How did you collect your Porsche?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats Muddy. Beautiful looking car and love the colour. Just awesome. Enjoy.

The colour is Midnight Blue, the previous owner has ordered a 991 in the same colour but its not available for the 991 and will be a factory special $12,000.

Thanks all and I will see you on a Sunday morning.

I drove melbs to Brissy via the coast road because of the Skippy problem. The year before I drove an M3 home from Adelaide to Brisbane and it was Skippy city !!! Literally hundreds of dead Roos along the way with some close calls encountered with some living ones !!

• 2 months later...

After having a photo of this car on my fridge since April last year, my wife told me to stop frigging around and just buy it. (This was well timed as the PO's wife told him to stop frigging around, drop the price and sell!) So we did on Friday and drove it back from Melbourne via a weekend in Canberra. Was hoping for more photo opportunities to mark the entire trip but 40 plus degree days didn't encourage too many stops! Anyway:

photo2_zpsff6d276f.jpg

Canberra sightseeing

photo7_zps83178c2b.jpg

Old Parliament House. Last time I was here I had long hair and was protesting on the front steps!

RIMG0006_zpscc511546.jpg

There is no way I can get her to drive the '85. (Yeah, this reminded me of that Seinfeld episode about the Christmas card too!)

RIMG0008_zps96ba0d92.jpg

At home at the Hall village markets before the run to Sydney.

The car is a '94 MY tiptronic that is sound but needs some TLC.

Some of you will have read of our trials and tribulations of our delivery trip, but here goes anyhow.  We flew up from Tassie on the Saturday before Christmas to Sydney to pickup Dianne's 2005 Seal Grey manual 987 from Autohaus Hamilton.  A trip in from the airport via the train, and over to Manly on the ferry where Scott picked us up for the short trip to Dee Why.  This was Dianne's first view of the car as she had only seen the photos I took when I went up for an inspection.  She absolutely loved the combination of the Seal Grey and the Terracotta full leather interior.

Yes, we had a full tank of fuel provided by Scott - thanks heaps, and we drove off by early afternoon to visit our friends at their Avalon Beach house, before driving over to Turramurra for the night with relatives.  Thankfully it was an easy navigate from there onto the freeway Sunday morning to commence our drive to Melbourne.  Our first thoughts were to stay on the Hume until near Canberra and then divert down the coast with a possibility of reaching Lakes Entrance for the night before continuing to visit more friends in Druin and then getting to Melbourne for the night to drop Dianne off to the plane Tuesday morning, and then on to the boat for me for a very boring day trip.

We were making excellent time just cruising easily at the limit, the 987 running very smoothly not missing a beat.  We trundled into a service station just north of Albury with the car running on vapour most likely.  At about that time we decided to change our plans and try to get to Druin that night so we would have a bit of time to spend with our friends.  The service station we filled up at was having some roadworks done, which was, I think, the cause of the problem that was about to strike us.

About 40kms south of Woodonga Dianne was driving and said that the car was feeling a bit funny, and there was a strange noise.  I thought it might have been a change in road surface, but it then became obvious we had a flat.  We pulled up at the edge of the road, and sure enough, the left rear was flat as a tack.  Now of course the 987 was the model P decided that saving weight was more important than having a spare tyre, so they only supply a can of Finilec and a pump.  Great if you find a flat tyre in your garage in the morning but not much good when you've destroyed the inside tyrewall!!

So, a call to the RACT and then RACV resulted in a flat tray towtruck turning up an hour later, and we were on our way to Wangaratta.  Well, there's not much doing in Wangaratta on a Sunday afternoon, so the car was left outside the Beaurepairs and we checked into the motel across the road.  Scott had indicated that the rears had probably another 8-9000 kms on them, but we hadn't planned on replacing them so soon!  

Monday morning we wandered over to have a chat with John the manager at Beaurepairs, and he said that the local tyre places in the area worked together and he would see what he could source for us.  The car had 2 new Contis on the front, so we decided we'd replace the rears with the same.  John rang back to say no luck locally, but he could get them by mid-morning Tuesday.  This was no good to us as we had the plane and ferry commitments the next morning (Christmas Eve), so we asked if we could hire a car and drive down to Melbourne to collect the tyres.  No problem he said, and he would stay behind 'til we got back to fit them for us so we could continue on to Melbourne Monday night.  Just as an aside, be careful if hiring from a country location, apparently country hires have an daily km limit, so the trip to Melbourne cost an extra $125 in Km charge!!

Of course the tyre distribution centre was at Clayton, nothing so easy as being near the airport or the northern suburbs, so tight arse here decided we'd avoid the tollways.  Big mistake, as midday, day before Xmas eve driving through Camberwell was not fun....

Anyhow, tyres picked up, and back via the tollways this time, we got to Wangaratta by about 6.30.  John was there waiting for us, and we were back on the road to Melbourne again by about 7.15.  We had booked a hotel near the airport, and following the GPS via some funny country roads towards the end, we rolled into the hotel about 10.00.

Early start to drop Dianne off to the airport, and then on to the boat for the very boring day trip to Devonport.  Apart from the tyre, not a beat was missed, and we both enjoyed the couple of hours at a time driving stints.  Roof up as it was too hot otherwise for the first part of the trip, and then it rained for the last bit!!

Seemed to take forever to get off the boat, but then a very enjoyable trip back to Launceston from Devonport via some back roads (with the roof down) saw me rolling into our garage in Riverside by about 8.30pm.  car now Tassie registered as DI'S987 (apostrophe courtesy of some sticky back sailcloth!!) and getting comments everywhere.

Our first P car, I've wanted one ever since I was in my early 20's. finally got one 30 years late!!.  I used to buy the Porsche calendar every year (not sure if they still do them) and I reckon I could have 1/2 paid for a car with what I spent on calendars and Sydney Maritime Museum raffle tickets for a 911!!  I've got an old "Thoroughbreds from Zuffenhausen" poster (356 to 944 GTR) on which I've affixed the medallions that came with the posters, and that is one of my earliest P car affections.  

cheers

Peter & Dianne

After having a photo of this car on my fridge since April last year, my wife told me to stop frigging around and just buy it. (This was well timed as the PO's wife told him to stop frigging around, drop the price and sell!) So we did on Friday and drove it back from Melbourne via a weekend in Canberra. Was hoping for more photo opportunities to mark the entire trip but 40 plus degree days didn't encourage too many stops! Anyway:

photo2_zpsff6d276f.jpg

Canberra sightseeing

photo7_zps83178c2b.jpg

Old Parliament House. Last time I was here I had long hair and was protesting on the front steps!

RIMG0006_zpscc511546.jpg

There is no way I can get her to drive the '85. (Yeah, this reminded me of that Seinfeld episode about the Christmas card too!)

RIMG0008_zps96ba0d92.jpg

At home at the Hall village markets before the run to Sydney.

The car is a '94 MY tiptronic that is sound but needs some TLC.

Congrats Peter.. was this the one from ex fleet?

Yes, it has been test driven and PPI'ed by many but the price was to high for what it is and the PO wasn't serious about selling to the point he just seemed to sabotage the whole process. In fact he was still wishy washy on the whole thing as recent as last week even after I agreed to his (much lowered) price.

It was actually your comments (and concerns) - Tony and Amanda - last year that sparked my interest. I also found that mechanics were quite happy to talk about what they found in the PPI's they performed at other's expense, particularly one who was flown down in December from Sydney for the day with his tools to specifically assess it.

So all good, got the Blue Slip done today (and the number plates ordered!) so plan to start knocking over those little jobs straight away that are just crying for attention. Also can't wait to have the paint corrected as it should go from just nice to stunning in a day!

Archived