New to the forum? Start here...

Hi Murray, welcome to the forum!

We met during the PCV run to Galli in March.  Glad to hear your enjoying your ride, keen to get some feedback on the A/C upgrade once the weather starts to improve.

All the best, Peter

Hi all, after lurking for a several months, my first post.  In fact, my first Porsche and first car that has not also had to function as a daily driver.  

It's a 2005 997.1 manual with 70,000km.  Base Carrera in arctic silver with a couple of options, the most obvious being the Carrera S alloys.  In the 2 months so far I'm learning about some of its idiosyncrasies such as the inconsistent oil level display (which initially caused me some anxiety after apparently going from near full to bottom mark within 100km), RH door mirror that drifts inwards, brake calipers painted red by the previous owner (trying too hard to resemble an "S"?) and a rattle from the B-pillar trim, but otherwise it seems to be a straight, well preserved and maintained 997.  Oh, and most importantly it produces a huge grin on my face when I run it up to the redline or point it around a curve... or both.

Being 10 years old some essential maintenance is coming up.  After a major service which I arranged upon pick up, some new non-sticky radio buttons and a repaired Carrera badge on the engine cover, the next item will be brakes (front rotors and pads all round).   The clutch seems to be strong, but I imagine will need a look in the medium term, at which time I gather is good time to replace the IMS bearing - it's an early 997 with I believe the smaller IMSB.  An inspection underneath shows the RMS / gearbox area to be dry, which I hope stays that way.  

An obligatory pic below (who can name the location?)  And to clarify, my username obviously refers to the car…my wife will testify it does not apply to me!

cheers

photo.JPG

Edited by Sixpack
Pic added

Welcome to the forum sixpack. Nice work on getting one of the older m96 engines which allow for the ims retrofit.

Thanks Mike737… I would have preferred a newer 997.1 (with the later version of the IMSB), but it was a trade off of how much could I justify on the purchase vs keeping my marriage vs the odds of a IMSB failure.  I paid considerably less than some newer (MY06, MY07) 997.1s that I also inspected which were in similar condition.  The difference in purchase price is effectively my kitty for maintenance - hopefully of the preventative kind.  

I see you have 996.2- have you done anything to your car's IMSB?

Well I'll have a go, I think you are just north of Kiama looking back south over the town. Welcome to the PFA.

Hi Tingy944

Very close - south side of Kiama at the bends (fun in any Porsche) looking towards Gerringong.  Lovely spot.  Pity my car was dirty with a few days' road grime.

ps: I have a soft spot for 944's having had a poster of one when I was 17 around the time they were launched - I guess that shows my age!  Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome aboard James, nice couple of cars you have there.    

Hopefully see you on an SMT as soon as the weather improves a bit.

We all love photos here so feel free to put a few up...

Enjoy the Forum..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , Ive been lurking for a while now and thought I would finally sign up. After a change in personal circumstances I no longer have the need for an SUV so having dreamed of owning a 911 since I was a boy I think its now or never. Can someone please talk me into it !!! - I'm thinking of a 996 due to the purchase price and in an ideal world the Turbo -  but Im more worried about the maintenance costs going forward. I walk to work so although it would be my only car it would really only come out on weekends and likely to only do about 8000 kms per year. Ive got about 50k to spend but could be persuaded to go upto about 80k for a Turbo - is this a realistic budget for a decent well looked after car?

Thanks for reading!

Hi everyone, 

My name is Monte and I have a 1983 911 SC Cabriolet. The car has obviously been modified at some stage as it clearly doesn't look like most SC models. I'm fairly happy with the way it looks but was a little puzzled when I checked the vin numbers. Just wondering if anyone can give advice on whether it will decrease the value or is this quite common?  Thanks 

received_10206960037256965.jpeg

received_10206960036096936.jpeg

Hi everyone, 

My name is Monte and I have a 1983 911 SC Cabriolet. The car has obviously been modified at some stage as it clearly doesn't look like most SC models. I'm fairly happy with the way it looks but was a little puzzled when I checked the vin numbers. Just wondering if anyone can give advice on whether it will decrease the value or is this quite common?  Thanks 

Hi Monte & welcome! 

Feel free to post up some photos as that will help us to give you some feedback but generally yes, modifications (in particular to the body) can and does affect values. There are exceptions although these cars are generally big dollar resto projects etc. 

Hi Murray, welcome to the forum!

We met during the PCV run to Galli in March.  Glad to hear your enjoying your ride, keen to get some feedback on the A/C upgrade once the weather starts to improve.

All the best, Peter

Hi Peter

Took the car out in 35 degrees yesterday to try A/C and worked perfect, only had to run fan on middle setting as got to cold on max. I put in retroaire upgrade as well as a couple of fans under rear condenser

Cheers Murray

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All,

New to the forum and excitingly new to Porsche ownership - been looking for the right car for a while and eventually pulled the trigger on this ( couple of carsales pics)

Super low km, 6spd M and and coming from an owner that really looked after it.

As for now, the plans are to drive it and probably some BBS LM's, exhaust and just enjoy it. Looking forward to getting settled in this one and then finding something to go with it that is more of a toy.

cheers

2elt6s0.jpg

4vl353.jpg

Morning All,

New to the forum and excitingly new to Porsche ownership - been looking for the right car for a while and eventually pulled the trigger on this ( couple of carsales pics)

Super low km, 6spd M and and coming from an owner that really looked after it.

As for now, the plans are to drive it and probably some BBS LM's, exhaust and just enjoy it. Looking forward to getting settled in this one and then finding something to go with it that is more of a toy.

cheers

2elt6s0.jpg

4vl353.jpg

absolutely stunning ? Love it!

Thanks guys - correct, is a MY06 with 40km on it with some of the best management of black paintwork I've seen in my time.

Mick7373: Unsure as to exhaust, to be honest - it is part of the reason I joined here! All feedback and suggestions welcome. Will be driving it ~10k 3 or 4 days a week to and from the office.

As for BBS LM's - I've heard the same on the pain to clean but they are just so damn sexy! Will see how I go but they are leading the pack at the moment - the OEM options amazing on a black 993 getting around sydney that I've spotted

Hello Grunt ,,,love your Black 997 S very similar to my Black 997 S ......I have the Carrera Classic,s on my Car very easy to keep clean

PA120002.jpg

some links to exhaust threads I have going ............:D

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/895252-fister-exhaust-mod-who-has-done-it-diy.html

Edited by Raven

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've just ordered a new 2016 Cayman Black Edition. It's my first porsche and I bought it because my wife and I just visited the porsche factory and museum in Stuttgart and we were overwhelmed with what we saw.

I also have a couple of hobby cars,  a 1966 mustang GT convertible with a Roush 5.3 litre engine, and a 1968 Mustang California Special 6.4 litre. I've attached some pics of those but sadly I don't have any of my actual new car, only the stock photos.

Our Cayman is only due to arrive around April 2016 and should be built in January/February. It will replace my daily driver, so I'm very excited as I've never owned anything with such a great pedigree.  I've added the Chrono pack, PDK, Porsche Sports exhaust, reversing camera, folding mirrors and digital radio.

Looking forward to many great conversations on this forum.

Cheers Les

image.jpeg

image.jpeg