Painting 996 Graphite Grey Interior

Sov

Morning!

New member here looking for some insight. What are my options with repainting badly damaged trim? Does anyone have experience, either DIY or professionally, with advice and/or suggestions? I've seen a photo of one with parts painted in exterior silver/grey and it looked nice to my eyes. Just evaluating my options before proceeding.

Are you talking about the centre console?  It appears that body colour was an option (as per my 996.1 GT3) but my 996.2 C2 had a black rubberised type coating.  I think that might be quite difficult to repair, but I'm sure the pro's have a way of fixing / redoing.  I think I would actually prefer the black rubberised coating

3 hours ago, Barks said:

I had mine hydro dipped for the Carbon look. The rubberised surface was looking very shabby..

Never had hydro dipping done @barks.  Is it available in different finishes?

would you recommend the place you used?

I just fitted a spankers black centre console.   I have the original black rubberised console which is perfect except for the scuffs and scratches in the coating.   Might be an option if anyone wants to have it painted.  After making me a fair offer for what is a $1000 plus new buy, of course!  😜

If you remove your console yourself be attentive to the underside of the handbrake lever, leather scratches easily during removal and refitment.

30 minutes ago, KGB said:

I just fitted a spankers black centre console.   I have the original black rubberised console which is perfect except for the scuffs and scratches in the coating.   Might be an option if anyone wants to have it painted.  After making me a fair offer for what is a $1000 plus new buy, of course!  😜

If you remove your console yourself be attentive to the underside of the handbrake lever, leather scratches easily during removal and refitment.

Just thinking about doing exactly that. 

Great work @KGB

12 hours ago, luzzo said:

Just thinking about doing exactly that. 

Great work @KGB

An hour to get it out, an hour to transfer the 748 clips, lids etc, 2.5 minutes to install.  Better if your handbrake is super slack and poorly maintained, mine wasn’t!  And don’t forget the screw beneath the coin “rack”.

Whoever formulated the original plastics should be shrink wrapped in them and dropped from a great sticky height. 💩

2 hours ago, KGB said:

An hour to get it out, an hour to transfer the 748 clips, lids etc, 2.5 minutes to install.  Better if your handbrake is super slack and poorly maintained, mine wasn’t!  And don’t forget the screw beneath the coin “rack”.

Whoever formulated the original plastics should be shrink wrapped in them and dropped from a great sticky height. 💩

Yep, that coin rack bolt is a killer 🙂  

• 2 weeks later...

My 2004 996 Turbo interior was excellent in most respects, except for the rubberised finish on the centre console and several scratches on the dash edges and door material.  I pulled out the centre console (lots of videos showing this) and it was very easy.  Then I stripped and sanded the plastic moulded piece/s and coated them with a decent plastic primer and sprayed with a low sheen finish of Graphite Grey. Back in and it looks great and will survive any seat belt clasp or other attacks in future.  The leather scratches were a different matter.  I tried mixing several dyes that I had to get the right shade, but none matched with dry.  Then I found a company called ColourLock in the UK and Australia (https://www.colourlockaustralia.com.au)  and they sent me some correct colour dye for my original interior colour code. Cost was around $50 for a quite decent amount.  It matched so perfectly that I can't see where I did the work on the leather scratches.

• 8 months later...

Decided my next project is to neaten up my 996.1 center console as it has enough scratch to annoy me.  Have been poking around looking for paint options and came across this:

Porsche Interior Paint Returns 911 to Show Condition – ColorBond Paint

I haven't done more than read the article however they seem to have direct Porsche colours... and are in the US .. opps.  Going to read more and also check out colourlock (as per Merv's post above).  Prefer to use a product that knows how to spell 🙂 .

Clicking around a little more ... Porsche specific paint colour here:

Porsche Interior Colors & Paint - L, V & HP Refinisher – ColorBond Paint

Will update as I move forward.

One thing I tired over Aussie day was spraying an ice cream container with Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric paint to see how closely it replicated my 996 Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint Aerosol Paint, Flat Black - 311g | Supercheap Auto . I did this as it kept coming up in my searching and could have been an easy solution.

Unfortunately I was unable to get a consistent coal with the spray ... sometimes it came out as gloss black ... other times it seemed as if there was a white sheen over the paint.  Even when I didn't have this issue, I seemed to get marks in the paint.  I'm thinking the issue is that this is meant to be a vinyl and fabric paint, whereas I was spraying onto plastic (like I wold if recovering my interior pieces).  

Looking closely at the colourlock option at the moment.  Believe replication of the rubbery finish will be difficult with any solution .. as the rubbery coat seems to be separate to the paint applied onto the plastic parts. 

I just did my 997 console and related trim pieces with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric (matt black) yesterday.  I think it came out great!  Am at work so only have the 'before' photos but will post the 'afters' when I get home.  With the console itself, I initially tried just sanding the 'rubber coating' back to flat but it was a nightmare as the stuff is so gummy that it clogs up the sandpaper very quickly and creates a huge mess.  Results were pretty ordinary.  I ended up coating it with a few coats of plastic primer/filler, sanded back to flat and then sprayed with 7-8 lightish coats of Duplicolor.  It's not absolutely perfect but it's about 90% and that's good enough for me, particularly given how bad it was to start with.

The only doubt I have is whether I should have put a coat of clear over the top.  The Duplicolor looks great but has a slightly rough texture which seems to pick up dust quite easily.  I'll review that over time and see whether it bugs me enough to pull the trim out again and (try to) fix.

No idea how it'll hold up but the reports I've read suggest that this stuff is pretty durable.

EDIT - have now added the 'after' photos.  In those, it looks as though there's discolouration but that's just the way the camera piced up the light.  In real life, it's pretty much as good as new.  Now to sort out the leather(ish) console compartment cover.....

PXL_20220125_063721146.MP.jpg

PXL_20220125_063729911.jpg

PXL_20220125_063750497.jpg

PXL_20220128_055828631.jpg

PXL_20220128_055856063.jpg

Edited by GregM
Added more photos.

• 1 year later...
On 31/01/2022 at 23:34, MARTY said:

I’d second Bill Mousa he did my interior including centre console backend of last year and now looks so much better 

B96F62EA-1B95-42D2-A418-A6F8ECB3FA64.jpeg

B5A80B6B-DEF8-47BC-ABE9-AFCD4EB4A2AD.jpeg

This looks awesome! Can you share where you bought the grey color spray to redo it and if you removed the center console completely or repaired in place?

Can you also share the process? Did you have to sand everything down? Use primer? How many coats of paint after? The work looks immaculate👍🏼

55 minutes ago, spiller said:

If there was a way to replicate the finish/colour of the factory rubberised black centre console without the fragility of the rubbery bit, I’d be all about that. Mine is in very good nick but every little mark gouges at my brain when I drive the car. I should really get more or a life.

Recover in leather I think would look good and be durable match the cars interior also DYI .

On 28/02/2023 at 15:28, tomo said:

Recover in leather I think would look good and be durable match the cars interior also DYI .

The factory leather consoles did look great. I wouldn’t be opposed to basalt black I match the exterior, then PPF it. I would only do that if I had a factory original in storage. 

1 minute ago, spiller said:

The factory leather consoles did look great. I wouldn’t be opposed to basalt black I match the exterior, then PPF it. I would only do that if I had a factory original in storage. 

There was one on F/B awhile back, But F/B does not enspire trust for a transaction ;)

11 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I have one taken out of a 986 Boxster we parted out that is available for anyone who wants to do a leather covered replacement.....

Have you got the ash tray and the part that goes around the window switches to go with it Peter?