How did you collect your Porsche?

Yes, it has been test driven and PPI'ed by many but the price was to high from what it is and the PO wasn't serious about selling to the point he just seemed to sabotage the whole process. In fact he was still wishy washy on the whole thing as recent as last week even after I agreed to his (much lowered) price.It was actually your comments (and concerns) - Tony and Amanda - last year that sparked my interest. I also found that mechanics were quite happy to talk about what they found in the PPI's they performed at other's expense, particularly one who was flown down in December from Sydney for the day with his tools to specifically assess it.So all good, got the Blue Slip done today (and the number plates ordered!) so plan to start knocking over those little jobs straight away that are just crying for attention. Also can't wait to have the paint corrected as it should go from just nice to stunning in a day!

When I drove it I got put thinking 'I could drive this forever' it's a lovely car. But not at $60K. They wouldn't budge on price then.

Pleased to hear it's found a great home and I'm thrilled your wife will enjoy it too Peter. I think that's great.

What sort of things does it need out of curiosity?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sort of things does it need out of curiosity?

Amanda,

Nothing major but what I'm planning over the next month or two:

Clean, clean and clean! Presentation wasn't a strong point

Correctly refit the front bumper. It was removed to be repainted for stone chips but not reinstalled perfectly.

Replace all fluids and filters

Paint correction

Detail interior - I reckon I need some lessons from Ben3.oc after his place getting efforts on Saturday!

Refit original stereo (supplied)

Replace non original cigarette lighter

Replace spoiler blind

Replace door seals (supplied)

Replace non original screw in LHS door console - Yes, I'm picky!

Replace missing blanking plug in dash

Lubricate the fan in the climate control unit

Check the AC line pressures

So not big money in the scheme of things, just my time!

Thanks again for your help in my 993 journey!

Cheers

Peter

Im going to add to this thread even though Ive owned my car for 2 years already.

With the arrival of my car in Australia yesterday I feel like Im taking delivery of her all over again!

Many thanks to the guys at Road and Track Imports in Sydney for arranging a smooth import and a very advantageous customs valuation.

Also, with the help of David Jackson at Porsche Centre South Sydney the insurance has been sorted via Porsche Financial Services for a very reasonable premuim (albeit on a limited usage policy). Ironic that Porsche Australia does not differentiate the value of a private import from an Australian Delivered car. Treated and insured for exactly the same value.

Really excited to be coming down to Sydney in a fortnight to collect her and drive her in her new "habitat" of Sydney. Keen to meet other PFAs soon.

Happy days.

Ironic that Porsche Australia does not differentiate the value of a private import from an Australian Delivered car. Treated and insured for exactly the same value.

That's interesting. So it's just the consumer that drives the prices down on imports. Is it mainly because we can't be 100% certain of the environmental conditions of which the car is coming from? e.g salted roads

Hounddub,

Let us know when your in town, happy to meet up... Are you still in SIngapore?

I also have pleasant experience with PCSS on various accounts.

Edgy, im in Sydney to collect the car on the 25/2 but going back on the 28th. If youve got a chance to meet up for a brew or a fizzy in the Mosman area while Im down let me know.

Will be moving back with the family in September.

Edgy, im in Sydney to collect the car on the 25/2 but going back on the 28th. If youve got a chance to meet up for a brew or a fizzy in the Mosman area while Im down let me know.

Will be moving back with the family in September.

Sounds good, shoot me a PM.. We can knock off a few frosty ones at the oaks in neutral bay or something... OR Mosman isn't far for me after hours (I'm south of bridge)

Cheers

After having a photo of this car on my fridge since April last year, my wife told me to stop frigging around and just buy it. (This was well timed as the PO's wife told him to stop frigging around, drop the price and sell!) So we did on Friday and drove it back from Melbourne via a weekend in Canberra. Was hoping for more photo opportunities to mark the entire trip but 40 plus degree days didn't encourage too many stops! Anyway:

photo2_zpsff6d276f.jpg

Canberra sightseeing

photo7_zps83178c2b.jpg

Old Parliament House. Last time I was here I had long hair and was protesting on the front steps!

RIMG0006_zpscc511546.jpg

There is no way I can get her to drive the '85. (Yeah, this reminded me of that Seinfeld episode about the Christmas card too!)

RIMG0008_zps96ba0d92.jpg

At home at the Hall village markets before the run to Sydney.

The car is a '94 MY tiptronic that is sound but needs some TLC.

Looks nice, but the speedo needs to be recalibrated....??? Hope the TLC turns out well

PCSS would value any import for insurance exactly the same as an Australian car. The replacement, in case of total loss, would actually be an Australian car. They wouldn't go back to Singapore and try to buy one cheaper there to ship over as you did privately.

PCSS would value any import for insurance exactly the same as an Australian car. The replacement, in case of total loss, would actually be an Australian car. They wouldn't go back to Singapore and try to buy one cheaper there to ship over as you did privately.

Wouldn't they just pay out a sum of cash at either agreed or market value (dependant on the policy)?  It's a used car, I didn't think they went shopping for you.  Unless you are talking about a new for almost new replacement on a brand new bought Porsche.

Sorry, don't mean to publicly criticise.. just not sure I understand.

Wouldn't they just pay out a sum of cash at either agreed or market value (dependant on the policy)?  It's a used car, I didn't think they went shopping for you.  Unless you are talking about a new for almost new replacement on a brand new bought Porsche.

Sorry, don't mean to publicly criticise.. just not sure I understand.

That is what he is trying to say, they obtain the value by the local market. You get paid the $$$ and you go buy the replacement. 

This is a continuation of the Intro story.

Friday Feb 7 At 4:50 out of bed and 5:30 buss, 5:50 train 0700 flight Sydney to Melbourne arrived 0830.

I spent an hour doing an errand for my wife by attempting to return a hand bag to a merchant at the Queen Vic markets only to find shop wasn’t stand wasn’t open probably due to the heat expected!!!

Another hour on the train to Hallam station, and short walk I finally arrived at the Cairns Classic Modern Porsche Services workshop at 12…..

I was greeted by Shaun who always seems to have a happy disposition, and introduced to Kevin… the British Bulldog whom, wasn’t that fussed on the heat and being locked up inside.

Shaun explained the service on the car was complete but away having the Air Con serviced.

I love wandering around workshops and the CCMP shop is a real treat with a magical array of Porsches from a nearly 356 nearing completion of its restoration to 991s.   

In particular was a stunning Mexico blue 911 S/T recreation being built buy Shaun’s dad and if you want it bad luck, its sold. I love detail and this car was just magic.

My car arrived from the Air con service and was promptly washed. We packed up the car and placed the Vic Roads permit on the front screen as directed.

I left the work shop with the direction to go and take it for a test drive and enjoy the car, the cops wont bother you, Brave words. From the a NSW perspective the Vic police are not at all tolerant.  A moron red 993 with no plates I felt I was pushing my luck.

However I got purposely lost much to the dismay of Gladys the GPS voice constantly saying “Recalculating” I relented and obeyed and finally arrived 30ks latter, at the Toyota Skunk Works no Signs no nothing to indicate what it is, to meet my travelling companion for the journey home.

With the car tucked up in the secure lockup of the Serviced apartments Glen Waverly we had a  a well deserved been and Steak at the RSL.

7 15 the next morning we left and headed to Port Melbourne to drop of a car Mike had been lent and 8 we started the journey home in earnest. Interesting Mike had been given a tip to go home via the Airport, not the ring road. With Gladys complaining the whole way I am so pleased I don’t have a John Cleese voice in the GPS I can only imagine the comments!!!  

It was a good tip and the next stop was Glenrowan for coffee. After finally leaving the state of a thousand speed cameras our next stop was Gundagai for fuel and a Burger at the Dog on the tucker box Café.  Arriving the temp was 38C and I am pleased to report the 993 air con coped with the heat.

It did take a while to cool down again. Mike drove the next stint and we changed again as I headed thought the back roads around Appin to join the F6 into Sydney and Yowie Bay to drop Mike off. Time 5:50 Pm. I arrived home at 6 30.

Statistics 1.5 tanks of fuel 9.9L/100 indicted passed 9 Police cars and didn’t get stopped once. A boring drive, I as I needed  to be well behaved. Magic car and looking foward to my next trip.

Graeme

Great pick up story Graeme!  One thing missing tho, a photo of your 993.  Congrats on a lovely acquisition.. the start of many happy stories I'm sure.

I love this thread (I created it I know.. but even if I didn't, I'd still think it was awesome)  :)

Well done Graeme, that is a good story.

You have also made me to make a mental note to go and visit CAIRNS CLASSIC PORSCHE.   Heard a lot of good things about them.

See even though we are a "land of a thousand speed cameras" (I love that saying) our Gendarmes are very fair and obviously picked you and your mate to be persons of distinction in that car....and rightly so too. :P

Enjoy that red rocket and hopefully get involved up there with the Northern Alliance chapter.

And to Amanda....I agree you have kicked off a very interesting and enjoyable thread. :D

Its actualy Arena red but depending on the light looks anything from Brown to Crimzon, My Avatar is a picture of the script and a colour in filtered light.

Some Pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116900065@N07/

Looks very nice Graham, welcome to the 993 C2S club. I think there are now two of us on PFA :)

Cheers

Chris

Archived