Buying local delivered possible?

Unclehollywood

Is it possible to buy an "F" or "G" series 911, local delivered matching numbers car for less than $250k.

All the cars I see advertised are imported pigs, either lhd or converted. Still asking mad money.

Should I join a club and network to find these cars? I understand that they would be very tightly held.

Regards.

Ian

maxresdefault.jpg

Based on the above Targa price asked and now sold, this Aus cab looks alright:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1985-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-7144138/?Cr=4  Been up for a little while so maybe some wiggle room

On 29/01/2022 at 20:43, Dalai said:

Looks like I need to speak to the guys at the Shannon's stand tomorrow at the German car show to up my agreed value again!

How did you go with your Shannons negotiations @Dalai, did they come to the party?

33 minutes ago, Stepo said:

How did you go with your Shannons negotiations @Dalai, did they come to the party?

Didn't in the end. Was all a little warm and humid for me so after walking around the cars twice I ended up leaving around noon without speaking with them. I have the Datsun 1600 to add to my policy and increased my garaging so will just bring it up when I call them.

On 29/01/2022 at 16:17, Sabotage said:

Sorry for the noob question, but what's wrong with a personal imported car vs a factory imported car? Does paying extra for Porsche to bring it over make the car better somehow?

No real difference, although late adoption of unleaded in Oz meant higher power in some models vs imported up to 84.  But the main difference in Oz delivered is limited numbers.  It’s like a special edition with a little aluminium plate- rarer and something to differentiate it.  People have always paid more for Oz cars so when they sell they ask more and people pay more because of the plate.  And on it goes.  To be fair the good ones have more history and was a lot of cashing in by bringing in rusty cars and subpar conversions, which made imports less desirable.  But nothing stopping an import from being a well documented nice example or an Australian car a Frankenstein heap.  They are worth more because people believe they are worth more and are prepared to pay more - end of story.  

12 hours ago, Coastr said:

No real difference, although late adoption of unleaded in Oz meant higher power in some models vs imported up to 84. 

My understanding both 84 and 85 Australian delivered cars had the higher powered spec as per Europe. 86 was when Australian Delivered cars had a reduction in power due to our poor quality Unleaded...

On 29/01/2022 at 20:43, Dalai said:

Looks like I need to speak to the guys at the Shannon's stand tomorrow at the German car show to up my agreed value again!

I just spoke with Shannon's and was able to increase the agreed value of my car by 50%, fantastic value for a premium increase of just $10 per month.

6 hours ago, Dalai said:

My understanding both 84 and 85 Australian delivered cars had the higher powered spec as per Europe. 86 was when Australian Delivered cars had a reduction in power due to our poor quality Unleaded...

86 was when the new  cars had to run on unleaded fuel only, prior to that leaded fuel was still available.

On 04/08/2021 at 15:58, carl888 said:

207 HP came out with the 1986 MY and later 911 3.2 for Australia.

These engines were designed run on 91 RON by the addition of a jumper cable (Terminal 10) on the ECU loom.  This retarded the ignition by 3 degrees over the RoW catalysed engine which was designed for 95 RON and produced 217 HP.  This jumper was removed for Australia around the 1988 model year bringing the Australian engines into line with the RoW catalysed engines.  It takes about 45 seconds to convert a 207 HP car to 217.  You MUST therefor use 95 RON as a minimum requirement if you do this.

I have the technical information about this, I'll post it up later.

Here's a 1987 MY Australian price list.  You'll notice the high specification of the Australian specification 911s.  What you may think is an option, is possibly just a standard item for Australia (Version C23).

However I've seen some build plaques for Australian cars (The white sticker under the bonnet and in the service book) that list all the options (Even if standard for that market) along with C23, and some that just list C23 with no options listed.  

porsche_1987_pricelist_000068.jpg

On 04/08/2021 at 16:18, carl888 said:

That's actually not true, the sales numbers at the time from 1987 till 1989 were unprecedented.  There was no floor stock, everything was sold.  

Something is amiss, the VDO until works easily in 1/2 km/h increments and should hold the speed very steady

That appears to be a very nice car.  How refreshing to see one wearing the correct width  6" + 7" X 16" wheels

OK, here's the information about the 231/217/207 HP ECUs

porsche_1987_DME_1_000069.jpg

porsche_1987_DME_2_000070.jpg

1 hour ago, reedminor said:

86 was when the new  cars had to run on unleaded fuel only, prior to that leaded fuel was still available.

Carl did a good rundown that I've attached above.