First timer - 964 vs 993 Carrera

abenhamm

I am looking to get into AC 911's and have narrowed the search down to either a 964 or a 993 Manual Carrera Coupe .

Preference at the moment is for a 993 but that is only really based on gut feel around a newer model and I fear that pricing currently might currently be a bit bubbly.

I know my way around mechanically and have been servicing my own cars. I live in Canberra and would like to do as much mechanically as I can to maintain the car whilst avoiding Gulson, my experiences so far with them haven't been great unfortunately.

Does one generation stand out over the other as a better choice for a first-timer?

8 hours ago, abenhamm said:

I am looking to get into AC 911's and have narrowed the search down to either a 964 or a 993 Manual Carrera Coupe .

Preference at the moment is for a 993 but that is only really based on gut feel around a newer model and I fear that pricing currently might currently be a bit bubbly.

I know my way around mechanically and have been servicing my own cars. I live in Canberra and would like to do as much mechanically as I can to maintain the car whilst avoiding Gulson, my experiences so far with them haven't been great unfortunately.

Does one generation stand out over the other as a better choice for a first-timer?

I think the main difference's between  the 964 and 993 are the 993 6 speed box, up some 25 BHP on the 964 , A better functioning and modern suspension and different body shape, The interior gets a touch up but basically same look, Main difference is the hard back seats, But the 964 traditional looks do it for me.

As a first buyer of the badge, if you are not into the differences between the 964 and the 993 as many are on this forum, then I would go 993. It’s newer with less potential problems. There are also many more in the market to choose from so you have a better chance of getting a decent car. There is not a decent 964 on the market at the moment that I would buy but there are some reasonable 993s.

Both are great, very robust cars. Looks are an individual thing, but I think the 993 is the prettiest 911 ever made.  More modern than the 964 in almost every respect.  I have owned my 993 for 18 years without any major issues, and can't see myself parting with it - that may the reason why there is such a scarcity of good examples (especially manual coupes) ..... people just don't want to part with them!!

Good luck with your search - whichever you get, I'm sure you'll love it 👍😍

Thanks for all of your responses, kind of confirms what I should be looking for and at the same time some good points made for the 964 e.g. rarity and a more classic shape. Guess next steps are to keep an eye out for a good example and try to keep the balance in check between my head (993) and my heart (964) 😂

For me it's a 964 every day of the week. The heritage of the shape is still 911, The turbo version still has the big hips synonymous with the turbos of old. The gearboxes in both are fantastic when comparing to the the 3.2 and in particular the 915. While the 993 has been touted as having the better suspension the room in Porsche had to work with and the method and thinking just didn't work out, its a little overly complicated , the arms are way to short and they are also not parallel which would have been the real winner They also run out of adjustment  quickly. They still suffer from camber change, just maybe not as much as the banana arm on the 964. Another benefit is the ease of engine removal of the 964 compared with the 993. Im being overly critical as I would have both in a stable. Oh and the wheels on the 3.6 turbo are just the best thing since sliced bread, they really subdued the 993 turbo with the twists

Regards

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

I love the different views. Luckily there’s no right answer bar what that owner is wanting.  A bit like a huge hp 944 T vs a 997 GT3….which @Buchanan Automotive’s Sean and I both know having driven nose to tail and tail to nose for years! 

‘I’m loving the 993 handling and power balance. It’s quicker than 964 (the 6 speed box) and is a perfect balance of old school air cooled appeal with modern tech such as abs, airbags, aircon etc. it’s still a 5 sec to 100 car so gets along ok .  oh…and those 993 wide body  hips are just super sexy.  

9E47582B-046A-4801-818E-E194A82144A0.thumb.jpeg.215cfa8d56f48ed3934fb7590cb2a2c2.jpeg61EC6A02-9E8C-4443-983E-216A9E04CC39.thumb.jpeg.a8a69dbd93cc80fd6691bdb41f72ec91.jpeg