1978 911 SC Hot Rod For Sale

Final Price Drop to $149,900 

https://richmonds.com.au/portfolio/1978-porsche-911sc-coupe-2/

1978 911 SC Hot Rod For Sale

Originally based on a very solid 1978 911SC I have completed extensive modifications/rebuilds to bring it to the level it is today, my 911SC has now become available for sale.

Repainted in Jet Black in 2020.

Windows out with external body taken back to bare metal, 3 x coats jet black & 2 x coats clear.

IROC style fibreglass front & rear bumpers fitted.

Paint presents deep, black and shiny with very few stone chips and car is absolutely rust free.

Engine fully rebuilt & balanced 2020 with the best of everything at major expense.

Has done approx. 7,000kms. Always serviced regularly with Gulf Classic Oil.

Case split & boat tailed. GT3 oil pump, billet camshafts (custom). JE high comp cylinders & pistons (custom). Pauter competition billet conrods comp. conrod bearings, valve springs etc

Heads ported, polished etc. Weber Carbs fully rebuilt and detailed.

Has been retained at 3.0L with exceptional horsepower, dyno’d 198kw at the rear wheels at run in.

Extremely smooth and drivable at all revs.

With all components sand blasted and either powder, zinc or ceramic coated it is engine art and performance.

915 Gearbox has been fully rebuilt in 2021 with tarmac spec Albins short ratio gears 2nd - 5th, Modena LSD. Gearbox fully dismantled and inspected with new Wevo H/D side plates & bearings & new H/D clutch in 2023.

Full suspension refresh this year with new Koni shock absorbers with custom valving F&R, new hollow torsion bars, new front tie rod ends, new front sway bar bush’s, rear suspension bush’s bearings, heim joints, wheel bearings etc

Boxster Callipers F&R braided lines full pedal box with twin master cylinders and adjustable brake bias on dash it stops as well as it goes.

Fuch’s 7” F, Replica 8” R, currently on Toyo R888’s with approx. 80% tread left. Original Fuch’s 6” F also included.

Bolt in cage, front half removable with race seats, harnesses current cams rally log book, SA Historic Club Rego. (numberplates not included)

Very light competition use with 1 x Challenge, 1 x Trophy (both 130km limited) in Adelaide Rally as rookie and occasional PCSA sprint.

Car wants for nothing apart from maybe race seat retrim.

Easily reverted back to full road use, remove front half cage and maybe replace seats for more comfort if required.

All work and maintenance carried out by RSR Sports Cars in Adelaide.

Have thoroughly enjoyed the car and bringing to this stage but time to move to new owner to enjoy with too many other cars and projects. I know this will be regretful.

Rare opportunity for completed car ready to go for 2023 Adelaide Rally, Track days etc. Would cost in excess of $250k to build. Offering to PFA prior to removing front cage and placing on car sales zoo. 

Asking $165k neg.

Contact Anthony on 0428 930 911

will add interior photos once vacuumed to the PFA vacuum standard policy 🙂 

image.thumb.jpeg.08931b31fa90c0ee399e3003caa919b4.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Interestingly I have my black SC hotrod for sale too, very similar but a bit more street than track (interior wise and electric A/C the main difference). No takers as yet but no quibbles about the price for the car once seen and driven, except either can't raise the cash, can't get permission or it's too raw. I'm not too keen to drop the price to what people can afford because to build such a car is as you have pointed out quite up there.

Also like you I have a 997 Turbo, in all honesty I think I'd rather sell the 997 than the SC now.

Cheers,

Phil

Yeah, combined you have it all, I thought getting the 997 turbo would be the right move to have as one car and it does fit the bill for most times out in a 911 for us, however the SC as it is now is by far the more fun and involving car to drive and in many ways feels sharper. The 997 has actually shown how good the SC is and it's true worth, so I for one am not that keen on discounting it just because someone can't afford it. 

The SC is certainly more engaging, rewarding and entertaining to drive at sane speeds in the twisties and hills.

It’s not reasonably possible to push the 997 turbo to anywhere near its limits at sane speeds on the road.

For a blast in the hills on a Sunday morning the SC gets chosen every time. 

Because you think at the time it would be a good thing to go modern so you do, and it's very nice and has it's advantages, but in the end are always somehow lacking. 

There is the fact that to drive a modern 911 or even 981 Cayman S manual I have had, on the road to get your giggles, you will be getting locked up at the point it all comes together, you need to go to the track for that. I can drive the SC down to the bottle shop and it's an adventure of 100% feedback, mind you it's not your average SC and everything works, no classic car woes. The more modern Turbo is a much more relaxing drive, particularly stuck in traffic and the best looking I think a 911 ever got, strangely I'm happy going slow in it and can listen to my music, totally different car and am very happy with it because of that. I have to way up what I want most at this time in my life and into the future, the 997 Turbo is the car of the future, will be easier to get in and out of later so I thought I'd get a good one now before the majority are knackered, wouldn't get one more modern than 997.1 that's for sure (they still have keys you turn and handbrakes). But, I have found I'm super attached to the SC, I know every nut and bolt on that car and trust it totally.

So why would you get a modern car?, no reason not to really but ask yourself if you like working on/creating something just that bit more special or simply caring for a classic as it comes or having a newer car and hopefully nothing to sort.  The modern stuff is awesome but the level of performance almost pointless, for me I'm drawn time and time again to the build quality and feel of the aircooled cars over the "ease" and tech of the modern cars, but that's my problem. 

For the pure joy of driving on the road in anywhere close to a sane level of responsibility, you just cannot go past something of the likes of a well sorted SC hotrod, will go better than the fabled 911 2.7 RS at a fraction of the cost.

Get one now. 

2 hours ago, Bugs77 said:

Because you think at the time it would be a good thing to go modern so you do, and it's very nice and has it's advantages, but in the end are always somehow lacking. 

There is the fact that to drive a modern 911 or even 981 Cayman S manual I have had, on the road to get your giggles, you will be getting locked up at the point it all comes together, you need to go to the track for that. I can drive the SC down to the bottle shop and it's an adventure of 100% feedback, mind you it's not your average SC and everything works, no classic car woes. The more modern Turbo is a much more relaxing drive, particularly stuck in traffic and the best looking I think a 911 ever got, strangely I'm happy going slow in it and can listen to my music, totally different car and am very happy with it because of that. I have to way up what I want most at this time in my life and into the future, the 997 Turbo is the car of the future, will be easier to get in and out of later so I thought I'd get a good one now before the majority are knackered, wouldn't get one more modern than 997.1 that's for sure (they still have keys you turn and handbrakes). But, I have found I'm super attached to the SC, I know every nut and bolt on that car and trust it totally.

So why would you get a modern car?, no reason not to really but ask yourself if you like working on/creating something just that bit more special or simply caring for a classic as it comes or having a newer car and hopefully nothing to sort.  The modern stuff is awesome but the level of performance almost pointless, for me I'm drawn time and time again to the build quality and feel of the aircooled cars over the "ease" and tech of the modern cars, but that's my problem. 

For the pure joy of driving on the road in anywhere close to a sane level of responsibility, you just cannot go past something of the likes of a well sorted SC hotrod, will go better than the fabled 911 2.7 RS at a fraction of the cost.

Get one now. 

Well said @Bugs77

Everything true here - and as the owner of a g series 911 , former owner of a swb 68 911 and part custodian of a 356 - I agree with everything said here.

but I think the demographic is changing- people coming from more modern Porsches think they want raw, involving and analogue ( god I hate that term) , but they want the gadgets and the blistering performance more.

thats the only way I can explain why wonderful cars like Carrera 2.7s, several 2.4 litre 911s, a few 911s’s, are purchased, experienced, and then onsold a year or 2 later. It’s like the itch of having an earlier car has been scratched.

well that’s my 2 cents worth