New to the forum? Start here...

Hi Niko,

Thanks again for the info-much info that I have been mulling over.

My wife is getting exasperated at the time i'm spending on this & other Porsche forums.  HOWEVER.... I am considering contacting the advertiser of a 2006 Boxster auto (base model).  Done 115k & asking under 30k.  My question is - From what i've read the IMS issues generally (plus the other early Box issues) were mostly ironed out by the 987 - is this generally correct or am I up for several thousands of dollars to get ahead of possible catastrophic issues??  Anything else I should worry about.

cheers,

Jason.

Hey Jason, welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty sure that car is a repairable write off?  Just check that out first. There's also a UK import and they are very hard to sell here, so if you go that route, just be prepared. The good ones go first usually. 

I'm a massive Boxster fan :)  and hope to be buying another one later this year.  I used to own a 2005 987 2.7L   Yes the IMS is of concern, BUT if you buy a early built 987 (the one I had was a Nov 2004 build) you can have the preventative maintenance performed to ensure your engine doesnt blow up.  I had a manual and had the IMS Solution fitted, this option is deemed a permanent fix as a external oil feed is fitted to lubricate the bearing. If you google IMS Solution you will find a great video showing exactly how it is fitted and what it does.

The base 987 is on paper, as powerful as the former 986 S. So its a very good buy.  They still sound angry, handle like they are on rails and are a bit nicer inside than the 986 it replaces.

If you could make it to $50k you could get into a 987.2 made from 2009 onwards. They have a new engine the 9A1 (I think thats right) with NO IMS... personally, I'm reallly hoping to pony up enough $ to go this route next time.  Not only do you get the newer engine you also get standard things like  heated seats, newer steering wheel, new stereo stack in black (not silver) revised headlights, tail lights and I think bumper bars.  The basic engine also increases to 2.9L instead of 2.7 and has a few extra ponies too!

Ok I think thats it for now. Feel free to message me if you want to chat Boxster...  I'm more than happy to talk about them all day long.  I LOVE THEM... and literally shed a tear when I sold mine :(  I lost my job and it had to go.  But back on my feet now and better than ever IM GETTING ANOTHER ONE!

Oh and dont forget to look in the Mid Engine section of the forum too, lots of Boxster info in there. 

Edited by amanda

Warm Welcome Dahon, we can always do with another CAYMAN on the forum.   They are definitely the future...  

That car looks grouse.    

Nothing wrong with being "Irresponsible" every now and again.

I'd be putting money on it that your co workers are wishing they were as irresponsible as you.

Are the windows tinted?

Great wheels too. look good and easy to keep clean.

Thanks all! Yes, its great to be young and foolish. The wheels are the standard ones i believe, part of me wants to change them part of me doesn't.

The Cayman is amazing, handles so well. to be honest I compromised with the decision to buy a porsche and got a cayman instead of a 911 but i am converted!

I do still love the old 911s though.. maybe in the future...... far into the future haha

Yep the windows are tinted, the interior is what actually got me curious in the car in the first place. here's an interior shot for those that are curious.lk2k.JPG

Hi there, 

I am used to lurking on some of the OS Porsche forums but thought I would bite the bullet and join as a member here, closer to home. My husband and I (makes me sound like the queen...) are enthusiasts and have had a few cars over the years, Currently we have a couple of 911's (a 993 Cabrio Sports Auto and a 996 manual coupe) and a couple of Boxsters, (986 manual & a 987 Sports automatic) so I am sure you would all have some wisdom for us- I am hoping there are a few 987 experts on board- I am not used to it yet! we buy wrecked cars for our own parts too as sourcing parts can be difficult in Tasmania where we are currently (as is a knowledge base)! For what it is worth my favourite of ours is the 993. I love that car.

Hi Niko,

Thanks again for the info-much info that I have been mulling over.

My wife is getting exasperated at the time i'm spending on this & other Porsche forums.  HOWEVER.... I am considering contacting the advertiser of a 2006 Boxster auto (base model).  Done 115k & asking under 30k.  My question is - From what i've read the IMS issues generally (plus the other early Box issues) were mostly ironed out by the 987 - is this generally correct or am I up for several thousands of dollars to get ahead of possible catastrophic issues??  Anything else I should worry about.

cheers,

Jason.

Sorry for my late reply Jase, looks like Amanda has handled the questions nicely, and I would agree and be guided by her comments. 

Edited by Niko

Hi there, 

I am used to lurking on some of the OS Porsche forums but thought I would bite the bullet and join as a member here, closer to home. My husband and I (makes me sound like the queen...) are enthusiasts and have had a few cars over the years, Currently we have a couple of 911's (a 993 Cabrio Sports Auto and a 996 manual coupe) and a couple of Boxsters, (986 manual & a 987 Sports automatic) so I am sure you would all have some wisdom for us- I am hoping there are a few 987 experts on board- I am not used to it yet! we buy wrecked cars for our own parts too as sourcing parts can be difficult in Tasmania where we are currently (as is a knowledge base)! For what it is worth my favourite of ours is the 993. I love that car.

Welcome Jessie and congratulations on also becoming a financial member, great to see.

Another Taswegian on board as well.  

There are a lot of 993 stalwarts on here (although the smart ones are all getting into Cayman's now :P..only joking)

and I'm sure we will be able to help with any 987 questions or problems you may have.

Again Welcome aboard

Edited by Niko

Hi there, 

welcome Jessie! Great to have another girl on board. And what a great selection of P cars you both have. Must be hard to decide which one to drive :)

Hi there, 

hi Jessie,

Welcome to the group! Is there a red one in that bunch? I would love to have a handful of cars like that! Still dreamin' about my next Porsche but love my Boxster! Pam ?

hi Jessie,

Welcome to the group! Is there a red one in that bunch? I would love to have a handful of cars like that! Still dreamin' about my next Porsche but love my Boxster! Pam

No red ones unfortunately, I really really want a red one, my 993 would look so much better in red. I have rather dirgy (sp) colours but one mustn't complain. I will have a YELLOW Boxster soon!

Hi Jessie. Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you've got a great collection. I'm sure a number of us here would really like to see some pictures of your cars.

I will see what I can do, I haven't go any pics on this computer and my damn camera cable has just failed. I think I need a tech upgrade. On that, does anyone know if I could successfully use the forum from my iphone? 

Wait I found a dodgy pic of our 996 coupe! *Sigh* I will work on some pictures as not having decent pics is a bit of a shame.

996 coupe rear.jpg

Hi all

Have been following this site for a few months so think it's about time to make my first post.

After dreaming about porsches for too long I thought I had better do something about it before I got to old to enjoy. So after quite a bit of time looking and learning I finally purchased a 1988 3.2 911 in Feburary. The car is forest green with 185km and had just had full engine rebuild by Auto-coupe with new pistons and barrels making it 231 hp.The motor runs really sweet but living in norhtern Vic I had to do something about the ac so have fitted the retro-air upgrade and have to wait for warm weather to see how well it works and apart from that it has mainly been cleaning and polishing.

It has been interesting following the price increases and popularity of these cars the last few months as I thought I paid more than enough for the car but am pleased I got in when I did as prices seem to be going crazy which doesn't mean much if you are not interested in selling . I am not great on computers and have tried to attach a photo but file size seems to big to be accepted so will try to sort out at some stage.

Cheers Murray

Hi all

After dreaming about porsches for too long I thought I had better do something about it before I got to old to enjoy. So after quite a bit of time looking and learning I finally purchased a 1988 3.2 911 in Feburary. The car is forest green with 185km and had just had full engine rebuild by Auto-coupe with new pistons and barrels making it 231 hp.The motor runs really sweet but living in norhtern Vic I had to do something about the ac so have fitted the retro-air upgrade and have to wait for warm weather to see how well it works and apart from that it has mainly been cleaning and polishing.

It has been interesting following the price increases and popularity of these cars the last few months as I thought I paid more than enough for the car but am pleased I got in when I did as prices seem to be going crazy which doesn't mean much if you are not interested in selling . I am not great on computers and have tried to attach a photo but file size seems to big to be accepted so will try to sort out at some stage.

Cheers Murray

Welcome to our Forum Murray, your "dream come true" car sounds grouse.   Forest Green is a great colour.  

Hopefully the up rated air con will make things a bit more comfortable for you.

Your right with the prices, heading North at a rapid rate.

Re your photos, If you use photobucket (you can get a free account there) it makes it easier to post photos.

We love to see photos on this forum.

Enjoy the forum and your porker... 

Hi there,

My name is Francois, I'm new to this forum (created my account just a few minutes ago).

I've arrived from France last Friday and will be working in Melbourne for a couple of years, maybe more.

I had a lovely Cayman S in France, which I had to sell for coming here. Made me sad (!) so I am about to replace it with a 2006 Boxster S that I've already inspected here in Melbourne. It's in good exterior condition but the interior needs some serious attention. I chose it because of its low mileage and its combo (seal grey, terracotta interior).

Will post some nice pictures once I get it. Meanwhile, here is one of my former Porsche... (this ribbons were only on for a wedding ;-))

Image06.thumb.jpg.b8c5dccbffe147ef14aa87

Great looking CAYMAN I can understand your grief at leaving it behind.

Good luck with the Boxster and Welcome to both Melbourne and the Forum Frenchy, maybe see you on one of our runs in the future.

Welcome to our Forum Murray, your "dream come true" car sounds grouse.   Forest Green is a great colour.  

Hopefully the up rated air con will make things a bit more comfortable for you.

Your right with the prices, heading North at a rapid rate.

Re your photos, If you use photobucket (you can get a free account there) it makes it easier to post photos.

We love to see photos on this forum.

Enjoy the forum and your porker... 

Thanks Niko

Well heres a go at sending a couple of pics

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/mp911/IMG_0145_zpsouqqzups.jpg  

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/mp911/IMG_0147_zpscobawpxb.jpg