Australian Delivered 1987-1989 G50 911 Delivery Numbers

2 hours ago, rminc said:

I was offered an Aussie delivered one a while ago. Here's a link to another one that was sold by Porschaden: 

https://www.theporschaden.com.au/1989-porsche-911-carrera-32-wide

I honestly don't see the appeal in the M491 at all. It's basically a sheep in wolf's clothing. I much prefer the weight saving of the narrow body. If I wanted a turbo body, I'd buy the turbo. That's just me though.

Are there any others on here that have G50 coupes. Apart from the few mentioned above? Would love to see some others if there are any around. 

I'm sure many see the M491 as a fake Turbo but some also might view it as an enhanced 3.2 Carrera. Wider stance, thicker torsion bars and bigger tyres give it significantly more lateral grip than the narrow body and the Turbo (917) brakes are ridiculously good and a huge improvement over the standard 3.2 brakes. As a drivers car, the M491 is arguably better than the Turbo. Ask a Turbo owner how many times they changed gears on the 20km Reefton Spur and they'll tell you maybe once or twice. I'm sure the kick in the back of the Turbo never gets old though. 

5 hours ago, wilburforce said:

Do M491 3.2 with G50's ever come up for sale?  I can't remember seeing one - apparently rarer than rocking horse shit!

The last G50 M491 to hit the market was July 2019 $180k. Yes very rare. 28 G50 coupes out of 39 coupes in total.

On 02/08/2021 at 15:31, Simonk said:

The last G50 M491 to hit the market was July 2019 $180k. Yes very rare. 28 G50 coupes out of 39 coupes in total.

So in total 346 G50 cars. 

40 were speedsters and 28 M471 coupes. 

Leaving 278. I'd imagine at least half were convertibles or targas, which leaves around 139. Maybe 39 written off in the last 30+ years. Doesn't really leave many coupes. Lucky if there is 100 on the road. 

Explains why I had so much trouble trying to find one. 

If anyone has any more info on numbers, please do let me know. I wouldn't mind making a register. 

I've been keeping track over the last 3 or 4 years of narrow body coupes and I've come across the following for anyone that's interested. 

Coupe

X1 Black

X4 Red

X4 Granite Green

X2 Marine Blue

X5 Grand Prix White (2 mentioned in this thread and 2 Clubsport) 

X3 Silver (1 Clubsport) 

X1 Paint to Sample (Forrest Green) 

X2 Diamond Blue 

Total 22

Targa 

X1 Silver (This thread) 

Turbo body Coupe

X1 Grey 

Total X28

Speedster 

X2 Red

Total x40

2 hours ago, Simonk said:

I'm sure many see the M491 as a fake Turbo but some also might view it as an enhanced 3.2 Carrera. Wider stance, thicker torsion bars and bigger tyres give it significantly more lateral grip than the narrow body and the Turbo (917) brakes are ridiculously good and a huge improvement over the standard 3.2 brakes. As a drivers car, the M491 is arguably better than the Turbo. Ask a Turbo owner how many times they changed gears on the 20km Reefton Spur and they'll tell you maybe once or twice. I'm sure the kick in the back of the Turbo never gets old though. 

Horses for courses. I had a G50 car years ago and only remember how slow and unexciting it was. Aussie car so lower power output and relatively heavy due to being loaded to the hilt with options. M491 is even heavier.

I think the pick of the 3.2’s is an early series car with a 915 - better power and lower weight.  

930’s are a different proposition. 

52 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

Horses for courses. I had a G50 car years ago and only remember how slow and unexciting it was. Aussie car so lower power output and relatively heavy due to being loaded to the hilt with options. M491 is even heavier.

I think the pick of the 3.2’s is an early series car with a 915 - better power and lower weight.  

930’s are a different proposition. 

All about perception I guess. I've had both and much prefer the G50. More reliable and easier to drive. I don't want to turn this into a G50 vs 915 thread though. A well sorted 915 with a wevo is great too. In terms of the power, I think in cars that are this old it comes down to condition more than original power output. You'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between an 85 and 86 Carrera. 

If you put an identical early 3.2 84-85 and 87-89 for sale, the G50 fetches a premium every day of the week and not a small one either. The market shows G50 is more desirable. 

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Grand Prix White with Sports Seats.

IMG_20200601_162844.thumb.jpg.6f5ffdd5dd1bc62825f93bcc4641b029.jpg

IMG_20190801_071816.jpg

That looks like a very tidy car. I rememeber Porschaden had a white one in the middle of COVID lockdowns last year, sold very quick. Quite a few kms too. 260 from memory. 

6 hours ago, rminc said:

Are there any others on here that have G50 coupes. Apart from the few mentioned above? Would love to see some others if there are any around. 

A whole thread on mine: My Carrera 3.2 - Page 10 - Tribute, Track, or Hot Rod - PFA (porscheforum.com.au)

3 hours ago, Simonk said:

I'm sure many see the M491 as a fake Turbo 

Yes, opening the engine lid on a M491 makes me think of THAT scene in the Crying Game!

https://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/15/the-crying-game-that-scene

4 hours ago, Simonk said:

Many years ago I had the pleasure of doing Reefton Spur in my 930 whilst being chased by my brother on his R1, we stopped at the top and were both shaking from the adrenaline.

2 hours ago, wangan said:

You'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between an 85 and 86 Carrera. 

If you put an identical early 3.2 84-85 and 87-89 for sale, the G50 fetches a premium every day of the week and not a small one either. The market shows G50 is more desirable. 

Disagree with the first and agree with the second. 

On 30/07/2021 at 12:07, rminc said:

I've never seen espresso brown, diamond blue, nougat, lagoon green and cassis red on coupes. 

Here's my 1987 G50 Carrera in Diamond Blue.

It's actually one of the Commemorative Edition 911s that was produced to commemorate the 250,000 911 to be built on the production line. 

According to Porsche data and confirmed by Porsche Australia, 875 Diamond Blue 911's were made worldwide with 300 going to the USA, 250 to Germany, 50 to the UK and only 5 to Australia.  Of those 5 to Australia I believe there was at least one cab and a targa, so probably only 2 or 3 coupes.

Mine is in mint condition with only 130,000 km's and a multiple concours d'elegance winner.  Such a gorgeous car and I recently replaced the G50 shifter bushings so she drives beautifully and tight again.

1987 Diamon Blue 911 G50.jpg

1 hour ago, Diamond911 said:

Here's my 1987 G50 Carrera in Diamond Blue.

It's actually one of the Commemorative Edition 911s that was produced to commemorate the 250,000 911 to be built on the production line. 

According to Porsche data and confirmed by Porsche Australia, 875 Diamond Blue 911's were made worldwide with 300 going to the USA, 250 to Germany, 50 to the UK and only 5 to Australia.  Of those 5 to Australia I believe there was at least one cab and a targa, so probably only 2 or 3 coupes.

Mine is in mint condition with only 130,000 km's and a multiple concours d'elegance winner.  Such a gorgeous car and I recently replaced the G50 shifter bushings so she drives beautifully and tight again.

1987 Diamon Blue 911 G50.jpg

I had a diamond blue 911 too. It was an 89 coupe... completely original. Great car, loved it. Bought it at PCM cos my mate had a 993 then bought a brand new 996 in early 2000s and the porsche bug infected me after a few rides... Eventually sold it 3 yrs later for the same price I bought it.... looked just like this one!

19 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Yeap wasn’t it from 231 to 207HP?

My recollection is that the Australian delivered '84 and '85 MY were 170kW (231hp), reducing to 152kW (207hp) with the reduction of compression ratio and ignition advance and the addition of a exhaust catalyst due to the move to 91RON unleaded in 1986 but this increased to 160kW (217) on later models when 95RON became available here and they could run more advance.

But I can't find a reference source to indicate when the ECU changed on the lower compression catalysed 930.26 engines to allow this jump from 152 to 160kW to occur.

Any 3.2 nerds out there to confirm?

As for the performance change between the 231 and the 207hp cars, Porsche publicised a increase in 0 to 100kph time from 6.1 to 6.5 seconds.   

Although when Modern Motor tested an 3.2 against a 944 turbo in August 1986, the  207hp car ran 6.23 seconds against the Turbo's 6.32!