Spotted Thread

I spotted a bright pink Gambella 928 Porsche monstrosity on Nelsons Bay Road NSW. Looked like Dr Edelstone's Porker from the '80s. He didn't spot me.

it was for sale on gumtree for ages for $14k. i would've considered it for $8k. it's different and 80s enough to be cool

Every day, as part of my commute, I ride across the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the train. I look away from the cryptic and out the window for P-cars. It's very rare that I don't see at least one. Mostly Carreras and Cayennes, sometimes a Boxster or two and on rare occasions, a Cayman. The record so far is 5 P-cars on one crossing.

I know of a red 964 coupe that is always parked in a multistory carpark near my office. I also see lots of Ps in the CBD in Melbourne. Mostly late models.

I did see a horrible sight around Oct... driving down the Monash 6 or 7pmish, I'm in the left lane and suddenly all the traffic in the right hand lanes starts slowing down. A huge queue builds. As I get to the front of this long line of traffic I see a 911 SC (I think it was) with what looked like the tail shaft sitting under the car on the road. Driver on the phone and just STUCK there in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic. Nobody could stop to help him. He certainly couldn't get out of his car either, he was just stuck there.

I felt so bad for the poor guy. Wish I could have helped him but given he was on the phone, I'd say he was on the way to getting what he needed.

... a better mechanic?

yeh or maybe a mechanic (as in he didn't have one before) or even a big push!

I saw this being driven on Sat night, near Batman Park Northcote

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-911-1979-13992094?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=35&page=3&eapi=2&__N=903%201216%201247&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Price%3aMin%2c60000~1&items=%5bMake%3aPORSCHE%5d&sort=default

Half shafts (911's dont have 'tail shafts') are known to come loose if they are not re-torqued after 500k's and or Shnor washers are not installed with new CV bolts... ;-b #justsaying

Good spotting though Amanda.

Cool, thanks for correcting me Ronny. I was just going by what I remember seeing my dad or brother installing in my old pink xy many many years ago :) Given the placement of the engine in the 911, I wasn't sure what it was actually called. I'll be mechanically minded yet!!

I'm driving around the western suburbs of Sydney and I'm surprised by how few porkers I see.

I made some progress with mine today, got the Aussie compliance check done and subsequently ordered myself a number plate... AU 911. Hopefully I'll be on the road in a few weeks. once the paperwork has been back & forth!

I'm driviing around the western suburbs of Sydney and I'm surprised by how few porkers I see.

Not surprised mate....not in the western suburbs...they're more interested in HRT Commodores. The only Porsches you see out there are stolen! :lol:

Up my way, there's quite a few P-cars. I regularly see a dark coloured Boxster with the plate "BOXTOOR". Don't know who that is...plus, there is another silver one buzzing around most weekends. Don't know if that's "Amanda986" who was on this forum late last year? There is also a nice white 911SC Targa parked IN THE STREET not 2 blocks from me. Hasn't moved in weeks, has spider webs between the tyre and the mudguard! Doish wanted to buy the wheels! I want to buy the car! Sigh...no garage space left!

Thursday must be the day for Targa's, within 45 minutes I saw a red i.b targa on Victoria Rd Rozelle,a white sc targa in Rushcutters Bay, a dark green sc targa next to me in the Kings Cross tunnel being driven by a young lady, then a few minutes later on William St a silver longhood targa, a silver 997 turbo and a boxster.

Regards.....Dominic

I am starting to warm to the idea of an early G series Targa as a Sunday car.

I've been keeping my eye on them for the last six months with the same idea would also be a great hill-climb / motorkhana vehicle.

and a few cheap one around in WA.