Chris Harris drives Tuthill Porsche 911k lightweight

Watched it last night. That thing is bonkers!

11,000rpm out of an air cooled?? 😳 

I wonder what the warranty is on that engine 🤔 "I'm sorry sir, but after extensive investigation, it seems you over revved it by 149rpm, so your warranty is void" 

1 hour ago, WGA said:

Nice video but I would have liked some detail on how they got an air-cooled engine to rev that high.

Need to know basis methinks.

Dare I say their association with Singer and Harris, maybe some Williams involvement?  

I reckon there is one-upmanship at play here.  Let's not just have a tacho that reads to 11,000rpm like Singer, lets have an engine that sings to 11!  Stick that in ya pipe Rob and ya hipster mates and smoke it!

I guess being only a 3.1litre, the stroke and reciprocating mass is relatively small and going to 4 valve heads gets rid of those 2 big dumbell heavy valves. 

It is interesting that he stayed with air cooling when designing the twin cam heads.  I suspect there is a lot of oil being circulated for cooling.

I also found it interesting that he didn't go for ITB's but a plenum setup.

Do like seeing an old 911 that isn't comically over tyred for once too.

Top marks for reimaging restomod 911's to something new and interesting.  Top marks for using an early chassis car too.

I reckon he really has turned it up to 11!

5 hours ago, WGA said:

Nice video but I would have liked some detail on how they got an air-cooled engine to rev that high.

Short stroke, lightweight components and a heavy right foot 🤷‍♂️

you have to wonder how long between rebuilds - I m no engine guru but piston speed will be ridiculous at 11,000rpm stressing everything massively every time it stops and goes back the other way.

I was super fortunate to spend half a day at Tuthill July last year. The K was partway through its build getting ready for Monterey launch. The workmanship and attention to detail was next level. The carbon weave was exposed in areas as highlights. The Porsche script down the sides is exposed carbon from the body panels where they stenciled the paint. They also had the first of the SCRS 993 back dates near finished next to it in the shop. The team were so accommodating let me take photos and answered any questions I had.

there were also a number of dls engines on pallets as they were doing the engine pre delivery from LA for the dls manufacturing up the road. Very special place.

41 minutes ago, Tips said:

I was super fortunate to spend half a day at Tuthill July last year. The K was partway through its build getting ready for Monterey launch. The workmanship and attention to detail was next level. The carbon weave was exposed in areas as highlights. The Porsche script down the sides is exposed carbon from the body panels where they stenciled the paint. They also had the first of the SCRS 993 back dates near finished next to it in the shop. The team were so accommodating let me take photos and answered any questions I had.

there were also a number of dls engines on pallets as they were doing the engine pre delivery from LA for the dls manufacturing up the road. Very special place.

Coincidentally, I did the same in August last year, arranged by the friend who’s getting car #2. It was only a couple of days after the gold car had been revealed in Monterey so Richard was still out there. I have some photos of Ed Lovett’s SCRS in the bodyshop being polished up ready for the drivetrain to be installed, along with a couple of others. The paint shop there do an amazing job, finish was Incredible. 4 Singers outside for servicing / snagging rectification works, must admit I wasn’t overly impressed with the quality of those considering the pages of snags each one had…

Tuthills is a very impressive place though, will be even more so now the ‘new’ shed out the back is finished