Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I guess it's a bit like when a company gets included in an index like the Dow...then everyone has to buy into it and up it goes.

Seems that an early 911 is now standard fitment for any serious collection.  And there are a lot of collections and not that many cars.

I can't see these prices staying this high for that long.... the GTHO bubble is reminiscent.  Only a few people ever got top dollar and then prices (relatively) collapsed.  They are still unaffordable but dropped a lot in value.

I don't mean to be judgemental, but anyone who writes in their advert that they don't want to talk to prospective buyers over the phone, needs a lesson in human psychology.......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1998-Porsche-Boxster-Manual-134000-kays-Many-Extras-and-History-/141349393706?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item20e914952a&_uhb=1

I can't see these prices staying this high for that long.... the GTHO bubble is reminiscent.  Only a few people ever got top dollar and then prices (relatively) collapsed.  They are still unaffordable but dropped a lot in value.

No doubt Aus muscle cars have dropped from their pre-GFC record prices. Porsche's have a global market though unlike the AUS dinosaurs that were being pushed up buy a predominant local economy (that has been reduced somewhat). 

His has to be up there with one of the worst ads I've seen.  God knows what they are actually selling.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingswood-2747/cars-vans-utes/porsche-kit-car-very-rare-bargain-cheap/1051317823

I have a headache after reading that. Clearly he was absent when they were handing out punctuation.

"very rare" and with good reason!

bbc in essence I agree with you but some of the heat will come out of the standard cars. They will remain well above 100k.

What i think is happening is that the 911 is getting re-rated as a vehicle and a collectible. It has a strong pedigree and an interesting history and Porsche has underwritten the value of air cooled cars by ceasing production. I also think that singer etc helped by saying 'why not spend 300k on a classic feel car - anyone can buy a new 458'

There is one very big difference. Outside Australia nobody knows what the hell a GTHO is. Their "values" were a result of the mining boom in this country and collapsed as quickly. COB's pushed the price into the stratosphere. Early 911's are a world market car. 

Edit: I see Hugh beat me to basically the same point. 

You have to  pay if you want to be in the game!

How long will it last?

FS_964C2_zps0ec8a448.png

Good question! Seems a bit rich.. but hey, try find one like it! I guess it is this trend that will continue and eventually drive demand for desirable water-cooled cars up in the years to come... we are just about seeing pricing overlaps from the cheapest GT3's to the higher priced C2's and 3.2s etc

The white 964 at AutoHaus is deposit taken, same day it was listed on carsales

Crazy times.

When everyone is buying, isn't that the time to start selling?

Except that out P cars are not investments.

Wow it sold only a few months ago and from memory was at low 70s (go back a few pages in this thread, around march), now it comes back on market at 80k and sells immediately. 964 C2s are heading north rapidly toward 80k+ as 996GT3s are heading down into $80k range. Fascinating. Nice work to anyone who bought a 964 C2 any time recently for 60k ish.........like the guy who bought mine.....ahem, yep.

another crazy week in the P world…….and another day I thank some higher being for thou have own SC! lol.

Should we be surprised that a pristine, sub 70,000km 964C2 goes for $79,000? Nah, I don't think so because such low kilometre cars are rare and inhabit a special part of the market. Similar to the pristine low km C3.2 that sold the week before.

Does this mean that the average 964 C2 that seem to now have between 180,000 to 250,000km nowadays will go for similar prices? Nah, I don't think so.

So let's not panic to much just yet.....

Should we be surprised that a pristine, sub 70,000km 964C2 goes for $79,000? Nah, I don't think so because such low kilometre cars are rare and inhabit a special part of the market. Similar to the pristine low km C3.2 that sold the week before.

Does this mean that the average 964 C2 that seem to now have between 180,000 to 250,000km nowadays will go for similar prices? Nah, I don't think so.

So let's not panic to much just yet.....

I see your point but I think it is also fair to say that many are also surprised at the number of hours it takes to sell.

I see your point but I think it is also fair to say that many are also surprised at the number of hours it takes to sell.

Dee,

I don't disagree, I was a little taken aback at the speed as well! I hadn't even figured out which car I was going to get the trade in valuation done on before it went.....

There is one very big difference. Outside Australia nobody knows what the hell a GTHO is. Their "values" were a result of the mining boom in this country and collapsed as quickly. COB's pushed the price into the stratosphere. Early 911's are a world market car. 

Edit: I see Hugh beat me to basically the same point.

I get - and agree with the argument - but it's still a function of demand and supply. A decline of 20-30% for the early cars is quite possible if the supply of buyers reduces! or the supply of buyers gets cold feet.

Dee,I don't disagree, I was a little taken aback at the speed as well! I hadn't even figured out which car I was going to get the trade in valuation done on before it went.....

Lol. I never got to finish reading the description and checking out the photos.

AH will have to put a "Buy it now" button on their ads.

Thoughts on 996 GT2 versus GT3 as a weekend/track car? Pretty rare to find - will they hold/grow in value? GT3 seems to be continuing downward slowly. I kind of like the scary reputation of the GT2, that's what a weekend car should be, something to be mastered.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-2783369

Thoughts on 996 GT2 versus GT3 as a weekend/track car? Pretty rare to find - will they hold/grow in value? GT3 seems to be continuing downward slowly. I kind of like the scary reputation of the GT2, that's what a weekend car should be, something to be mastered.http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-2783369

That almost looks too good to track.........(almost)

Where is Vas when you need him!

Thoughts on 996 GT2 versus GT3 as a weekend/track car? Pretty rare to find - will they hold/grow in value? GT3 seems to be continuing downward slowly. I kind of like the scary reputation of the GT2, that's what a weekend car should be, something to be mastered.http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-2783369

It's been used on the track but " not abused on the track".

Really?

Surely that's subjective. Some drivers have mechanical sympathy, MOST would not IMO. Even if we think we do, we're not really aware of the true strains on components until tested and failures arise. Only 2c

It's been used on the track but " not abused on the track".

Really?

Surely that's subjective. Some drivers have mechanical sympathy, MOST would not IMO. Even if we think we do, we're not really aware of the true strains on components until tested and failures arise. Only 2c

These cars are not for the faint hearted and were designed to be driven. Chances of bending it due to running it off the track would be higher than inflicting any mechanical damage due to pushing it to its limits IMO.

It's pretty obvious when you come across a car that has been 'tracked' within an inch of its life, this car doesn't present like that to me.