WTB: 964/993 manual coupe

Crayon GT3

42 minutes ago, Crayon GT3 said:

Hi all, looking to add a 964 or a 993 to the garage. Coupe, ideally C2, manual and RHD. Cash waiting, please pm me if you're selling or if you have any leads. Thanks!

What’s your budget?

Holy cow! 200K!!

I checked on Carsales and yes, that’s what vendors are seeking at the top of the market.

Perhaps wait for the market to cool ...?

Porsche made around 33,000 C4 and C2 964’s.

993 .. around 42,000 C2 and C4 made.

I know, supply and demand but really, 200K?

Perhaps I need to get out more ...

5 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Holy cow! 200K!!

Porsche made around 33,000 C4 and C2 964’s.

Skids, how many manual 964C2 coupes do you reckon landed in OZ? 

S.F.A. relatively.  Them late eighties, early nineties was tough for papa.

1 hour ago, KGB said:

Skids, how many manual 964C2 coupes do you reckon landed in OZ? 

S.F.A. relatively.  Them late eighties, early nineties was tough for papa.

I‘ll check as I’ve got a bootleg copy of a Porsche Cars Australia data publication that sets all that out.

I remember the late 80’s and early 90’s well.  Just started out in owning a part of a business and then the excrement hit the rotational cooling device.  Great fun.  I’d just written the Big Cheque to buy a slice and then things went south and for about a year there I earned absolutely nothing along with my partners just trying to keep the place alive.  Nothing unique there as there were plenty that did it harder.  

And yes, that drove down local sales volumes in a big way for all brands and Porsche in particular I suppose (I was still running the XD Falcon at the time so not so in touch with that part of the auto market ...)

Low volumes in the Land of Oz might be a fact but I still struggle to get my head around values at 200K when they were the volume model in the range.   I’ve got the same perspective on the SC and 3.2 Carrera and where those prices are at.  I’m not trying to be a low volume/limited run snob here.  It just feels a bit out of kilter to me.

I’m not saying they’re not worth it as price is determined by the market which, in the end, is driven by what the buyer is prepared to pay.

If you’ve got one of these, great stuff.  I’ve been lucky enough to have had a 3.2 as well as a 964 and both are tremendous cars and in todays digital world, they are fine examples of what a drivers car is all about.  And I guess that will also drive values.

PS - just did some quick checking and 892 993’s came into Australia.  

I keep asking myself the same question, is it really worth it? If I look at European and US pricing it hurts but at the end of the day I'm late to the party here so I either suck it up or don't. It'd be great if @Skidmarks had a friend with a car to sell me at 100k because they don't get out much either but I suspect I'll be waiting for that call for a while.

And anyway, I don't want to be the richest dead man.

1 hour ago, Crayon GT3 said:

I keep asking myself the same question, is it really worth it? If I look at European and US pricing it hurts but at the end of the day I'm late to the party here so I either suck it up or don't. It'd be great if @Skidmarks had a friend with a car to sell me at 100k because they don't get out much either but I suspect I'll be waiting for that call for a while.

And anyway, I don't want to be the richest dead man.

I can get you one for 110 but it will need some work.  

I have been watching the US car wreck auctions over the past 6mths after i was quoted $US20k for a manual gearbox conversion kit. 993 wrecks have been selling between $US25k > $US35k. The one in the above photo would pull $35K easily if kit more. 

10 hours ago, Crayon GT3 said:

I like 110, how much work exactly? 😀

I’d budget around 45K to get it absolutely right.  Local car.  I looked at it a while ago for someone else.  It may have gone but if you like, I can reach out and see if its still on the market.

7 hours ago, Dalai said:

Arthur 'Skismarks' Daley. Just driven to church on Sundays.

602262d1327606630-my-crashed-993-96-for-

I’d start with an orbital sander and finish with some wet and dry ... done.

16 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

(I was still running the XD Falcon at the time so not so in touch with that part of the auto market ...)

Remember to this day those bloody external door handles. 
As a teenager finding he’s own strength opening the door to jump in the passenger seat pulled the door handle clean off. 
The boss said it’s ok son happens all the time as I sheepishly handed him he’s door handle!

When ever I see one of those XD,XE,XF I just see the bloody door handles smiling at me 😁

13 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

I have been watching the US car wreck auctions over the past 6mths after i was quoted $US20k for a manual gearbox conversion kit. 993 wrecks have been selling between $US25k > $US35k. The one in the above photo would pull $35K easily if kit more. 

I'm with you, I've looked at all the options too. Buy a C4 and convert, buy a tip and convert etc etc.

Did you see this option:

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/shop-product/964-gearbox-conversions/

I haven't checked it out so I don't know if they make a kit or the cost...

7 hours ago, Grimmy said:

As a teenager finding he’s own strength opening the door to jump in the passenger seat pulled the door handle clean off. 
The boss said it’s ok son happens all the time as I sheepishly handed him he’s door handle!

When ever I see one of those XD,XE,XF I just see the bloody door handles smiling at me 😁

Yep my first car was a XD ute and I replaced many a door handle on that car . Also pulled the hand brake once and ripped it the whole way out.😒

On 14/04/2021 at 15:20, Skidmarks said:

I‘ll check as I’ve got a bootleg copy of a Porsche Cars Australia data publication that sets all that out.

I remember the late 80’s and early 90’s well.  Just started out in owning a part of a business and then the excrement hit the rotational cooling device.  Great fun.  I’d just written the Big Cheque to buy a slice and then things went south and for about a year there I earned absolutely nothing along with my partners just trying to keep the place alive.  Nothing unique there as there were plenty that did it harder.  

I have foggy recall of 170 964C2 (manual?) coupes being imported, probably way off though...

I have crystal clear recollection of stopping off at the ATM on the way home on an early 90’s Monday evening to replenish the weekend’s spending only to be confronted by a $0 balance on the business account.  Sobering. 😳

On 15/04/2021 at 07:43, Grimmy said:

😂😂😂 I don't know anyone who has owned an XD etc and not broken one of those bastard things!

17 minutes ago, LeeM said:

😂😂😂 I don't know anyone who has owned an XD etc and not broken one of those bastard things!

Were the Fairmont door handles any better (given it was apparently the luxury Falcon)? Wikipedia is awesome for Poms 😀 Apparently there was a European Sports Pack (ESP) which was option 54. I can only imagine that this is the connection with the PFA 😂

12 minutes ago, LeeM said:

OK, I wont tell you _ BUT I have owned a 1984 XE ESP ex FMC exec vehicle since 1986 and never broken a handle. (OK it's been in the garage since 1991, but still true) 

PA180152.JPG

PA180135.JPG

PA180150.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG