Show us your Backdate

New topic (I think)

Stories, journeys, projects etc, lets have a look.

I was very fortunate to buy this car a short while ago. Its been delivered now & I have done some "finishing off" bits & pieces which I like.

The car is very quick & sounds amazing & has just about all the things done to it that I would have done myself. Colour is Glacier Blue, interior is brilliant & like new, seats front & rear in Porsche Madras aqua blue fabric. Engine & gearbox rebuilt by Auto Art, paint & body conversion by Skunkwerks.

Very, very happy with this one.

IMG_2430.thumb.JPG.5957418f3a047316798bda5a03a35ca3.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

Ok, I'll bite

Bought my Hong Kong SC a bit over 6 years ago with the sole purpose to backdate it, as I've never been a fan of the impact bumpers.

Long story short, I flogged off the standard bits that paid for all the backdate bits and some change. Having no experience with bodywork, what better place to start than on a Porsche ay? I Cut the rear reflector panel off and fitted the backdate bumper in about 2.5 hours start to finish, and it even lined up as it needed to be! Then with some trial and error and a few sweary words (plus Jack Daniels and red wine) I fitted the really crap quality fibreglass front indicator bezels with some tape, hot melt glue to hold them in place then fibreglass matting. I did a pretty dodgy job of it if I'm honest, yet more bog and sanding helped hide the imperfections to be acceptable for my level of quality. 

It's not perfect body wise (apart from the right hand side, which I practically wrote off against a guard rail and was repaired by professionals and is near mint) yet I wanted a car I could drive and not care about too much which I've achieved.

I STUPIDLY sold the sport seats to a member here, so it has some old beige coloured Stratos seats I bought for bugger all and dyed them black (top tip: leave that job to the pros if you want a good job!), yet they're bloody comfortable and will eventually be recovered with black and houndstooth or something else that I've seen on another US car.

I've got some pretty rare Ronal P9/Penta rims on it (16 x 7 and 8's), yet they'll be getting sold off and replaced with some RSR style Fuchs from @Classic Wheels Australia eventually. 

A Supercheap suede steering wheel and a Wevo shifter, and that's about it. The 3.0 in it is a cracker of an engine with more torque than any other air cooled I've driven, so I'd say something has been tweaked there. It has SSi headers and some sort of 2 in 1 out muffler that sounds kinda 2.7ish, yet the goal there is to find a cheap M&K if there is such a thing to make it a bit louder. I also have some megaphones I fitted for a while, but man they're bloody loud and I'd prefer not to suffer from tinnitus if I can help it, yet I'll organise some baffling for them as they're pretty cool to look at. Overall even though its mine, it honestly is very nice car to drive. 

Saying all that, after my stack and the repairs, I would like to fix it up and do a blow over paint job to even it all up and look nice, but I've basically lost interest in the car for the past few months, and its just under a cover in the shed waiting for me to find some enthusiasm 

20191230-213504.jpg

20190927-122319.jpg

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

Ok, I'll bite

Bought my Hong Kong SC a bit over 6 years ago with the sole purpose to backdate it, as I've never been a fan of the impact bumpers.

Long story short, I flogged off the standard bits that paid for all the backdate bits and some change. Having no experience with bodywork, what better place to start than on a Porsche ay? I Cut the rear reflector panel off and fitted the backdate bumper in about 2.5 hours start to finish, and it even lined up as it needed to be! Then with some trial and error and a few sweary words (plus Jack Daniels and red wine) I fitted the really crap quality fibreglass front indicator bezels with some tape, hot melt glue to hold them in place then fibreglass matting. I did a pretty dodgy job of it if I'm honest, yet more bog and sanding helped hide the imperfections to be acceptable for my level of quality. 

It's not perfect body wise (apart from the right hand side, which I practically wrote off against a guard rail and was repaired by professionals and is near mint) yet I wanted a car I could drive and not care about too much which I've achieved.

I STUPIDLY sold the sport seats to a member here, so it has some old beige coloured Stratos seats I bought for bugger all and dyed them black (top tip: leave that job to the pros if you want a good job!), yet they're bloody comfortable and will eventually be recovered with black and houndstooth or something else that I've seen on another US car.

I've got some pretty rare Ronal P9/Penta rims on it (16 x 7 and 8's), yet they'll be getting sold off and replaced with some RSR style Fuchs from @Classic Wheels Australia eventually. 

A Supercheap suede steering wheel and a Wevo shifter, and that's about it. The 3.0 in it is a cracker of an engine with more torque than any other air cooled I've driven, so I'd say something has been tweaked there. It has SSi headers and some sort of 2 in 1 out muffler that sounds kinda 2.7ish, yet the goal there is to find a cheap M&K if there is such a thing to make it a bit louder. I also have some megaphones I fitted for a while, but man they're bloody loud and I'd prefer not to suffer from tinnitus if I can help it, yet I'll organise some baffling for them as they're pretty cool to look at. Overall even though its mine, it honestly is very nice car to drive. 

Saying all that, after my stack and the repairs, I would like to fix it up and do a blow over paint job to even it all up and look nice, but I've basically lost interest in the car for the past few months, and its just under a cover in the shed waiting for me to find some enthusiasm 

20191230-213504.jpg

20190927-122319.jpg

Love the number plate , clever :rofl:

I suppose many of you already know my car, Harry. I bought it back in 2015 as a very rough complete car with a blown engine (pulled head studs) for $16k which even back then was a bargain.

IMG_2734.thumb.JPG.3c13d0c7f73a807666b9d535c31813e8.JPG

I spent about 5 years (and a lot of money) rebuilding it in my garage and it is the only car I have ever thought of as a 'keeper'. It is still not 'finished' and I doubt it ever will be, but I love it and I plan to enjoy it for a very long time.

157078093_2887532341567762_1837480122614783160_n.thumb.jpeg.0252e55194d286848f5e990d343ad198.jpeg

19 hours ago, LeeM said:

Hey @LeeM, you could of course just sell it to me, cheaply 😜😊😁

4 hours ago, Rick V said:

Hey @LeeM, you could of course just sell it to me, cheaply 😜😊😁

Or I could just do a swap with yours mate? Worth about the same aren't they? 😁😉

2 hours ago, PhilH said:

Or better still Lee, you could do a swap for a good 996.  I know of one.....and you do like Silver over Black 😂

Tempting...or possibly not 😅

Thanks for the generous offers gents, but I think I'll hang onto it for now 👍

• 1 year later...