Australian Delivered 1987-1989 G50 911 Delivery Numbers

Hi everyone,

I've noticed not too man Australian delivered G50 cars come up for sale. Given interest rates at that point in the late 80's aswell. I don't imagine too many were sold. 

Does anyone know if there are records of how many were actually sold? Colours etc. 

ive got an 87 with a smooth g50, so keen to hear numbers too.

Although mine is shrouded in backdatey stuff and hotroddy gear. oh... and not so aust delivered. what the heck im still keen to hear about the stats.

Under there somewhere is a little 3.2 trying to say hi but i just whack him with my backdate/hotrod paddle...!!  😁.

6 minutes ago, James P said:

Aus delivered numbers for all variants of the 3.2 G50

1987 = 81

1988 = 102

1989 = 163

Thanks for the reply @James P

Does that include the wide body varient? 

Does Porsche have a breakdown of colours and all body varients also? 

I rememeber seeing a photo of a cassis red coupe at the track a while back. Can't be too many of those!

2 minutes ago, wangan said:

Thanks for the reply @James P

Does that include the wide body varient, cab and targa? 

Does Porsche have a breakdown of colours also? 

I rememeber seeing a photo of a cassis red coupe at the track a while back. Can't be too many of those!

No breakdown of colours that i have, the numbers are all variants, coupe, targa cab, wide body  

15 minutes ago, James P said:

No breakdown of colours that i have, the numbers are all variants, coupe, targa cab, wide body  

Thanks James. 

I might try contacting Porsche. Wouldn't hurt to ask. 

Edit - 40 speedsters and approx 7 M491 

I'd also be interested in colour numbers. Even to know what colours members on here have if they've got a G50 car. I have a list of all the colour options from new (attached). 

I've never seen espresso brown, diamond blue, nougat, lagoon green and cassis red on coupes. 

Seen quite a few granite green, Venetian blue and metallic silver from the optional colours. 

I also think alot of the of the roughly 300 cars after you deduct the speedster and turbo bodied cars would have been convertibles. They were popular and there's always a few on carsales at any given time. 

Screenshot_20210730-140051_Gallery.jpg

18 hours ago, wangan said:

Hi everyone,

I've noticed not too man Australian delivered G50 cars come up for sale. Given interest rates at that point in the late 80's aswell. I don't imagine too many were sold. 

Does anyone know if there are records of how many were actually sold? Colours etc. 

I think you must be a bit young to recall the late 1980s.  They sold a pile of them (As the previous posters have listed).  It was a financial free for all in the car market and it wasn't just Porsche.  Ferrari in 1988 had a two year wait for the 328 GTS after Enzo died that November and if you wanted a new G50 equipped 911, in Melbourne at least, it was an 11 month wait. A new 928 S4 was $237,500 and they sold every one allocated.  Happy days!

Come January 1990 and the party stopped.  But it was fun whilst it lasted!

I may have been been getting the 964 mixed up. It was a while ago now. I do remember there was a decline in sales for a few particular model years. Maybe it was 90-91'. 

Regardless, still interested in the numbers if anyone has any info. 

Good thread.  Mine is still a stock car and was a Nov 1987 built car, sold in early '88.  My friend's is a March '89 sale.  Both in GP White.  Mine came with every option that Porsche seemed to have in their book at the time - sports seats, sunroof, AC with the 'auto' setting, the amplified stereo pack, electric mirrors, central locking, cruise control and so on. The only option not ticked was the heavy spoiler-for which I am grateful.

These are such strong well made cars and they must have cost a mint back then. The low sales numbers are not surprising given that these were the last of the TYP 911 cars and people were looking for new models and the 928.

Does anyone have any photos of the rare colours here in Australia.

I managed to find these a while ago. 

Cassis red, one of my favourites. Yet to see it in person. 

Granite green also, which is a bit more common compared to the other optional colours. 

Screenshot_20210731-091803_Gallery.jpg

images (5).jpeg

Mine is Marine Blue Metallic, with Marine Blue interior, Built August 87, Sold December 87(John Newell)

C23 Australian Delivery

261 Electric Door Mirror

341 Central Locking

425 Rear Wiper

454 Cruise Control (why would you option that on a 911)

559 Alarm System

650 Electric Sun Roof

975 Velour Carpet In Luggage Area (Again why)

Edited by CarreraG50
Typo

1 hour ago, CarreraG50 said:

Mine is Marine Blue Metallic, with Marine Blue interior, Built August 87, Sold December 87(John Newell)

C23 Australian Delivery

251 Electric Door Mirror

341 Central Locking

425 Rear Wiper

454 Cruise Control (why would you option that on a 911)

559 Alarm System

650 Electric Sun Roof

975 Velour Carpet In Luggage Area (Again why)

That is the exact same spec as my car @CarreraG50, bar mine being a March 87 delivered to John Newell. 

I was about to say I've never seen another marine blue one around. 

My electric mirror is option 261 and air-conditioning is option 559 for me. 

I also have cruise control. Go figure! 

3 minutes ago, rminc said:

That is the exact same spec as my car @CarreraG50, bar mine being a March 87 delivered to John Newell. 

I was about to say I've never seen another marine blue one around. 

My electric mirror is option 261 and air-conditioning is option 559 for me. 

I also have cruise control. Go figure! 

Hey wait, mine has air con,  its not listed as an option, just realised that after 15 years of ownership, and some people think I'm slow......

Just now, CarreraG50 said:

Hey wait, mine has air con,  its not listed as an option, just realised that after 15 years of ownership, and some people think I'm slow......

Air con is option 559. Are you sure your car has an alarm. Alarm is a different code as far as I know. 

12 minutes ago, rminc said:

Air con is option 559. Are you sure your car has an alarm. Alarm is a different code as far as I know. 

Its the option codes PORSCHE (Cristian Keay) gave me, the white sticker under the hood and in the book list the same numbers but of course they don't tell you what the options actually are. (And electric door mirror is 261 on mine as well, typo earlier I'll try and edit it) definitely alarm fitted.

1 hour ago, CarreraG50 said:

Its the option codes PORSCHE (Cristian Keay) gave me, the white sticker under the hood and in the book list the same numbers but of course they don't tell you what the options actually are. (And electric door mirror is 261 on mine as well, typo earlier I'll try and edit it) definitely alarm fitted.

I just double checked the options list from Porsche and 533 is alarm system and 559 is air conditioning. Might be an error in there somewhere though. Who knows. 

I have been doing a little research on these cars with insurance assessors and colleagues I know in the used car industry.  While there has been some drop in “sold” values for some early 911s and even base model 356s , these last of the TYP 911 have increased in the last 6 months particularly.

Mine also has factory fitted cruise control and air conditioning.

Had the a/c fully replaced last year, will get the cruise working again one day but from memory, it’s pretty rudimentary. Kept speed +/- 5kmh, but any increase or decrease initiated on the stalk was in 10kmh increments.

1 hour ago, wilburforce said:

Do M491 3.2 with G50's ever come up for sale?  I can't remember seeing one - apparently rarer than rocking horse shit!

I was offered an Aussie delivered one a while ago. Here's a link to another one that was sold by Porschaden: 

https://www.theporschaden.com.au/1989-porsche-911-carrera-32-wide

I honestly don't see the appeal in the M491 at all. It's basically a sheep in wolf's clothing. I much prefer the weight saving of the narrow body. If I wanted a turbo body, I'd buy the turbo. That's just me though.

Are there any others on here that have G50 coupes. Apart from the few mentioned above? Would love to see some others if there are any around. 

I started to put in cars I know / saw into the VINwiki app.  It’s an American slanted product for sure but keeps track of VINs over time.  You can create lists of cars over time (eg 87-89 911s in Australia).  Creates a valuable research tool over time. 

2 hours ago, rminc said:

I was offered an Aussie delivered one a while ago. Here's a link to another one that was sold by Porschaden: 

https://www.theporschaden.com.au/1989-porsche-911-carrera-32-wide

I honestly don't see the appeal in the M491 at all. It's basically a sheep in wolf's clothing. I much prefer the weight saving of the narrow body. If I wanted a turbo body, I'd buy the turbo. That's just me though.

Are there any others on here that have G50 coupes. Apart from the few mentioned above? Would love to see some others if there are any around. 

I think peak 80's 911 is the M491/930 shape - I'm at the other end of the scale where I don't want a turbo but love the look.  But being the owner of a scruffy 3.0 with a wide-body (non-M491) I am definately biased!

I would think given the rarity of these M491 coupes they'd be worth a huge amount in todays' market.