Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Gold Coast - that's a surprise.......

You could easily wind up the ride height, remove the paint from the tyres and reinstate silver rims and it would look a whole lot better (to my eye at least).

I don't get the RS door cards when the rest of the interior appears pretty standard.

You could easily wind up the ride height, remove the paint from the tyres and reinstate silver rims and it would look a whole lot better (to my eye at least).

I don't get the RS door cards when the rest of the interior appears pretty standard.

Let's play guess the owner's age game  :D

I reckon that 964 is HORN.

If I had already sold my car I would be on a plane to queensland right now!

But it would never get up my driveway as is....I would lift it just enough to do so.

Hmmmm.....

Update: I were just about to type - Oh but the Mrs wouldn't go for buying before selling...

Thought I'd just "show" her what's came up, you know, just in conversation..(hint hint)

And she just rips out "Well buy it and sell yours!"

Am I game?

Never even driven an aircooled....  While there is lots of emotion and nostalgia around them, I just don't know if it is really a step backwards.  While the diehards have their objections to modern Porsches, surely each series was a step forward from the last...

Hugh, I think I need a test drive of your 964 to put my head straight!

Tough, especially tough on the strips of licorice as they rub on the guards

Btw Mike...what did you buy?

Chris

I bought a 964 tip cos it was available and I am impatient..... It's actually kinda fun, and my gf has asked if she can buy it from me when I find something else....

The grey 964 at the gold coast is a UK import...it's only 30minutes from me so I plan to check it out. Might just buy it if I like it.

The tiptronic just has too tall gearing to be really fun. 

And to be honest, I am missing the performance of my CaymanS. (not to mention, working aircon, no oil leaks, etc etc etc)

I'm going on a bit of a Porsche journey I guess; figuring out what car is "me"... perhaps a manual 964 is for me.

Just found this cool youtube vid for Larry Kosilla who features on Drive (youtube channel) and bought a 964 C4 too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nu1w9bdx9E

He gets it built to a 3.8 and we get to see some nice shiny bits... 

Am I game?

Yes, you must for the sake of your relationship.

You don't want your wife thinking you are all shirt and no trousers do you?

Also think about all the hurtful "told you so" comments you'll avoid by buying it too.

So what are you waiting for? :-)

I reckon that 964 is HORN.

If I had already sold my car I would be on a plane to queensland right now!

But it would never get up my driveway as is....I would lift it just enough to do so.

Hmmmm.....

Update: I were just about to type - Oh but the Mrs wouldn't go for buying before selling...

Thought I'd just "show" her what's came up, you know, just in conversation..(hint hint)

Am I game?

Never even driven an aircooled....  While there is lots of emotion and nostalgia around them, I just don't know if it is really a step backwards.  While the diehards have their objections to modern Porsches, surely each series was a step forward from the last...

Hugh, I think I need a test drive of your 964 to put my head straight!

it is backwards step, but a fun one. same way my original mini is quantifiably a backwards step from the new ones in every way, but still more fun to me :)

So to confirm. Slam it on cheap coilovers. Paint wheels black. Paint white text on tires.

Done?

is there such a thing as cheap coilovers for porsches??

I've just had a look...

Have to admit i was very impressed by how clean it presents from initial aproach. Really hard not so smile when standing next to it.

Paint is beautifully applied (more on that in a  minute).

Doors and shut lines are quite good. 

Gap at rear of bonnet seems a bit much.

Sticker missing from under front lid.

Tyres are noisy as hell and are only cheapos. They need replacing.

Aircon not working.

Grumbling noise at low speed which changes when turning left and right ... suspect it needs wheelbearings.

All orignal body sealer and seams in the front suggest it has not had a large whack. ( i could be wrong)

Doors shut beautifully. They don't appear to have ever been off the car.

Has primary muffler bypass pipe; sounds great. Doesn't blow smoke.

Engine oil dripping on heat exchangers and burning/smoking.

Says last 2 services by T&D ; should be easy to verify for the serious.

Front and rear screens removed for paint.. lots of fresh sealant squelching out of rear window seals.

Bubbling in paint along bottom of rear quarters where it meets the bumpers... looks like "rust bubbles" but how can it be for such a fresh paint job?

Large paint run (drip) on drivers door.. i thought it was a drop of water from morning wash.. hard as a rock!

Rear side glass not removed for paint and obvious overspray and masking tape edges.

The bogan stuff is an easy fix; new tyres gets rid of the idler symbols.

Wind up the coilovers which he says he will do anyway for the roadworthy.

But, the bubbling in the paint at the rear concerns me... would be a shame to have to grind it back to do it all again and spoil the colour/clear coat match.

I couldnt get far enough under it to see in the arches or under the main body sills due to how low it was.

Seller seems a nice enough fella. Told me that because it was a UK model, it had the G50 box unlike the australian cars... that didn't sound right to me.

Says has been offered $40 over the phone. Took 2 calls on it (probably from you lot!) while I was there.

I think someone will / should pay the $50; but I don't think this one is for me.

Yes, you must for the sake of your relationship.You don't want your wife thinking you are all shirt and no trousers do you?Also think about all the hurtful "told you so" comments you'll avoid by buying it too.So what are you waiting for? :-)

All shirt and no trousers? Thats hilarious! Gunna use that one

I agree, just go buy it

Ive shown my missus all sorts of things, including my 912? Her usual response is 'Will it make you happy? Go buy it'

I had already put a deposit on the 912 before I mentioned it though!

The grey one looks great to me as it is

Good grief. I thought the air-cooled adage was "buy the best one you can afford", not "buy the most boy-racerish one that's probably been thrashed to within an ounce of its life every drive". I shudder to think of the poor old gal's undercarriage, not to mention the 23 year old fittings and electronics that have been subject to the bone-jarring ride with that ridiculous ride height.

I've just had a look...

Bubbling in paint along bottom of rear quarters where it meets the bumpers... looks like "rust bubbles" but how can it be for such a fresh paint job?

Large paint run (drip) on drivers door.. i thought it was a drop of water from morning wash.. hard as a rock!

Rear side glass not removed for paint and obvious overspray and masking tape edges.

Says has been offered $40 over the phone. Took 2 calls on it (probably from you lot!) while I was there.

I think someone will / should pay the $50; but I don't think this one is for me.

The bubbling is no doubt rust under filler.

Look at the evidence:

- uk car

- drips, runs and overspray

= rusty car covered up with filler and sloppy paint

The comment about the g50 is rubbish, and raises questions about the owners level of knowledge and honesty.

If someone needs a dumped car buy a normal one and dump it yourself.

All shirt and no trousers? Thats hilarious! Gunna use that one

Lee,

I hope Trevor saw the humour in it too as that's was what was intended.

It has been fun watching the posts on this car. The young guys going weak at the knees and the old guys being a study of consternation.

I'm firmly in the second camp as it ticks all the boxes as a risky buy and the low ride height, even though it can be easily adjusted up, just shows the owner to be a numbnuts foolish and misguided.

I might have sounded harsh... Don't be put off by me. Check it for yourself.

I for one like almost every aspect of the car. If it was an aus del car, I think I'd have to part with my money.

Well it probably wouldn't be a 50k car either if it was Aus del though.

Lee,

I hope Trevor saw the humour in it too as that's was what was intended.

It has been fun watching the posts on this car. The young guys going weak at the knees and the old guys being a study of consternation.

I'm firmly in the second camp as it ticks all the boxes as a risky buy and the low ride height, even though it can be easily adjusted up, just shows the owner to be a numbnuts foolish and misguided.

Mate, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Infact, I'd probably buy you a drink if ya said that to me! Funny stuff

With regards to the car in question, I'd love to own it, and I actually am not much of a fan of that model Porsche (I'm usually a pre 80's Porsche kinda 48 year old bloke) 

No, It's not to everyones taste, and thats the spice of life, variety. 

it would be a boring life if we all liked the same thing I reckon