Macan GTS vs S

I thinking of placing an order on a Macan later this year.  This came about when my wife said she liked the looked of the Macan and "that is the sort of car we should buy next".

You have to understand in my house that this is a very rare occurrence, so when it happens it is a good time to act quickly.

Ok now my question, short and sweet. 

I want a GTS but is it worth the extra $$$ over the S?

Not sure if you are aware but the range has changed its naming convention. The cars have all gone down a run, the S has become the previous GTS and the GTS is the previous Turbo. So it really comes down to what you are wanting. 

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I thinking of placing an order on a Macan later this year.  This came about when my wife said she liked the looked of the Macan and "that is the sort of car we should buy next".

You have to understand in my house that this is a very rare occurrence, so when it happens it is a good time to act quickly.

Ok now my question, short and sweet. 

I want a GTS but is it worth the extra $$$ over the S?

I’ve just done this very exercise.

The GTS is very well optioned as std , and depending on how carried away you get with optioning S,  the difference in my case was about $7k.

the 2023 model GTS  gets a few more options as std (mainly safety related) but adds approx $7k to the price.

I went for a very minimally optioned GTS in the end.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Had one of these for 4 days over the weekend while my GT3 was in..... for me I'd never buy one. In fact I struggled to figure out why anyone would buy one. Probably the wrong thread :Chuckle2:

Interesting feedback.  What Macan badge loan car were you driving? 

What were your main objections? 

Were you unhappy with being given an SUV as a loan car or Unhappy with the Macan compared to similar competitor's SUV's? 

1 hour ago, luzzo said:

Interesting feedback.  What Macan badge loan car were you driving? 

What were your main objections? 

Were you unhappy with being given an SUV as a loan car or Unhappy with the Macan compared to similar competitor's SUV's? 

Just my opinion, I know people love these things... however....

So after having one of these for the weekend (Macan S) the only thing I can surmise is that the people who buy one of these buy it for the badge, and/or because what they really want is a Porsche hot hatch but that doesn't exist (not criticising for badge snobbery fwiw).

Pros:

1. Makes a decent noise

2. Good at getting up to freeway speeds

3. Decent boot

4. Lots of buttons for those of us that like that sort of thing (rather than menus)

5. Supposedly can go off-road.

Cons:

1. The ride is too fidgety for our roads, especially for a SUV

2. Absolutely useless as a SUV - buy a Cayenne instead

3. Almost useless as a family car - too small (put my 4 and 6 year old in the back - didn't get to experiment with the 9 and 12 year old - but the 6 year old didn't have a lot of room behind me *)

4. 5 adults - only for very short trips. I wouldn't want to put 3 kids in the back to be honest.

5. While it handles well for a SUV, it still handles like you guessed it, a SUV. So what exactly is the point of that firm ride?

6. Interior is small but the car is wide as hell (for its interior size), so it isn't as easy to park as you think it will be.

7. Golf on stilts - buy the Golf R and save your money. Better yet buy the R wagon and you'll have more room, $50k in your pocket, and enjoy it more.

8. Due to the swoopy roof, I would not want to sit in the back for any more than 10 minutes at my height.

9. Who the hell is taking this thing off-road?

For the record I've had a Cayenne for the weekend before in base guise and really liked it for what it was, so it isn't a "Porsche shouldn't do SUVs" rant. I just think the Macan has a very limited use case. Either DINKS, Retirees, or 2nd+ car. The only thing is as a second car there are way better options unless you have to have the badge.

* I'm 6'1" but I sit very close to the wheel

tldr: good engines, does everything else with huge swathes of compromise

8 hours ago, sleazius said:

So after having one of these for the weekend (Macan S) the only thing I can surmise is that the people who buy one of these buy it for the badge, and/or because what they really want is a Porsche hot hatch but that doesn't exist (not criticising for badge snobbery fwiw).

Pros:

1. Makes a decent noise

3. Decent boot

4. Lots of buttons for those of us that like that sort of thing (rather than menus)

Cons:

3. Almost useless as a family car - too small (put my 4 and 6 year old in the back - didn't get to experiment with the 9 and 12 year old - but the 6 year old didn't have a lot of room behind me *)

4. 5 adults - only for very short trips. I wouldn't want to put 3 kids in the back to be honest.

5. While it handles well for a SUV, it still handles like you guessed it, a SUV. So what exactly is the point of that firm ride?

6. Interior is small but the car is wide as hell (for its interior size), so it isn't as easy to park as you think it will be.

7. Golf on stilts - buy the Golf R and save your money. Better yet buy the R wagon and you'll have more room, $50k in your pocket, and enjoy it more.

8. Due to the swoopy roof, I would not want to sit in the back for any more than 10 minutes at my height.

For the record I've had a Cayenne for the weekend before in base guise and really liked it for what it was, so it isn't a "Porsche shouldn't do SUVs" rant. I just think the Macan has a very limited use case. Either DINKS, Retirees, or 2nd+ car. The only thing is as a second car there are way better options unless you have to have the badge.

Phil, I’ve had a GTS for 3 days also, and found it incredible, compared the the x2 SQ5’s diesels we have had, (which I obviously rate).

It is smaller in side than the SQ5, but the difference in the handling is very noticeable.

I even prefer it to the RS4 (2018 model with same engine) that I sold 12 mths ago.

So if you know you want a Macan and are trying to figure out if it’s a GTS or S, then it’s really about how you option up the S.

If you keep the S relatively std (say s/roof and sport seats) then the S is pretty compelling, but if you option the S with GTS std features (Sports Chrono, 21 inch wheels , air suspension, sports exhaust etc) then the GTS is prob a better way to go.

Thanks everyone for the input.  I won't be carting kids so back seat is not an issue. 18 month wait is interesting as I will be about 6 months longer than I thought for delivery.  I may call in to PCB or PCM and take one (GTS) for a drive and place the order now.  The base GTS seems to have all the options I would need but I may add a couple of extras such as a sunroof if this is not standard and I do like a black and red interior.  I will be replacing our C class Merc which is fully loaded with all options.  There is only my wife and myself.  If Porsche were looking to bring out a PHEV Macan in GTS spec then that would be my preferred car but I don't think this is something they would be doing,. More likely an EV Macan I think.  I was going to sell my Boxster S and buy the new Merc C/E class convertible in AMG spec when it is released and also buy a KIA EV as the around town car but I think now I will keep the Boxster and buy the GTS Macan.  Especially as it already has the wife's tick of approval.  The EV can wait until we have better infrastructure in 5 -7 years.  The Macan will be our everyday car.  Lets's see how the test drive goes.

17 hours ago, sleazius said:

Pros:

1. Makes a decent noise

3. Decent boot

Cons:

I can see your points (besides the handling) and they are valid, particularly if you want something to regularly cart adults around in the back of. 

My 2c worth.

For my situation without kids, but needing one car to be able to tow a trailer when I need it to, cart dogs around and do the day to day, it is just big enough without being too big. It can carry rear passengers for the very rare occasions I need it to. I don't give a crap about off road and I would have no idea how it does for that (and I doubt many/any SUV owners have ever used them for that either ;) ). 

I know it doesn't handle like a GT3, but I am not afraid of driving enthusiastically (as any who have been on a drive with me I am sure could attest). I used to push my 996 to the limit of traction and on the same twisty road, I think I would be near on as fast in the Macan as I would in the 996. The handling on a good twisty road for an SUV is absolutely amazing to me. That said, I live in the sticks and do not do the daily grind in bumper to bumper. It is definitely a firmer ride and much less comfortable than in my old Merc SUV. 

The way I describe the Macan is that it is the perfect boring car to do all of the boring day to day things you need, but if you find yourself on a fun road in the boring car it is still a great day. If you are never going to find yourself in it on a fun road, then definitely buy a Merc or Audi, or whatever else.

Don’t listen to me though as I own 12 cars and all of them tend to do one thing well. I’m in the fortunate position of not having to make compromises so that tempers my opinion on cars like this. I still think though there are any number of wagons that offer more as an all rounder than a small SUV but opinions are like arseholes.

Buy what you like end of the day :Beer:

On 26/06/2022 at 00:32, sleazius said:

Pros:

1. Makes a decent noise

3. Decent boot

Cons:

I'm in the same camp as you, I have never got the concept of needing a firm riding fast SUV.  Give me big comfortable seats and acceleration and handling of a boat.  If I want fast i'll go a two seater sports car.  Probably why I have a 1989 range rover if I need something big and boat like 😃

1 hour ago, Joz said:

All garaged at home?

Garaged? Bold of you to assume that :Chuckle2:

All of them are within 2 mins walk of my house. Unfortunately my other hobby takes up endless space and I let that get out of hand too. Although I’ve got garaging at my house for 10 or so, its currently not possible to store them all in the garages. Also 4 of them are used as daily drivers so they rotate through the carport.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Garaged? Bold of you to assume that :Chuckle2:

All of them are within 2 mins walk of my house. Unfortunately my other hobby takes up endless space and I let that get out of hand too. Although I’ve got garaging at my house for 10 or so, its currently not possible to store them all in the garages. Also 4 of them are used as daily drivers so they rotate through the carport.

I’m almost afraid to ask, but what’s the other hobby? 😁

12mths ago I replaced my 10yr old Q5, 3ltr with the latest Sq5 3ltr, after having looked at the MacanS & GTS. Having 3 other Porsches in the garage the Audi made sense as in std setup the only options are air suspension & fancy tail lights. red seats, glass roof & and all of the Porsche optional fruit are standard.  257kw with the new turbo setup its an incredible drive. They are incredibly difficult to find, I found mine in Brisbane, did the deal over the phone, discount, all onroads, 5 yrs free servicing, dealer paid the air fare to Brisbane, it was a nice drive home. And if you like the auto stop/start a $35 chip defeats it in 20 minutes.

9 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

12mths ago I replaced my 10yr old Q5, 3ltr with the latest Sq5 3ltr, after having looked at the MacanS & GTS. Having 3 other Porsches in the garage the Audi made sense as in std setup the only options are air suspension & fancy tail lights. red seats, glass roof & and all of the Porsche optional fruit are standard.  257kw with the new turbo setup its an incredible drive. They are incredibly difficult to find, I found mine in Brisbane, did the deal over the phone, discount, all onroads, 5 yrs free servicing, dealer paid the air fare to Brisbane, it was a nice drive home. And if you like the auto stop/start a $35 chip defeats it in 20 minutes.

Whilst the thread is about S v GTS,  like you WB, I did look at replacing our 2nd SQ5  with a third, as I’ve been an Audi customer for 20 yrs with over 20 new cars in that time.

however at the current level of pricing  differential, it just didn’t stacK up (for me), 

But that’s just my experience. If the delta between SQ5 and GTS was > $25k I’d have  chosen differently.

Plus whilst the diesel has been great, the torque from 1,500 is unbelievable, we have had our fair share of issues with city driving effecting the DpF and manifold valves.

21 hours ago, SWC3.0 said:

Whilst the thread is about S v GTS,  like you WB, I did look at replacing our 2nd SQ5  with a third, as I’ve been an Audi customer for 20 yrs with over 20 new cars in that time.

however at the current level of pricing  differential, it just didn’t stacK up (for me), 

But that’s just my experience. If the delta between SQ5 and GTS was > $25k I’d have  chosen differently.

Plus whilst the diesel has been great, the torque from 1,500 is unbelievable, we have had our fair share of issues with city driving effecting the DpF and manifold valves.

Re Delta between Sq5 and GTS was > $ 25k +torque in Sq5 from 1500rpm = unbelivable..

Not into new, but was contemplating a used Macan S for the Mrs.  But a  few weeks ago, took $25k x 1.5 and all in garaged a tuned first gen diesel twin turbo 6 cyl sq5 for the Mrs.  With another circa 100 plus Nm  over stock, not too shabby from 1,500rpm indeed  and handy for  light towing.  Unbelievable,  perhaps for some, but would love to have that low down torque available  in my own boosted 996. .

@Lucky Phil

As you don' t need 4 doors, Mrs didnt rate going back to the future but with a bit of an upgrade. Lookup  prodrive 22B rexy. 

Pretty much ready to push to go button.  Took one for a drive last week and really loved it.  Should look like this based on the configurator.  Trouble is 18 month wait as previously mentioned.  Oh well nice Xmas present from me to me in 2023.

iris.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Pretty much ready to push to go button.  Took one for a drive last week and really loved it.  Should look like this based on the configurator.  Trouble is 18 month wait as previously mentioned.  Oh well nice Xmas present from me to me in 2023.

iris.jpeg

You changed your tune  quickly.   Reread your first paragraph on your first post   as a double take as you have gone from we ( with mrs) to me very quickly.  Or just a slip of the finger on your keyboard.