'77 Carrera 3.0 Hot Rod / Outlaw

Bought my car from Mike D'Silva in May 2021 - it was originally delivered in Germany, then imported to the USA and now here in Oz, so well-travelled. Originally silver, the car was re-sprayed India Red (Indischrot) a long time ago and was resprayed in that colour during Mike's ownership. It is not a matching numbers car but does have a genuine Carrera 3.0 engine in it that is not stock and really well built by Mike D'Silva. The engine number is 31 units down the line from the engine originally fitted to the car.

Have been personalising the car since getting it from Mike and thought I'd share some of that here. Will start off from some photos of its earlier life in the US, when it was owned by the President of the Delaware chapter of Porsche Club America and had a fair bit done to it for use as a track car.

IMG_0246.JPG

interior.jpg

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

After some years passed, Mike D'Silva bought the car from the USA and imported into Australia. He improved the car's appearance with a  respray and went for black Fuchs but given that he builds engines, this is where he spent his time, coming up with a really strong, high-compression Carrera 3.0 motor on ITBs that puts out considerably more at the hubs than a standard car has at the flywheel. The car was loaded onto a transporter at Mike's home in Brisbane & brought down to Victoria - at that point it gave me a great base for the personalisation I had in mind - more on that to come soon. Images here are all from Mike D'Silva.

Porsche Carrera--55-Edit-2.jpg

161272638_483657135996682_267540680673858874_n.jpg

Porsche Carrera--270-Edit.jpg

117352674_10157454372562897_6618537945548387364_n.jpg

189467323_10158106220232897_6174996718913388290_n.jpg

Now that the car was mine, it was time to personalise - I get mine serviced and looked after by Mike Jacobson at Spyder Automobiles in Warragul - good operator and a long-time friend. There were a couple of things that I wanted to address right from the start (lack of headroom meant that we'd need to modify or replace the seats for example). As we worked our way through getting the Vic roadworthy and crawled all over the car, there were various things that came up. As most on here have no doubt experienced, there was a fair bit of "while we've got it apart, let's do that" which of course snowballs and grows the job list. One of the early changes was going to slightly wider wheels (7s & 8s) with a nice set of Fuchs reps from Cameron at Classic Wheels. Then a possible problem with getting the Bilstein struts re-bushed for the roadworthy (fixed with the bushes all done after a bit of chasing around) led me to look into KW V3 dampers earlier than originally planned. So went down the route of KW, Elephant bushes and Elephant plates plus ran the car lower (raised ride height when I got it due to the steep driveway in Brisbane). Number of other jobs around the car to get everything tweaked nicely and off we go!

196492009_10158282825329226_4663322730936911657_n.jpg

IMG_3114.jpeg

20210929_135042.jpg

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

12 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I miss that car and the responsiveness of the motor! You've really taken it to the next level Tony :)

Thanks Mike - SUCH a good engine build you did on this one - strong everywhere, responsive and tractable. Gives a really good base for me to play with.

So, we all know how things can grow bigger than the original plan. The car has a fibreglass front air dam & I wanted to make some kind of skid block to protect the bottom of it from driveway scrapes and the like. We then removed the front mounted oil cooler (only half of it was getting airflow anyway) and replaced it with a standard oil cooler in the front wheel well. That meant that the air dam didn't have much "meat" in the middle. This all meant that the air dam could be strengthened by filling in the old oil cooler hole and the skid block idea became a full splitter, going back under the car a little way - combination of both meant a better-protected air dam and (in my opinion at least) a better look. Whilst that was being done, took the opportunity to add in a "Porsche smile" that had to be made as the original part couldn't sit down behind the bumper properly due to supporting bars there for the air dam. Some before and after pics - really happy with how it turned out - the work done by Mike Tankard.

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3343.jpeg

IMG_3347.jpeg

IMG_3344.jpeg

Looking good.

I notice your RHS mirror is for a RHD car and as such would me mounted further down the front guard, levelling it up - you maybe able to find an alternative mirror and use the existing holes or you'll need to get Mike to patch and paint the door and mount a new mirror to straighten it up. 

Thanks Hugh, yeah I definitely want to change the mirrors - RHS one has been over-tightened at some point and bent the door skin a bit so that it sags slightly. Replacing the mirrors is a project to come but spotted a style of mirror that I liked (on a Workshop 5001 car) and bought a set from them. Have them ready for when "mirror time" rocks around - will take some fiddling around to get them mounted up right so expecting it to be a Mike job.

image_50387969.JPG

image_50446081.JPG

Part 2 of the exterior updates was to replace the factory rear bumper with a narrowed "IROC style" bumper, With the factory rear bumper, it felt to me that the front with the air dam and the standard rear weren't quite "balanced" visually - personal taste I know. So Mike Tankard provided and modified and IROC fibreglass rear bumper, did all the work to fit it up, etc and I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. Photos of original bumper, replacement and side view.

IMG_3009.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3916.jpeg

20220806_111644.jpg

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

Sooooo much better mate 👍

Thanks pal - getting there for sure - so good to have the legend Mike Tankard (who I've known for quite some time) to do the work - really happy with how the old girl is going.

1 hour ago, Carrera28 said:

Completely agree with your "balanced" comment and the new rear bumper presents a much better look in that side profile.

Thanks buddy - yeah, it looks much more "right" now to me and glad it does to others as well!

20 minutes ago, Stockydude said:

Thanks pal - getting there for sure - so good to have the legend Mike Tankard (who I've known for quite some time) to do the work - really happy with how the old girl is going.

As most know, I am NO fan of the IB overriders, as it spoils the lines of a 911

So, decided to do something a little different. Removed the radio as part of the interior work (more to come on that) so didn't need the radio aerial any more. On a spur of the moment, used graphics as a bit of a homage to the "gills" on the famous RHD 2.8 RSR still residing in Oz. 

It is the only 1973 2.8 RSR built Right Hand Drive by the factory and the only one to have the gills fitted by the factory - making it truly a one of a kind. It was built for Ray Thackwell - he used it here in Australia to compete in Sports Sedan racing in WA I believe. The car is still here and has passed through a few hands since, even went to the UK for a while. It was seeing (& hearing) that same car being accelerated hard & then backed off with the heavy overrun snarl that got me pretty much hooked on 911s.

The other connection to the blue car is that Ray Thackwell (original owner) was the father of Mike Thackwell, for a long time the youngest person to start a Formula 1 race (it was only Max Verstappen that lowered the age). I knew Mike (not well, but did know him) in the UK - he had driven for the Ralt factory team before I worked there and we’d see him around, he did some F3 races (including Macau) and a bunch of us hung out together - seriously good racer. 

The third connection I feel to that car is that the trimmer who did my interior worked on the RSR back in the day and did quite a bit of trimming work on it  - like me he absolutely loves that car.

So, I feel a very real connection to the blue car and have the “gills” on mine as a connection!

298802048_10159328913957917_6756744133914004286_n.jpeg

20220804_151649.jpeg

20220804_153601.jpeg

279966015_5361098003941875_8717328053453212637_n.jpeg

Rennsport-2016-110.jpeg

So now to the interior. Right from the start, I knew that I'd need to alter the existing seats or replace them (head against the roof on test drive). The original plan to alter them turned into something that was very hard to do, so replacement seats or at least one seat was needed. Weighed up race seats of one kind or another but ended up going with a pair of GTS classics seats from the US. Stefan is a clever guy and the seats fit 911s well, the style I went for suit the age of the car, the seat runners actually sit up into the frame of the seat to maximise headroom too. Stefan from GTS agreed to send the seats in component form so that we could trim them here. I'd decided to go with the family tartan (Shetland ancestry) as part of a full interior makeover - more on that to come. End result was 8cm more head room! Few pics of the seat frames and bits before building them up. One shot shows the difference between new seats and those in the car when I bought it - plus photo showing how close to the bottom of the car the seat base is- measured by hand (literally LOL).

Image.jpeg

Resized_20220331_111102.jpeg

Resized_20220331_111347.jpeg

IMG_3033.jpeg

Resized_20220331_121046.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

As often happens, with the new seats to go in, one thing leads to another..... Decided to completely re-trim the interior, using nappa leather, genuine lightweight carpet, alcantara and of course, the family tartan. Lot of work in this so I'll spread over a few posts. The work was all done by the legendary Dave Hosking at Carrera Trimming (also the original Australian Car Covers). Dave has done some fantastic cars over the years with great results & loves Porsches - including his own 912 which is just a LOVELY thing! We talked at great length & I was keen to have some tartan highlighting through the cabin - liked the dash strip and top door strip approach to match up with the seats. To do this, the dash essentially had to be back-dated and everything re-aligned. We didn't want to go "all new" as I also wanted to retain links to the car itself and its past - kinda feels more real to me that way. Some raw material shots and start of the process shots in this post,

20220405_120819.jpg

20220404_124628.jpg

20220409_161641.jpg

20220409_162613.jpg

20220409_162916.jpg

20220415_093004.jpg

23 minutes ago, Stockydude said:

As often happens, with the new seats to go in, one thing leads to another..... Decided to completely re-trim the interior, using nappa leather, genuine lightweight carpet, alcantara and of course, the family tartan. Lot of work in this so I'll spread over a few posts. The work was all done by the legendary Dave Hosking at Carrera Trimming (also the original Australian Car Covers). Dave has done some fantastic cars over the years with great results & loves Porsches - including his own 912 which is just a LOVELY thing! We talked at great length & I was keen to have some tartan highlighting through the cabin - liked the dash strip and top door strip approach to match up with the seats. To do this, the dash essentially had to be back-dated and everything re-aligned. We didn't want to go "all new" as I also wanted to retain links to the car itself and its past - kinda feels more real to me that way. Some raw material shots and start of the process shots in this post,

20220405_120819.jpg

20220404_124628.jpg

20220409_161641.jpg

20220409_162613.jpg

20220409_162916.jpg

20220415_093004.jpg

Is the tartan a heavy weight wool? Or a Poly visco?

21 hours ago, Adam.B said:

Is the tartan a heavy weight wool? Or a Poly visco?

Hi Adam - used the heavy weight wool. Actually bought the wool AND the synthetic as wasn't sure which would suit needs best. When we looked at everything though, the wool is better and seems to be what others use too.

7 hours ago, Stockydude said:

Hi Adam - used the heavy weight wool. Actually bought the wool AND the synthetic as wasn't sure which would suit needs best. When we looked at everything though, the wool is better and seems to be what others use too.

I have a synthetic in my car and it is definitely not the greatest.  A heavier weight wool would be a much better option.

21 hours ago, Stockydude said:

Awesome this validates my choice in the heavy weight wool for my car.

My tartan patern

images.jpeg.jpg

The work to turn the GTS Classics seat frames into the finished article was all done by Dave Hosking at Carrera Trimming. Different densities of foam used depending on the part of the seat (some from GTS Classics, some provided by Dave). Clan Gunn tartan in the centre, with double row stitching to position and retain shape and continuing over the top of the frame structure for a smoother and more workable look, seat heating elements and adjustable lumbar support also fitted. The sides, rear and headrests all trimmed in hand-sewn nappa leather. Not only am I much lower in the car, better located and more comfortable but they also look fantastic I reckon. Dave also re-trimmed the steering wheel in alcantara by hand, changed the Momo logo and yellow positioning stripe to red and red leather to match the car's exterior - just quality work all round.

20220406_161052_04.jpg

20220425_182853 (2).jpg

20220425_170123.jpg

20220504_132928.jpg

Resized_20220603_161416.jpeg

Resized_20220603_171458.jpeg

Resized_20220620_172651.jpeg

Resized_20220621_112358.jpg

20220718_122053.jpg

Resized_20220718_115326.jpg

20220722_140546.jpg

IMG_3832.jpeg

Next section to show / tell is the dash. Wanted to run a strip of tartan along the face of the dash and add an alcantara pad to the top to dress it up a bit and protect the old darling's original dash top from the ravages of our Sun down under. As always, ended up being a bigger job than planned, as to fit the front strip (used the Rennline front extrusion) we needed to essentially backdate the dash, including fitting the older style ventilation controls, which I obtained from David Jenej. I was really keep to keep the little side vents as to me they are part of what the car is and Dave had a lot of fiddly work to do with the strip to get that all happening. Obtained a bare glovebox lid from Mike Tankard and to finish off the front fascia, everything above the tartan strip was re-trimmed in alcantara as well, including the instrument binnacle - it's subtle but SO bloody nice! Finished it off with a full set of billet knobs / switches from Rennline (still a couple to finish when the photos were taken).

20220405_155748.jpg

20220427_104828.jpg

Resized_20220427_121227.jpg

20220509_132028.jpg

20220512_125327.jpg

20220512_172535.jpg

Resized_20220517_154013.jpg

20220517_175108.jpg

IMG_3710.jpeg

IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3808.jpeg

IMG_3812.jpeg