New to the forum? Start here...

Hi all. Just refound this forum after signing up years ago and promptly forgetting it!

I've owned a beautiful 1980 SC since 2009. She's been a faultless near daily driver being cared for by Carlos Cavaco  in Sydney but now I'm Bundaberg Qld bound and fretting about finding another mechanic, so much so I considered selling her but even though I've had offers i've done a bit of reverse tire kicking and won't sell haha. Hoping someone here knows someone in bundy that knows their way around old porsches ?

Welcome back Steve, we have probably gained a heap of new members and got a lot larger and more active since last time you were here.   

Great, Don't sell.... there has got to be someone out there who can help find a mechanic.

The car sounds grouse, again don't be shy in posting up some photos.   WE LOVE TO LOOK!  

Hey all,

long time one stalker first time poster. Some fellas from a non denominational forum I am a part of pointed me in this direction. Had been on the hunt for a 911 for a while. Plan was to drive regularly, track it and modify it so decided a hot rod was the best way forward.  My search lead me to this T and D built car. 1974 body built up as a 964RS replica.  964 3.6 engine built to RS specs, 915 gearbox with 930 LSD diff, GT3 brakes, comprehensive suspension mods, race seats and a cage. Seemed like a good starting point. And so the journey begins :) Plans are for spirited drives, track days and possibly get back to targa down the track. 

Is is a great forum with a wealth of information  

Porka_1.jpg

hey Tuetonic, such a beautiful car ??. Enjoy! Pam ?

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am looking to purchase my first Porsche & thought I would get some home truths/ good advice from owners in the know.  Please feel free to correct any misconceptions that I may have (or mistakes made).  I need a daily driver so reliability is important & given my mechanical ability starts & stops with putting fuel in the right spot I will need something that has been well looked after.  Given that my budget wont stretch to a 993 I am thinking I need to stick with a used Boxter or Cayman.  I assume they will be most reliable if well looked after?

I would love a Cayman, they are for me the next best thing to a 911.  I am a bit surprised though at the prices of pre owned examples (as they seem to retain their value over say the equivalent Boxter year model)  I'd happily pay somewhere in the mid $40s but it seems they generally lie in the $50s.  (I have been watching prices for about 12 mths & many of the cars seem to just sit forever unsold.  Is this because they are a touch over priced for the market?  I am happy to spend I just don't want to over spend.

Boxters appear a touch more affordable for the average daily driver.  I probably prefer the post 2005 models for looks but would certainly consider an earlier well cared for example.  (I bought a low k's 07 Mazda MX5 12 months ago as a test to see if I could get by with a small 2 seater to commute in & it seems to be working alright.  Was even considering giving up on the Porsche & buying a 2015 MX5 however if I don't do it now I will never own a Porsche.  Plus my wife has stopped saying 'No' & now just shrugs & says 'whatever'.  I take this as tacit purchasing permission. ) 

Is Carsales generally the best place to search or is there a secret squirrel repository of excellent, well priced Porsche's that I don't know about?

I am a fairly sedate driver given my commute runs through the city & so would assume that given any unforeseen maladies I should expect only the usual consumables & servicing costs.  Does anyone have any tips on a good independent European Service Mechanic in sunny Brisbane?  I am pretty fastidious when it comes to sticking to the servicing schedule. I currently do about 20,000 k's per year.

I am sure I will have a million more questions but it feels like I am writing a short novel rather than a forum post so I will sign off now.

cheers,

Jason.

Hello everyone,

Stumbled across this forum while looking for parts for my 1982 Porsche 924 Turbo that I am going to turn into a Carrera GTS replica. I purchased the car from Porsche a Part Melbourne with a faulty clutch and a Carrera GT body kit. currently slowly collecting the parts I need to get it going again.

I look forward to sharing the journey with you all and hope this forum will be of some great help as I am sure it will be.

IMAG1807.jpg

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am looking to purchase my first Porsche & thought I would get some home truths/ good advice from owners in the know.  Please feel free to correct any misconceptions that I may have (or mistakes made).  I need a daily driver so reliability is important & given my mechanical ability starts & stops with putting fuel in the right spot I will need something that has been well looked after.  Given that my budget wont stretch to a 993 I am thinking I need to stick with a used Boxter or Cayman.  I assume they will be most reliable if well looked after?

I would love a Cayman, they are for me the next best thing to a 911.  I am a bit surprised though at the prices of pre owned examples (as they seem to retain their value over say the equivalent Boxter year model)  I'd happily pay somewhere in the mid $40s but it seems they generally lie in the $50s.  (I have been watching prices for about 12 mths & many of the cars seem to just sit forever unsold.  Is this because they are a touch over priced for the market?  I am happy to spend I just don't want to over spend.

Boxters appear a touch more affordable for the average daily driver.  I probably prefer the post 2005 models for looks but would certainly consider an earlier well cared for example.  (I bought a low k's 07 Mazda MX5 12 months ago as a test to see if I could get by with a small 2 seater to commute in & it seems to be working alright.  Was even considering giving up on the Porsche & buying a 2015 MX5 however if I don't do it now I will never own a Porsche.  Plus my wife has stopped saying 'No' & now just shrugs & says 'whatever'.  I take this as tacit purchasing permission. ) 

Is Carsales generally the best place to search or is there a secret squirrel repository of excellent, well priced Porsche's that I don't know about?

I am a fairly sedate driver given my commute runs through the city & so would assume that given any unforeseen maladies I should expect only the usual consumables & servicing costs.  Does anyone have any tips on a good independent European Service Mechanic in sunny Brisbane?  I am pretty fastidious when it comes to sticking to the servicing schedule. I currently do about 20,000 k's per year.

I am sure I will have a million more questions but it feels like I am writing a short novel rather than a forum post so I will sign off now.

cheers,

Jason.

jason

Welcome.

Don at DHM automotive In Tennyson gets my vote for service.

Can't help you with the other questions.

Hello All,

I need a daily driver so reliability is important & given my mechanical ability starts & stops with putting fuel in the right spot I will need something that has been well looked after.  Given that my budget wont stretch to a 993 I am thinking I need to stick with a used Boxter or Cayman.  I assume they will be most reliable if well looked after?

cheers,

Jason.

Hi Jason, welcome to our great forum.

All the following my opinion only.

DAILY DRIVER.          

Definitely either the CAYMAN, next in line the BOXSTER and maybe a 996 I will throw in to the mix.

ALSO are you looking at a manual or Tiptronic?   

If your talking city work mainly a tip may be a good option.   You can always play with the manual side of it if you want to get a bit more serious or adventurous. (highly recommended)

USED CAYMAN /BOXSTER  

Certainly service books and history a major part of buying used.   Lower the K's also the better.  both the Box and the Cayman are great value for what you are getting.   With your $40K budget you should get an excellent Boxster (certainly 986 S possibly even 987's as well but I haven't been watching them lately) but you will have to add a bit more for a Cayman.   I also agree that you shouldn't necessarily not look at earlier than 2005 models they are out there and you should get a very good 986 Box around the $30k some a bit higher.

GIVING UP PORSCHE AND GOING FOR MX5

MX5's are a great car.   BUT...seeing as the wife is sorta on your side, and you have the inclination to prefer to own a Porsche.   Then to me, it's a no brainer.   Plus the Porsche has a heap of boot space compared with the MX.  So good for the working side of your life and then for taking the good lady away for that special weekend.  Get what you want or you will always say, 'I wish I hadda.... yada yada yada......you know the rest.

CARSALES    

Carsales is probably about the best place to look, but having ventured into both the buying and selling very recently I would also be looking at GUMTREE and the various Porsche Club Forums, "For Sales", plus our own For Sales here.

Good well known respected car dealers, places like AUTOHAUS always worth a look and similar places to them.

So summing it up..

If you are happy to pay a bit more....Go the CAYMAN or a 987 Boxster

But 

VALUE FOR MONEY.....A good 986 BOXSTER  really is hard to beat.  

If your not really concerned about getting an S in either,

then you will again get better value for your dollar if you decide on a base model.. (But an S is definitely better)

Keep the questions coming though.

As I said, strictly my opinion and I am sure someone will shoot me down in flames.

Whichever you decide to do though...Get a Porsche.

AND also remember what most of us think.  

If you pay good money up front you will normally get a car that won't cost you money later on.

Pay for a cheaper one up front, and you will probably pay for it down the track and probably pay more...

Oh... and in the field your looking a Pre Purchase Inspection would be highly recommended.

Good luck with it....:D

jason

Welcome.

Don at DHM automotive In Tennyson gets my vote for service.

Can't help you with the other questions.

Thanks Chris,

Appreciate the tip re DHM.  I have heard them mentioned positively on this forum quite a few times, will definitely give them a go.

cheers, 

Hi Jason, welcome to our great forum.

All the following my opinion only.

DAILY DRIVER.          

Definitely either the CAYMAN, next in line the BOXSTER and maybe a 996 I will throw in to the mix.

ALSO are you looking at a manual or Tiptronic?   

If your talking city work mainly a tip may be a good option.   You can always play with the manual side of it if you want to get a bit more serious or adventurous. (highly recommended)

USED CAYMAN /BOXSTER  

Certainly service books and history a major part of buying used.   Lower the K's also the better.  both the Box and the Cayman are great value for what you are getting.   With your $40K budget you should get an excellent Boxster (certainly 986 S possibly even 987's as well but I haven't been watching them lately) but you will have to add a bit more for a Cayman.   I also agree that you shouldn't necessarily not look at earlier than 2005 models they are out there and you should get a very good 986 Box around the $30k some a bit higher.

GIVING UP PORSCHE AND GOING FOR MX5

MX5's are a great car.   BUT...seeing as the wife is sorta on your side, and you have the inclination to prefer to own a Porsche.   Then to me, it's a no brainer.   Plus the Porsche has a heap of boot space compared with the MX.  So good for the working side of your life and then for taking the good lady away for that special weekend.  Get what you want or you will always say, 'I wish I hadda.... yada yada yada......you know the rest.

CARSALES    

Carsales is probably about the best place to look, but having ventured into both the buying and selling very recently I would also be looking at GUMTREE and the various Porsche Club Forums, "For Sales", plus our own For Sales here.

Good well known respected car dealers, places like AUTOHAUS always worth a look and similar places to them.

So summing it up..

If you are happy to pay a bit more....Go the CAYMAN or a 987 Boxster

But 

VALUE FOR MONEY.....A good 986 BOXSTER  really is hard to beat.  

If your not really concerned about getting an S in either,

then you will again get better value for your dollar if you decide on a base model.. (But an S is definitely better)

Keep the questions coming though.

As I said, strictly my opinion and I am sure someone will shoot me down in flames.

Whichever you decide to do though...Get a Porsche.

AND also remember what most of us think.  

If you pay good money up front you will normally get a car that won't cost you money later on.

Pay for a cheaper one up front, and you will probably pay for it down the track and probably pay more...

Oh... and in the field your looking a Pre Purchase Inspection would be highly recommended.

Good luck with it....:D

Thanks Niko,

I really appreciate the detailed reply.  On reflection I think an early Boxter will be the way to go for at least a coule of years.  I have a 90klm daily commute that really requires a reliable runner so I think I will get better value from a Boxter.  I've put just over 20k klms on my MX5 in 12 mths so that will be criminal on a nice car like a Cayman.

Re the S versus a standard Boxter.  Other than the engine size (& corresponding differences in brakes/suspension) does the S have upgraded specs as relates to quality of interior etc?  or is the car basically the same apart from the larger engine.  The standard car wouldn't faze me as I rarely get to do much driving other than commuting-sadly. (Plus I assume that even a standard Porsche will be several levels above my humble MX5) However if the S had upgraded quality leather/ fittings/ stereo/nav etc it would be worth considering- I like my creature comforts.

I notice your "yellow peril' has a hard top fitted.  I like the idea of fitting a hard top for summer when I would generally keep the top up & air on full due to the intensity of the heat here in summer- it's just too hot for top down.  I would then remove it in the cooler months & go top down.  Is the road noise intrusive with the soft top/ hard top?  My PRHT MX5 is certainly tolerably good re noise but by no means whisper quiet.

What would you say is a realistic service interval for the boxters? and assuming no major, unexpected problems approximate servicing costs.  I currently service every 10k klms at a cost of about $350 per service through an independent mechanic I trust (unfortunately he won't service Porsches- I already asked.)  I understand this is blue skying a bit but as you've owned one you might have a reasonable best guess.

It is my understanding that failing major, unexpected issues it is mainly brake pads & tyres that are the most regular consumables.  I know it will b e more expensive to run than my MX5 I just really want reliability.

Again, thanks for your time.  I have a million other questions but I will stop here for now.

cheers,

Jason.

Thanks Niko,

I really appreciate the detailed reply.  On reflection I think an early Boxter will be the way to go for at least a coule of years.  I have a 90klm daily commute that really requires a reliable runner so I think I will get better value from a Boxter.  I've put just over 20k klms on my MX5 in 12 mths so that will be criminal on a nice car like a Cayman.

Re the S versus a standard Boxter.  Other than the engine size (& corresponding differences in brakes/suspension) does the S have upgraded specs as relates to quality of interior etc?  or is the car basically the same apart from the larger engine.  The standard car wouldn't faze me as I rarely get to do much driving other than commuting-sadly. (Plus I assume that even a standard Porsche will be several levels above my humble MX5) However if the S had upgraded quality leather/ fittings/ stereo/nav etc it would be worth considering- I like my creature comforts.

I notice your "yellow peril' has a hard top fitted.  I like the idea of fitting a hard top for summer when I would generally keep the top up & air on full due to the intensity of the heat here in summer- it's just too hot for top down.  I would then remove it in the cooler months & go top down.  Is the road noise intrusive with the soft top/ hard top?  My PRHT MX5 is certainly tolerably good re noise but by no means whisper quiet.

What would you say is a realistic service interval for the boxters? and assuming no major, unexpected problems approximate servicing costs.  I currently service every 10k klms at a cost of about $350 per service through an independent mechanic I trust (unfortunately he won't service Porsches- I already asked.)  I understand this is blue skying a bit but as you've owned one you might have a reasonable best guess.

It is my understanding that failing major, unexpected issues it is mainly brake pads & tyres that are the most regular consumables.  I know it will b e more expensive to run than my MX5 I just really want reliability.

Again, thanks for your time.  I have a million other questions but I will stop here for now.

cheers,

Jason.

I think an early Box is a great buy.   The prices are really at the level they should stay at now for a while hopefully, any of the bigger hits are gone.   So great value or bang for your buck.  Reliability and you mention the creature comforts, are all in the box so that should tick a box or two for you.    The beauty about them is they are a reasonably practical, everyday sports car, that is just as happy in traffic as they are on the open road.

Apart from the engine and upgraded brakes, there is probably not a lot of diff between them.  

Dual exhaust outlets for the S.

Interiors much of a muchness ...exterior, it has the extra cooling duct in the centre.  But really not a hell of a lot of difference, and of course though the S commands a premium price, for a 986 you would probably on average be paying about 3 to 5k more I would think, although I haven't been watching the base model prices lately.

Definitely recommend getting a hard top especially for the weather conditions you experience up there.   I enjoy the winter with the hard top on.   It also has the demister in it.   Plus it gives it a completely new look.  They do need two people though to put them on and off.

Road noise is minimum  with both the soft top and the hard top, both have reasonable insulation in them.

Re the servicing, if your happy with doing it at 10k or twelve months I think that would be ok.

I know JOCARO have told me if I want, I could stretch my servicing out to 12 months now, because I am only doing about 4k max per year now and even less now that it is up for sale.

Bit hard to estimate the costs and that will obviously depend also, on where you take it.   A dealership will always be dearer, of course, but if all goes well and there is no major work needed and your using a good independent workshop....  I would work on between $600.00 for a run of the mill service and $1200.00 for a major service and tune.   I have just gone through my Service invoices and they vary between those prices.   But for every 12 months  or if you keep doing it at 10,000k it would probably be around the same.  Pads and tyres are also obviously going to wear as you mention, and depending on your driving style, will depend on how often they need to be changed.

I have found it goes through two sets of rears per one set of fronts in the tyre dept.   Obviously different tyres will have different wear periods.   (Ha ha, unfortunately I think the dearer the tyre the shorter they last.) Pads and rotors have been good, I don't believe in skimming rotors and would prefer to replace them when the time comes but you could probably save some dollars by skimming if you wanted.   There will always be things like drive belts or suspension bump stops or whatever, that will pop up and need replacing, but that is also just normal wear and tear

Try and get one with the full history/documentation so you know exactly what has been replaced and when.

Hope that helps a bit more....

Hi Jono, welcome! Wherea bouts in Vic are you? Love the car :wub: see you round! Pam

Thanks! I'm in Camberwell

Welcome to the forum Jono, congratulations on the car you've chosen well it looks sensational.

look forward to seeing it in the flesh on an SMT .

Thanks Niko, any SMT events coming up? Doesn't look like much happens in Melbourne

Thanks! I'm in Camberwell

Thanks Niko, any SMT events coming up? Doesn't look like much happens in Melbourne

Hi Jono, 

Welcome!

I'm sure there will be more drives as the weather gets better, stay tuned. Nice car BTW. 

Hugh. 

I think an early Box is a great buy.   The prices are really at the level they should stay at now for a while hopefully, any of the bigger hits are gone.   So great value or bang for your buck.  Reliability and you mention the creature comforts, are all in the box so that should tick a box or two for you.    The beauty about them is they are a reasonably practical, everyday sports car, that is just as happy in traffic as they are on the open road.

Apart from the engine and upgraded brakes, there is probably not a lot of diff between them.  

Dual exhaust outlets for the S.

Interiors much of a muchness ...exterior, it has the extra cooling duct in the centre.  But really not a hell of a lot of difference, and of course though the S commands a premium price, for a 986 you would probably on average be paying about 3 to 5k more I would think, although I haven't been watching the base model prices lately.

Definitely recommend getting a hard top especially for the weather conditions you experience up there.   I enjoy the winter with the hard top on.   It also has the demister in it.   Plus it gives it a completely new look.  They do need two people though to put them on and off.

Road noise is minimum  with both the soft top and the hard top, both have reasonable insulation in them.

Re the servicing, if your happy with doing it at 10k or twelve months I think that would be ok.

I know JOCARO have told me if I want, I could stretch my servicing out to 12 months now, because I am only doing about 4k max per year now and even less now that it is up for sale.

Bit hard to estimate the costs and that will obviously depend also, on where you take it.   A dealership will always be dearer, of course, but if all goes well and there is no major work needed and your using a good independent workshop....  I would work on between $600.00 for a run of the mill service and $1200.00 for a major service and tune.   I have just gone through my Service invoices and they vary between those prices.   But for every 12 months  or if you keep doing it at 10,000k it would probably be around the same.  Pads and tyres are also obviously going to wear as you mention, and depending on your driving style, will depend on how often they need to be changed.

I have found it goes through two sets of rears per one set of fronts in the tyre dept.   Obviously different tyres will have different wear periods.   (Ha ha, unfortunately I think the dearer the tyre the shorter they last.) Pads and rotors have been good, I don't believe in skimming rotors and would prefer to replace them when the time comes but you could probably save some dollars by skimming if you wanted.   There will always be things like drive belts or suspension bump stops or whatever, that will pop up and need replacing, but that is also just normal wear and tear

Try and get one with the full history/documentation so you know exactly what has been replaced and when.

Hope that helps a bit more....

Hi Niko,

Thanks again for the info-much info that I have been mulling over.

My wife is getting exasperated at the time i'm spending on this & other Porsche forums.  HOWEVER.... I am considering contacting the advertiser of a 2006 Boxster auto (base model).  Done 115k & asking under 30k.  My question is - From what i've read the IMS issues generally (plus the other early Box issues) were mostly ironed out by the 987 - is this generally correct or am I up for several thousands of dollars to get ahead of possible catastrophic issues??  Anything else I should worry about.

cheers,

Jason.

Hi Niko,

Thanks again for the info-much info that I have been mulling over.

My wife is getting exasperated at the time i'm spending on this & other Porsche forums.  HOWEVER.... I am considering contacting the advertiser of a 2006 Boxster auto (base model).  Done 115k & asking under 30k.  My question is - From what i've read the IMS issues generally (plus the other early Box issues) were mostly ironed out by the 987 - is this generally correct or am I up for several thousands of dollars to get ahead of possible catastrophic issues??  Anything else I should worry about.

cheers,

Jason.

Hi Jason, the 987's (Gen 1) unfortunately have still been hit with the IMS stick,

but as far as I know probably not quite to the same extent as the 986's but it can still raise it's ugly head.    

(the later 987 gen 2 DFI engine models do not have the IMS problem)

To be confident factor in doing the IMS.   (roughly 2.5k) 

Otherwise they really won't give you to much drama, as long as it has been looked after and you continue to do the same.

Good for you checking out the forums.  Definitely worth the effort.  And still before you decide consider the PPI for other stuff...just to be sure to be sure...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and been lurking looking for a month ever since the desire to own a Porsche overcame me and I've managed to convince the other half we should get a real sports car. We have had for years a bmw z4 (he says with arms raised waving white flag) and while it's nice enough, I'm sick of it (and the depreciation) so there my mind turns to a 911, so here I am and I'll have some questions somewhere for you learned gentlemen....

Welcome Sandy, good to see you are coming in from the cold.....and have seen the light.:P

I used to have a Beemer, many moons ago, I quickly found out what BMW stood for... "Big Money Waster":o

Sorry mate, Just taking the pee there, sounds like your Beemer has been good to you.

Plenty of wise 911 people on this forum to help you out with anything you need to know.

Good luck with the hunt and enjoy the Forum 

Hi Niko and Steve,

Sorry cant work out how to reply to individual posts - been over in the general car values section getting some good info too. Steve I've been working on her for 2 months hahaha, the car will be hard earned! I'll go test drive it maybe Saturday and then if that goes well organise an inspection, will let you all know my results. Niko, haha you're not wrong, I want something that goes up in value not down and these 993's are getting out of reach if I wait any longer - I figure the servicing etc probably costs the same as a Big Money Waster. We've been lucky with the Z and never had any real issues. Yes many replies with advice and knowledge and opinions and that was exactly what I was after. Thanks for your wishes

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just stumbled on this forum and thought, why not join?

I've been mostly lurking on the planet-9 forums and really starting to get the itch for a new exhaust for my car.

A little background I guess, in my late 20s, from NSW and after dreaming about buying a porsche for who knows how long, I did what my co-workers labelled the "irresponsible thing to do", I flew up to Cairns and bought a 2006 Cayman S and never regretted it. I've owned her for about 2 years now, only thing I've really done is get some Fabspeed x-style tips on the exhaust. I am still thinking what exhaust to get, the Capristo variable valve one is the one that's appealing to me at the moment, it seems liveable especially since you can control the volume - though it is a little pricey but why not right? hehe

i guess the alternative I'm looking at are some performance headers and leaving the rest of the exhaust stock - I don't like drone.

50fq.jpg

Edited by dahon

Warm Welcome Dahon, we can always do with another CAYMAN on the forum.   They are definitely the future...  

That car looks grouse.    

Nothing wrong with being "Irresponsible" every now and again.

I'd be putting money on it that your co workers are wishing they were as irresponsible as you.

Are the windows tinted?

Great wheels too. look good and easy to keep clean.