Australian Delivered 1987-1989 G50 911 Delivery Numbers

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

I was thinking you guys were all getting a bit carried away until I saw what CTS had on this bitsa SC:

1980 Porsche 911 SC - Classic Throttle Shop 

If I recall correctly this was a PFA forum members car?  

I recall it being advertised on here (but can't find the Ad). Although no longer completely original, I remember the Ad details, and it seemed an awesome resto. 

>devoid of the electronic gizmos that increasingly found their way into Porsche's throughout the 1980’s and beyond

…you mean helpful electronic gizmos like Motronic EFI?  :D

13 minutes ago, rminc said:

Be interesting to see what the next G50 that pops up is listed for.

I’d say they are all trading hands off market, or that Greshams law is in full effect - bad money makes good money disappear.

45 minutes ago, rminc said:

Hard to price considering how uncommon they are. 360ish odd built from memory. Of them how many are coupes and how many are still around? 

I found one hidden in WA last year, purchased it with the intention of having a bit more fun with it, as it wasn't as clean as my current one (still pretty good though, considering what's out there). A friend of a friend wanted it and in the end the offer was too good to pass up.

My point being you might have a $150k car, but if someone's been looking for a year, or maybe a couple more, they might pay 10-20% over market just to have it now because they're sick of waiting. Then it can be a $180k car. G50s aren't common and they're pretty sought after, so I'd try your luck with the higher asking price. Worst that can happen, is you drop the price. 

I even offered the guy I purchased my '85 model from $10k more than the carsales price, just so he could take it down, because I knew it would sell quick and I had enough of looking. 

On 14/07/2022 at 17:30, rminc said:

This '89 came to market a week or so ago I think @ $275K.  Albeit, widebody. I assume factory M491 for that price given that it is a targa, but the ad doesn't state this or provide evidence.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-5943842/?Cr=6

55 minutes ago, Diamond911 said:

This '89 came to market a week or so ago I think @ $275K.  Albeit, widebody. I assume factory M491 for that price given that it is a targa, but the ad doesn't state this or provide evidence.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-5943842/?Cr=6

No doubt a nice looking car, one persons definition of "full engine rebuild" is always worth closer investigation.  For engines that are often referred to as bullet proof, why dive in deep at only 150,000 k's, would be an interesting discussion.

• 4 weeks later...

My insurance renewal is due later this month with Famous.  Considering my options with Enthusiast as well.

1987 G50 coupe, Aussie delivered, matching numbers, only 132K km's, stock standard (apart from stainless exhaust), mint condition, multiple concours winner, Diamond Blue Commemorative Edition (only 875 made, only 5 to Australia)

Just wondering what to reinsure it for?  Currently insured for $150K, but I'm thinking $200K....

(Enthusiast didn't question $150K but requested photos to support $200K if I go with them).

Thoughts/opinions welcome......thanks

3.2 Carrera.jpg

On 14/07/2022 at 13:46, Peter M said:

I was thinking you guys were all getting a bit carried away until I saw what CTS had on this bitsa SC:

1980 Porsche 911 SC - Classic Throttle Shop

No market softening evident here and I now concede to your valuations!

On 19/07/2022 at 14:53, Diamond911 said:

Porsche 911 Carrera - Ruby Red Metallic - Autohaus Hamilton

There has been no sales with these 3 cars in the last month.  Maybe the market isn't as strong as we were thinking?

31 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Porsche 911 Carrera - Ruby Red Metallic - Autohaus Hamilton

There has been no sales with these 3 cars in the last month.  Maybe the market isn't as strong as we were thinking?

I think asking close to $200k for SC's and 3.2's is a bit of stretch considering their age where most buyers would also be budgeting for things like top end and gearbox rebuilds etc. I think these were selling quite strongly when they were priced around the $140k mark.

BTW the red SC at CTS is not a bitsa! its a very well sorted example of an SC with all the work done by PFA member here in Vic..its a beautiful car in the flesh and very tastefully modified. Just my opinion but I don't think that the non standard paint (slightly darker guards red) or the Sports seats qualify it as a bitsa..still matching numbers I believe.

54 minutes ago, G5032 said:

Just my opinion but I don't think that the non standard paint (slightly darker guards red) or the Sports seats qualify it as a bitsa..still matching numbers I believe.

Nah, wasn't concerned with the paint colour or the seats, which are nicely reupholstered BTW.

I didn't like the 3.2 front apron, the side stripes, the naff Rennline interior "upgrades", the strut bar, the disco look stereo head unit, the lightweight SC badge sticker and the modified airbox.

I'm sure it's a good car but I think these modifications actually distract from the essentially good bones of the car rather than enhancing it as an overall package.  Hence the bitsa comment.

It would also present better if the sunroof opening was cleaned up too.

Just my opinion....😉

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

I didn't like the 3.2 front apron, the side stripes, the naff Rennline interior "upgrades", the strut bar, the disco look stereo head unit, the lightweight SC badge sticker and the modified airbox.

Those things are pretty easily changed if they aren’t to your taste. 

6 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

@Diamond911 my recent experience with Shannon’s tells me that you should have no trouble in insuring it for 200k+

Agree. Shannon’s didn’t bat an eyelid at agreeing $150k last year for my 135K km 87 Targa, so $200k for a 1 of 5 coupe would be realistic.

I also have a Shannons policy. $225,000 for an '86 M491 Supersport coupe with 42,000 miles. It's a 915 gearbox car.

It was originally a UK car but has been in Australia for over a decade and I've just had the body completely redone so the condition is close to perfect. While it owes me quite a bit more than the insured amount, this post has made me question if I have the right number on it. @m491supersport is the insta account for it.

Does anyone have any recent evidence that these cars are actually selling at these prices?

The other cars I follow where there are actual sales have been having their prices cut by 20% in recent weeks to actually move them on.  Surely 3.2's are off the boil too now?

I renewed mine with Shannon's about 4 months ago and they told me that at $135k it was underinsured compared to market value. I put it to $190k where it sits now without photos or any questioning by them. Premium barely moved too. 

1987 G50 Coupe. 

They did mention on the phone that the values for 87 and 88 models are a higher based on their market value. I'm guessing it's because it's a G50 car. I haven't seen a G50 coupe sell in almost a year to compare prices. So no idea what they're really worth. 

1 hour ago, rminc said:

1987 G50 Coupe. 

They did mention on the phone that the values for 87 and 88 models are a higher based on their market value. I'm guessing it's because it's a G50 car.

I was recently on the phone with Shannon's for other vehicles, and as talking I usually ask about the agreed value on them all. The above is what they told me too. 

Therefore mine is still at $150K which appears the ceiling for pre G50 3.2's given my discussions with them a number of times over the last year.

39 minutes ago, sus911 said:

........ try & find a replacement.

That's the nub of it Phil, good ones appear to be few and far between and to my mind expensive! 

I suspect many of us would not bother and would fill the space left in the garage with something else.

A XJR Jag and a couple more Dukes would fill that space nicely in my mind!

11 minutes ago, Peter M said:

That's the nub of it Phil, good ones appear to be few and far between and to my mind expensive! 

I suspect many of us would not bother and would fill the space left in the garage with something else.

A XJR Jag and a couple more Dukes would fill that space nicely in my mind!

True, but that's way more space!