Any Porsche watch guys/gals

Are there any watchguys/gals out there that can tell me what watches are most associated with Porsches.

Or you can just tell my what your favourite watch is.

Not necessarily watches by Porsche design.

I found this classic pic of Steve McQueen wearing a Heuer Monaco.

79af2625.jpg

TagMonacoonPorsche02.jpg

The Rolex Cosmograph Daytona brochure cover...

1984-Rolex-Daytona-Brochure-Cover.jpg

Magnus and his Speedy...

magnus-walker-omega-porsche.jpg

Not Porsche related, but I've got a disturbing habit of impulse buying watches. Including cheap $50 ones that just look good.

I have about 20 watches I think. 

I just bought my 3rd Fossil (my other 2 were gifts) as theyre well made,look good and keep time well. I'm probably going to buy a Tommy Hilfiger I've wanted for a few months, though I am seeking help for my addiction!

A TAG would be nice, but I have too much to spend on the 912 before I can get one of them

Have a Tag Carrera (dont think its linked to the Carrera we all know) great looking watch - unfortunately its been to Sydney (for repairs) more times than I have.

Not Porsche related, but I've got a disturbing habit of impulse buying watches. Including cheap $50 ones that just look good.

I just bought my 3rd Fossil (my other 2 were gifts) as theyre well made,look good and keep time well. I'm probably going to buy a Tommy Hilfiger I've wanted for a few months, though I am seeking help for my addiction!

A TAG would be nice, but I have too much to spend on the 912 before I can get one of them

Hah, certainly sounds like an addiction.

Any particular favourite for Porsche car driving?

Have a Tag Carrera (dont think its linked to the Carrera we all know) great looking watch - unfortunately its been to Sydney (for repairs) more times than I have.

Unfortunately yours is not the only story I have heard about the Tags. I heard about one guy where the repair costs are now in excess of the initial cost of the watch :(

Heuer had a pedigree with their dashboard timers. Old skool cool.

1969Porsche.jpg

cover.jpg

Same disease Lee, have 20 something, some never worn. Even have a couple of old ORIENTs which I brought back from Vietnam in 1971, they are wrist activated, and waterproof. And still go. Currently getting an old late 70's SEIKO sports chrono I wore in my VICPOL SOG

days reconditioned, new face new band and fix anything else needed.

hopefully picking it up this week. Those 3 have great sentimental value. Destined for the Grandson.

The current one I wear most is a CASIO EDIFACE, RED BULL Chrono.

Love it. If anyone needs a good watch maker/technician I have a fantastic contact in Dandenong, he is slow but does not charge like a wounded bull and is a perfectionist.

Love my watches.. Omega sea master is my daily beater.. Cartier santos for those special occasions and a Panerai that I love to wear but never seem too.. Monaco heur is pretty special but I just don't like the way it sits on my wrist...

For some reson I am really hard on watches, had a TAG but it spent more time in the "shop" than on my wrist. Heaps of seiko's the japanese one's, not the made in china ones.

However now I wear these, they are TOUGH as they are made by the swiss army knife folks. 

http://www.wenger.com.au/watches-c-1.asp

I have about 6 or 8 and are all great. by the way no affiliation I just like em.

@ Niko:  You've always got great stories Niko.  The  CASIO EDIFACE, RED BULL Chrono with its tachymetre is very motorsport.  I might take you up on your Dandenong contact for my Seiko Divers that I bought in the 80s when I did a lot of surfing.

@Bad930: Great collection.  The Santos is a classic.  A 60's/70's Heuer Monaco would be very cool to own.

@CarreraG50: Wenger I'll check them out.  Thx

My daily wearing watch:

Chopard Mille Miglia Chrono GTXL

81YTD46dCpL._SL1500_.jpg

One of my favourites for special occasions ie when I dont have my hands in racks and servers:

IWC Big Ingeniur

iwc-big-ingenieur-chronograph-watch-iw37

One that I really like to add to the collection (wife said only if I add the car for her):

AMVOX 7

amvox7a.jpg

Watches? Hell yes, love them. I'd prefer a watch over any other from of jewellery! I don't wear womens watches either - boring! I like automatic or manual wind movements. Watches with a history or some iconic type status. Like my cars I suppose!!

These are all pieces I've owned or own now.

Panerai and Rolex are my fave brands... never owned a Tag or Heuer, no owned any Porsche or motor racing themed watches.

6289997909_419cb60b1a_b.jpg
P1000248 by mmanda withers, on Flickrh

For those who may not know the origins, TAG Heuer was formed in 1985 when TAG, manufacturers of high-tech items such as ceramic turbochargers for Formula One cars, acquired Heuer.

You may recall that TAG engines were supplied to the Saudi Williams team of the late 1970's-80s. These engines were a JV with TAG and Porsche.

@ Niko:  You've always got great stories Niko.  The  CASIO EDIFACE, RED BULL Chrono with its tachymetre is very motorsport.  I might take you up on your Dandenong contact for my Seiko Divers

No problem Doug, he is really really good, slow.....but good he is Seiko trained and just a pleasure to deal with.

Happy to be the middle man or put you onto him direct. I have no affiliation with this guy, apart from being a very happy customer.

Oh and CarreraG50, thanks for that website, just what I didn't need. Damn i do like them watches.

Thanks Hounddub, makes sense now as I remember TAG from those days.

I have my eye on Porsche Design 918 watch but may be a while before that happens.

What I would really like is the CURTA in the bottom Heuer pic above. Amazing mechanical calculator that is a true wonder of engineering/design. I have been fascinated with them since I read about them in a William Gibson novel. V cool

Love my watches.. Omega sea master is my daily beater.. Cartier santos for those special occasions and a Panerai that I love to wear but never seem too.. Monaco heur is pretty special but I just don't like the way it sits on my wrist...

What Panerai do you have?

The Monaco sits very flat on the wrist, whilst I like how the look, they don't suit me.

Chris at The Watch Gallery in Melbourne has quite a few used Monacos if anyone is interested

http://www.thewatchgallery.com.au/shop/tag-heuer-ref-cw2111-black-dial-monaco-on-croc-in-mint-condition/

And to Dougs original question IWC released many Porsche Design watches back in the 80s -90s (I think)

http://www.chrono24.com/au/iwc/porsche-design--mod77.htm

History of PD watches http://www.iwcforum.com/Porsche.htm

Wow. That's some really nice watches.

I have to admit I'm not really into Porsche Design. A lot of people associate Porsche Design with Porsche cars and for me personally it would feel like a step too far to wear PD watch.

Looks like you are our resident watch expert Amanda.

So far it looks like a 70s Heuer Monaco a la Steve McQueen.

I believe Eterna made the PD watches from 1999 onwards but not sure who makes them now as Eterna was sold by PD.

If anyone is into watches and wants to salivate over a nice large collection Tourneau in the Forum Shops Las Vegas. If you cannot find a watch you like in that place I will be amazed.

Wow. That's some really nice watches.

I have to admit I'm not really into Porsche Design. A lot of people associate Porsche Design with Porsche cars and for me personally it would feel like a step too far to wear PD watch.

Looks like you are our resident watch expert Amanda.

So far it looks like a 70s Heuer Monaco a la Steve McQueen.

Interestingly, if you read the IWC link above you will see that Ferdinand Porsche stated that the watches have nothing to do with the cars!

I'm not a fan of PD watches either, Wasser has probably the only model I like. If you want a watch with some car/racing type pedigree Monaco, vintage Heuer Chronographs and of course the Rolex Daytona ($13,000 newish now maybe $11k usedish) Tag Heuer Carrera models, Omega Speedmaster variants and IWC Ingeniur are probably the most popular luxury timepieces that come to mind. Then of course you have your weird brands that got into bed together like Panerai with the Ferrari watches. Slow sellers.

Another great brand is Tudor. A cheap alternative to the Daytona is Tudor Chronograph or the Heritage Chronograph.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_04kZGR_ltmE/S6PqfDY-DAI/AAAAAAAAGn0/y8nviev-zAs/s1600-h/Tudor-Heritage-Chrono-Monte-Carlo-Home-Plate-42mm-close.jpg[\IMG]

I believe Eterna made the PD watches from 1999 onwards but not sure who makes them now as Eterna was sold by PD.

If anyone is into watches and wants to salivate over a nice large collection Tourneau in the Forum Shops Las Vegas. If you cannot find a watch you like in that place I will be amazed.

Yes I had fun in there!

Yes I had fun in there!

I browsed in there and ended up buying two pieces from two watch shops in the Venetian. They negotiated more to my liking. Ended up buying an Omega Seamaster Aquatera for a mate while I was at it as well.

None of my watches are in the same league but I l;ove them anyway

This is the most recent

It's a Storm Curcuit MK II Ltd edition

StormCircuitGreenSpecialEditioncloseup.j

I also have the original in slate

circuit-watch.jpg

One of my Favs

Tokyo Flash Negative

Tokyoflash_negative_2.jpg

and if I could have any watch it would be this one

Urwerk UR-202 AlTiN

urwerk-ur-202-altin-watch.jpg