Collecting Cars - ***Issue Resolved***

Had a call from the CEO of Asia Pacific and the issue was resolved very quickly. Thanks everyone who gave advice. Leaving the post in place in case anyone runs into further difficulty and can message me for quick answers in the future if they find the post.

Didn't want to make this post, but I don't want anyone else on here to get burnt. I'll amend the post if the issue gets resolved but it has been a couple of weeks now.

So I've fallen foul of their T&Cs through no fault of my own.

I 'won' an auction. A few hours later I get a call from the seller saying he isn't going through with the transaction. Come to find out that CC has a T&C where they can lower a seller's reserve in order to complete an auction, and then after the fact split their commission with the seller in order to make the sale go through. So instead of CC getting the full $12000, if the auction is $5k short, just list the car as sold, and send the seller a cheque for $5k.

In this case CC stuffed up and ended the auction short of the seller's reserve, tried to negotiate with him to lower it, but he has refused.

Where does that leave me?

$12100 paid to collecting cars, and no car. Oh and a bunch of promises that I'll get a refund.

I could say more but its pretty piss poor. Only made this post as I'm going to initiate a charge back against them, and go to fair trading today.

The story obviously is different between both parties, but the seller is adamant he has done nothing wrong, and i've got no reason to not believe him. He had a reserve. Collecting cars put the car on the market before there was anything to split, and they tried to get him to lower his reserve after the auction had finished. He said no.

The only way forward would be to up what I'm willing to spend, which is a hard no as in my eyes I already overpaid due to wanting that specific spec car.

Sh*tshow.

The unacceptable part is Collecting Cars taking over a week to tell me they'll refund me, then taking another week and not refunding it. This isn't $50 - its $12000.

CC might have that option, but you'd think they'd chat with the seller before just taking the reins and dropping the reserve price! 

I'd be sending a very stern "You have 24 hours to refund my money..." unless they have policy on that too where they have a certain time period for refunds 🙄

I'd be pissed! 

I suspect you’ve been swallowed up and forgotten by what is large organisation with many moving parts across the world. Not that that’s a valid excuse for withholding anyone’s $ let alone 12 grand. I’d be sending emails to everyone you can get your hands on and even call the UK office if you haven’t already. Emails are easier to ignore than the old fashioned way in my books.

9 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Is the difference between the seller’s reserve and the CC lowered reserve more than the $12k commission?

Yes, which is why they had to go back to him after the auction ended to try to get him to lower the reserve.

10 hours ago, sleazius said:

Yes, which is why they had to go back to him after the auction ended to try to get him to lower the reserve.

Interesting that they were prepared to burn their entire fee just to get a ‘sale’ result. 

Anyone who was trying to message me I think my financial membership has lapsed, just got the inbox full message.

I'll sort that out this evening when I'm near a laptop.

On 08/03/2024 at 13:56, OBRUT said:

Is the difference between the seller’s reserve and the CC lowered reserve more than the $12k commission?

That was also my question. 

Surely the situation is that if the difference is $12k or less between the reserve and the price you bid, then CC reserves the right to sacrifice some or all of their commission, pass that money on to the seller in order to bring it up to the reserve & get the car off their books.

That's how I read it, so surely the seller is the one being difficult here by refusing to sell you the car, despite him getting his reserve price 🤔

55 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

See above, delta was more than 12k

Sorry, I missed that reply.

In that case it was definitely a bit presumptuous by CC. 

Don't blame Sleazius for being a bit miffed. Hope when he gets the $12k returned it's at least with interest + some sprinkles.

Issue has been resolved - a member here has put me in contact with the Asia Pacific CEO and it was all sorted expeditiously. He was overseas and had no idea what was going on.

Best part is I'm getting the car!

@LeeM I don't know if it would be helpful to change the topic on this to "Collecting Cars - Issue Resolved" or something similar.

35 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Issue has been resolved - a member here has put me in contact with the Asia Pacific CEO and it was all sorted expeditiously. He was overseas and had no idea what was going on.

Best part is I'm getting the car!

@LeeM I don't know if it would be helpful to change the topic on this to "Collecting Cars - Issue Resolved" or something similar.

As the author, you should be able to change the title? 

13 minutes ago, hugh said:

As the author, you should be able to change the title? 

Thanks Hugh - had no idea I could do that.

Edited the first post as well so that anyone who has a similar issue in the future who does a search can contact me. Leaving the post untouched otherwise.

14 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Thanks Hugh - had no idea I could do that.

Edited the first post as well so that anyone who has a similar issue in the future who does a search can contact me. Leaving the post untouched otherwise.

Glad to hear it's all sorted and you've been able to get a deal done. Any clues as to what you purchased?