Any Porsche watch guys/gals

This Tag Heuer Monaco Vintage Gulf looks cool.

For sale here at $5,500 (no affiliation)

http://www.watchgallery.com.au/Watches/Tag-Heuer-Monaco-Vintage-Gulf-Limited-Edition-Chronograph-Ref--CW2118.aspx

Make :
Tag Heuer
Style :
Sport Chronograph
Shape :
Square
Ref# :
CW2118
Stock Code :
C286
Circa :
Metal :
Stainless Steel
Movement :
Automatic Calibre 17
Dial :
White with Gulf Oil Red/Blue stripes featured
Hands :
Steel
Strap Attachment :
Genuine Tag Heuer Crocodile on Deployant Clasp
Guarantee :
12mth AWG
Case Dimensions :
38mm
Grading :
Additional Info :
There were 4000 of these Limited Edition Monacos released world-wide and they have developed a cult following in recent years particularly amongst Monaco enthusiasts.

temp_zps8ec8fd3b.jpg

Nice find Amanda. Going by that, it looks like mine has increased in value significantly since I got it.

Here's it's much older brother, and one of my favorites at the moment. Early 1970's 1163MH Autavia "hot rod", fitted with incorrect but much more valuable Monaco hands:

1163MH_01_zps2cf690f1.jpg

Are there any watchguys/gals out there that can tell me what watches are most associated with Porsches.

I found this classic pic of Steve McQueen wearing a Heuer Monaco.

79af2625.jpg

I don't profess to be the expert but in answer to the original post:

(1) Steve McQueen (aka Le Mans porsche 917 driver Michael Delaney) is inextricably linked with the heuer monaco watch. At the time Hauer was sponsoring f1 driver jo siffet who was selling watches to othe f1 drivers to make a few bucks, and heuer had also built a new lap timing system for Ferrari but the old man didn't want to pay so gave them the sponsorship on the f1 car. Jack Heuer struck the deal to do a very early version of product placement with Steve McQueen for the lemans movie, the price was 3 watches. Heuer went back to his office in Switzerland and picked out the worst selling watch he just couldn't sell - three blue monacos and gave them to McQueen as payment. Little did they know McQueen would make them an icon. I understand it is only recently that heuer negotiated the rights from mcqueens son chad to the photo images.

(2) the Heuer Carrera series of watches is named after the Carrera Pan Americana road race in Mexico which porsche made its name in in the 1953-56 period. There is a strong porsche connection here.

(3) as pointed out previously in the post Tag was a technology group and wanted to put its name on the map when they merged with heuer watch company so they went from just being a small time car sponsor and funded porsche to build the 1.5 litre 1200hp turbo engines for Mclaren in othe early 1980s. The engines were never called porsche engines publically. I think the tag guy still owns part of Mclaren f1.

As for me, like my Porsches, I like my watches retro so I waited and waited until jack hauer turned 80 and retired. Tag let him design his own watch. It is a 1960s Carrera replica and is only branded heuer, not a tag hauer emblem in sight. A great watch.

Nice find Amanda. Going by that, it looks like mine has increased in value significantly since I got it.

Here's it's much older brother, and one of my favorites at the moment. Early 1970's 1163MH Autavia "hot rod", fitted with incorrect but much more valuable Monaco hands:

1163MH_01_zps2cf690f1.jpg

I hope you have the original hands still, because with Vintage watches - originality is everything.

But in saying that, that is a stunner indeed!

I hope you have the original hands still, because with Vintage watches - originality is everything.

No, but I am on the lookout. They do come up occasionally. On the flip side, I did pick it up at a more than fair price.

Cool Alex :)  its lovely!

I just found this one - Autodromo Prototipo.  Retails for about $625USDish. Autodromo are a car enthusiast/racing brand and apparently they first started off making 60s inspired racing watches.

Black_red1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1380221612

Check out Hodinkees review here

Autodromos website - http://www.autodromo.com/

They look pretty cool and a nice homage at a reasonable cost to the Heuer vintage Autavias.  It would be a pretty big fluke to bump into someone else wearing one of these watches I'd think!  They have a mecaquartz movement in them and a bolt on mechanical chrongraph module - so that might not be for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Performance Diver

The diver can rely on a wellprotected automatic movement. The movement is housed inside a container that is secured within a bridge. For better safety, e.g. protects against resetting the watch by accident. The specially developed sealing system means the Diver remains waterproof to up to 1,000 meters. 

Material: Titanium bridge, container stainl.steel with titanium back, black PVD coated

10156055_679271208796388_387453015773387

1509732_679272668796242_4786961807546242

4046901623593_01_default_p6780-performan

• 2 weeks later...

Wanna give your watch a facelift?  I've been wearing a canvas nato from this NYC company called Suigeneric. I just love this nato!  Only complaint I do have is that its a bit too thick to fit between the case and springbars of my Rolex 14060M Submariner. BUT they are working on a thinner version that hopefully does fit.  So I've been wearing mine on my Seiko Diver and Tudor Jumbo Date-Day...

Suigeneric is the name of the company. 

You guys might like the more subtle stripes

stripenavy-4_large.jpg?v=1373278254

Or maybe a camo print

camo-sand-one1_large.jpg?v=1372432858

Black/Grey stripes?

Stripe_Blk_Front_large.jpg?v=1397680167

Or get funky! 

bota_red_front2_large.jpg?v=1397681818

Not affiliated with them at all  - just a happy customer.

Paisley red?

paisley_red_front_2_large.jpg?v=13976786

Whoa Alex!  I've never seen one of those straps before and I have owned many Panerais.  So I've seen a lot of straps.  It's a bit like Elephant and Seal leather - I can't come at wearing it. Then again I'm funny about Python and Lizard straps too.  I'll wear alligator and crocodile but I don't like to buy brand new straps, only used ones - I don't feel as responsible for the death of an animal that way!  

This probably makes little sense now that I'm reading back over it.

At least with my Canvas ones above.. its a man made material. 

Ok here's another retro inspired piece, this time by Hamilton.  It was just released at Basel Watch Fair this month. Retails for about the $1100USD range and features an Automatic movement by Hamilton with a whopping 80 hour power reserve.

H_1.jpg?format=750w