My first 911 (SC/997.1)

ForrestDrive27

Hello good people

I’m searching for my first 911.. I’m a little torn between an SC and a 997.1 S. Not obvious comparisons - I know. 

Fact is I like both and would be very chuffed with either I think.. 

Looking for the best mechanically sound example I can find/afford. This will be my daily (when the Melbourne weather allows)  

Must have 3 pedals + the more lavish spec the better IMO. 

So If you’re thinking of putting up to sell, shoot me a DM.
I also welcome your 2c worth if you feel so inclined - although I have done my research, so I’m aware of the obvious internet conversations that surround them.

Thanks!

Same same but different. I went from an SC to a 997s. Same dna one classic one modern- if you like back sweat the sc is for you, if you like more performance and tech then the 997 will tick some boxes. First world problem to choose but it is nice to have both as it's about a sense of occasion wether it be daily or not. Not being helpful here am i!

Knowing a couple of guys who daily drove their SC's for a while in freak hour traffic, I'd say you'd get sick of that pretty quickly mate.

I'm partial to air cooled as I own one, yet a 997 would be a no brainer if it was me wanting a 911 as a daily 911 

It depends on the condition of your knees if you ask me. I run an 82 SC and while I love driving it it can be painful on the knees (loads of clutch work) and the shoulders/arms. (no power steering) And then of course you have no/little air cond. I am looking to buy a 996/997 tip. Having said that, will never sell the SC.

911 day.jpg

As a long term ownership proposition, an SC is a great all rounder. It will do it all. 

13 hours ago, Harsh said:

It depends on the condition of your knees if you ask me. I run an 82 SC and while I love driving it it can be painful on the knees (loads of clutch work) and the shoulders/arms. (no power steering) And then of course you have no/little air cond. 

How old are you? You sound like your 100? 

17 hours ago, Harsh said:

It depends on the condition of your knees if you ask me. I run an 82 SC and while I love driving it it can be painful on the knees (loads of clutch work) and the shoulders/arms. (no power steering) And then of course you have no/little air cond. I am looking to buy a 996/997 tip. Having said that, will never sell the SC.

911 day.jpg

I hear you about the knees, hips thing @Harsh , My 996 Tip let's me enjoy the drive again. :)

As you know, the 997 is the objectively better car in every way.... if you don't have to fit it into your daily life, then go with what tugs at your heart strings the most! 

Me personally, would say buy them both, but if pressed to chose one only, I'd still choose the 997... I do like the G body 911's but cannot say they strike a chord with me! 

Apples and oranges. Drive them both and see what you can live with. It's like comparing a 356 to a 996. Really depends what you want. 

I drove a few 3.2's, 996 and 997. I was worried I'd get bored with the 997 quickly. Sometimes I think about selling up for a 996 GT3, but don't think I could actually bring myself to do it. Just something about a classic aircooled 911 that does it for me. 

I had a 996 for a couple of years alongside my bastardised '74 backdate. The 996 was far more comfortable than the early car and easier to drive with similar performance, but I ended up selling the 996 because I would always grab the keys to the old car and the 996 sat unused.

That said, my old car is modified the way I like and and the 996 was near stock, so it is definitely not a stock for stock comparison. 

I dailied my SC for a couple of years before I sold it, perfect daily when u get used to it. I now swap daily duties between my 996 and 66 912 and whilst I love them both I am thinking of swapping them out for a 997 S. I think they are a great all rounder as a single Porsche garage option

You can definately get decent aircon working in an old SC. I've driven a couple up here in Brisbane that were running a traditional AC system (not Electric) and I was surprised how well they worked. 

As for heavy clutch pedals and what not; that will come down to condition of the car. It might need a new clutch assembly and cable and the pedal box rebushing to get it back to normal. It shouldn't be that heavy. 

Guys, thanks for all these responses! Interesting to hear. As suspected - a pretty divided opinion 🤣 Glad it’s not just me. I’m not a rush hour city worker so the traffic / clutch thing isn’t such  an issue for me. 

I would probably say at this stage, whichever car comes to me first (in a spec I like/well sorted example) will win the garage space🤣

The search continues….!