Any Porsche watch guys/gals

Amanda, thanks for the link, awesome watch but I really like chrono's! Heres one of mine that gets a lot of wrist time, I like that its kind of retro and automotive. You also might recognise the strap! I've also got a leather rally strap for it. Its a Hamilton Pan Europ and I believe its a modern recreation of the first mechanical chrono developed by Hamilton & Heuer ( I could be wrong!)

post-1680-0-72457200-1407365721_thumb.jp

Only problem with it is it won't keep time :)

Now are you saying that through experience or just a generalisation on the Tag brand? I say that because I havent had a Tag before and the wife picked up a Formula 1 Tag that just doesnt want to keep time and its pi$$ing her off. The stupid things runs fast to the tune of 10-15 minutes every 4 days...............

On this experience I dont think I would be buying another Tag even though some of their watches look great.

10 min is too much, take it back if under warranty, else get it serviced. Watches should be serviced every 5 years. Should a around 4 to 10 seconds a day max.

This is a brand new watch bought it for her birthday in April.

Now are you saying that through experience or just a generalisation on the Tag brand? I say that because I havent had a Tag before and the wife picked up a Formula 1 Tag that just doesnt want to keep time and its pi$$ing her off. The stupid things runs fast to the tune of 10-15 minutes every 4 days...............

On this experience I dont think I would be buying another Tag even though some of their watches look great.

I thought the Tag Heuer F1 was a quartz watch rather than an automatic watch. In which case it should drop virtually no time as Quartz watches are normally super reliable. I would recommend following Orion03's advice regarding a service or taking it back under warranty. A lot of places provide lifetime battery replacement and servicing for Tag watches so may be worth going back.

I have found from Watch Forum's that Tag Heuer causes a lot of debate amongst watch lovers as there are distinct differences in point of view. A lot of posters seem to criticise their movement in comparison with other brands like Omega and Rolex with the suggestion that the brand is more about good marketing rather than innovation in watch making.

I have a few Tag Heuer watches and have an automatic Senna chronometer as my daily watch and have not had any issues regarding its timekeeping or quality. I have a quartz SEL chronograph which is more than 20 years old and which keeps perfect time and which still looks brand new. I also have an Omega Seamaster and other than the fact it is noticeably heavier I don't notice a difference compared to my Tags.

I thought the Tag Heuer F1 was a quartz watch rather than an automatic watch.  In which case it should drop virtually no time as Quartz watches are normally super reliable.  I would recommend following Orion03's advice regarding a service or taking it back under warranty.  A lot of places provide lifetime battery replacement and servicing for Tag watches so may be worth going back.

I have found from Watch Forum's that Tag Heuer causes a lot of debate amongst watch lovers as their are distinct differences in point of view.  A lot of posters seem to criticise their movement in comparison with other brands like Omega and Rolex with the suggestion that the brand is more about good marketing rather than innovation in watch making.

I have a few Tag Heuer watches and have an automatic Senna chronometer as my daily watch and have not had any issues regarding its timekeeping or quality.  I have a quartz SEL chronograph which is more than 20 years old and which keeps perfect time and which still looks brand new.  I also have an Omega Seamaster and other than the fact it is noticeably heavier I don't notice a difference compared to my Tags.

Nope the watch is an automatic without a doubt. 

http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/luxury-watches/formula-1/formula-1-ladies-steel-and-ceramic-diamondsautomatic-watch37-mm-black-dial-with-49-diamonds-0-18-ct-ceramic-bracelet

Even though it runs fast it certainly runs "flat" just as fast. Dont know what the power reserve on this watch is. Her Omega Constellation runs perfectly but preferred a more casual watch for day to day. If we put the Tag in the watch winder it runs its own race :)

I will talk to Tag on Monday and look at getting it returned. I just dread how long they will hold onto it for........ 

http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/luxury-watches/formula-1/formula-1-ladies-steel-and-ceramic-diamondsautomatic-watch37-mm-black-dial-with-49-diamonds-0-18-ct-ceramic-bracelet

Even though it runs fast it certainly runs "flat" just as fast. Dont know what the power reserve on this watch is. Her Omega Constellation runs perfectly but preferred a more casual watch for day to day. If we put the Tag in the watch winder it runs its own race :)

I will talk to Tag on Monday and look at getting it returned. I just dread how long they will hold onto it for........ 

If they take longer then you like explain the principles of "merchantable quality" as per the Trade Practices Act.  A brand new watch that drops 10 mins a day is clearly not of merchantable quality.

Try hand winding it, say 40-50 winds, then see how it runs.

well this is nice...

http://clockmaker.com.au/w/k4309.html

k4309_2.jpg

Very nice, and very under-rated.  The Calibre 36 is actually a Zenith El Primero movement, as found on some $10k+ Rolex Daytonas.  Not bad for a watch you can pick up for $2K if look hard enough.

Try hand winding it, say 40-50 winds, then see how it runs.

Very nice, and very under-rated. The Calibre 36 is actually a Zenith El Primero movement, as found on some $10k+ Rolex Daytonas. Not bad for a watch you can pick up for $2K if look hard enough.

Alex what's the point the watch runs fast not slow. It picks up time not lose time.......

Personal experience. That said, I'm talking max a min a day, not 10!

This is on a carrera too. I find it drops less time if you hand wind it when you put it on, maybe 15 to 30 seconds a day. I still love my watch though.

Edit - mine drops time not picks it up.

Nothing wrong with Tag's they mostly use ETA movements anyway and are pretty good quality standard movements.

I've got one from .... 1993, my "oh I got a real job lets buy a watch" ... just got serviced by a local guy, runs great, keeps great time, it's still my go to swimming watch.

After a month in a winder... it's only a couple of minutes off max.

for some perspective, Rolex's etc normally state "certified" and that means COSC certifications, 

COSC= Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

COSC Standards: Mechanical

Average daily rate: −4/+6[13]   seconds

That's about the best anyone can expect from a mechanical watch.

But 10 minutes after a few days... take it back, get a new one.

Just got off the phone with the Tag Service Centre and had to bite my tongue.

According to them the watch can gain anything upto 8 minutes in a 4 week period!!! Seriously that is pretty stuffed. 6 to 8 weeks turn around for recalibration. Remind me never to buy a Tag again. 

I think I will be going back to the retailer and giving them my opinion rather than the snooty service consultant - I had kids present to let it rip..................

Do you buy a Tag for the timekeeping ability?

Most people have a phone with online time, accurate to a miilionth of a Greenwich crystal oscillation.

A Tag is a fashion statement.

I didnt spend $X for it not to keep time. As a fashion accessory its useless bling then.................

She is a mechanical engineer so she wont be impressed with their lack of time keeping ability once I tell her. There is a reason I guess her Omega cost what it cost, that said the RRP of the Tag is not insignificant either. No wonder they offered 25% discount without any haggling. Should have just bought the quartz version and saved money too............... (Rant over) 

My IWC or even Chopard keep time in and out of the winder.................... 

According to them the watch can gain anything upto 8 minutes in a 4 week period!!! Seriously that is pretty stuffed. 6 to 8 weeks turn around for recalibration. Remind me never to buy a Tag again. 

Ridiculous!

Sorry to hear about that, those big brands get very arrogant. 

Nothing special in that watch, it's just an ETA movement.... $150 worth....

Since you are in Melbourne, you might want to take it to this guy:

http://www.omegawatchrepairsmelbourne.com.au/

He'll sort you out and get that watch keeping time.

edit:

this is the movement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA#ETA_2824-2

• the Standard grade is adjusted in two positions with an average rate of +/-12 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/-30 seconds/day;

at +30 sec a day, that should only be 1 min every two days, 2 min after 4 days, not 10 minutes like you have.

Tell them off, or get on Facebook Tag page and tell them off there.

I didnt spend $X for it not to keep time. As a fashion accessory its useless bling then.................

She is a mechanical engineer so she wont be impressed with their lack of time keeping ability once I tell her. There is a reason I guess her Omega cost what it cost, that said the RRP of the Tag is not insignificant either. No wonder they offered 25% discount without any haggling. Should have just bought the quartz version and saved money too............... (Rant over)

My IWC or even Chopard keep time in and out of the winder....................

Hey Arthur, did you buy it at the Tag Boutique or an AD? If Tag won't play ball I'd take it either a Watches of Switzerland or Chris at The Watch Gallery in the CBD. Tell them Amanda sent you in. Explain it all to them, they will look after you.

It may need a service, new mainspring etc But if TH are giving you crap service, I'd take my money elsewhere. They aren't difficult to work on.

Like some cars and other mechanical things, things with moving parts - occasionally you get a lemon. It's just bad luck. Sorry it's happened to you guys tho. Sux!

PM me if you want any more help.

EDIT - ok it's a new watch. I'm sending you a PM Arthur.

Re the Tag - its likely the hairspring is caught up. This can effect power reserve as well and is an easy fix by any watchmaker. It can happen when the watch is jarred by a knock, a drop or sports like golf or Tennis. Just about all mechanical watches can have this happen.

Re the Tag - its likely the hairspring is caught up. This can effect power reserve as well and is an easy fix by any watchmaker. It can happen when the watch is jarred by a knock, a drop or sports like golf or Tennis. Just about all mechanical watches can have this happen.

Golf or tennis - extremely doubt that :) jarred by a knock extremely likely knowing my wife !!!

I will wind it up and then set it aside and see how long it lasts - need to check what the power reserve is for this watch.