Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Maybe thats all it owed him, he wanted it gone quick and in a hassle free manner and $ aren't a massive motivator to him. Such people do exist I'm told :P

I have to say tho Michel, you are a true gent :D  and so are you Lee offering him a little bit more.  I'm true to my word but when it comes to a person vs a dealer, I'd break it and go with the person and not the dealer!

'Old' people generally have 'young(er)' people around to give advice.

I recently sold my old man's car for him and got $5k more than the trade in offered, then found a replacement thousands below a similar car from a dealer with lower ks and higher spec.

Even if I had no interest in Dad's/Grandad's rusty dusty old Porsche, I'd offer to spend the time to determine market price and figure out the best way of selling it.  

EDIT: I guess I'm saying don't let yourself get old and isolated

You might need to shout a little louder. Poor guy is isolated in tassie with no smart phone

For those of us that missed it, can someone elaborate on what the advert said about the car, what was it advertised for, and how much it sold for ...

Advert has now been removed so can't see the details ... Thanks..

Well I was watching Gumtree until 2am and it wasnt listed then.

I offered more than the 12k asking price, yet as I wouldnt want to have my lunch cut by a higher offer, I suppose I was a bit rude doing so.

Wayne was a nice bloke, and obviously a man of his word. I'd hate to see it go up on Ebay or Carsales at a much higher price, yet if a car yard got it, well, its obvious thats going to happen.

That was the bargain of 2015 I reckon.

Because I was annoyed I missed it, I went and bought myself another Citizen watch to dry my tears.

I reckon it was a ghost / dummy add just to tease the market.... And in the case that it wasn't I'll just convince myself it was to help me sleep better at night. Lol

It was listed at $12k, LHD Orange car imported by the owner 8 years ago, who was an American by the sound of it.

It was a 2.2 with 3 cylinders down on compression, yet it didnt blow smoke and was driveable.

Needed some resto in the paint department, yet other than a couple of dings, it looked pretty good.

The sugar scoops were horrid though! A minor detail.

Saying that, it couldve had pan and/or sill rust that I never got to see.

I offered $15k, which again, I think wasn't a very nice thing to do to the eventual buyer in retrospect.

I do have my 5th Citizen watch though, so it's not all bad. I'm still a bit 'off' about missing the car, so I may just have to buy another watch (sob, sniff!)

Yeah Smule, I thought it was a scam ad when I rang 403 times, then he answered! I kinda knew what the answer was going to be whether it was still there

Amanda. From what he was telling me, he'd listed it far too cheap, yet as mentioned, he's a man of his word, and would honour the price. I woulda paid $20k if the rust was minimal on inspection (thats what my missus told me to offer anyway!)

It was definately worth a lot more than $12k

I actually thought it was an earlier model, maybe a late 60's? You wanna chime in here Michel?

Lee et al

as per prev post if you look at details such as window engine lid grille

SWB

What was it worth in current cond? Without proper inspection and if body was solid, paint 10 footer all matching numbers despite listed engine cond - 25-40k

Noting you'd be tipping depending on skills and your desired outcome ...money in for

Engine

Gearbox?

Body?

Suspension?

Brakes?

Other?

Would it be a simple recommission on top of part full engine rebuild what's the emoticon for fu@k nose ?

I'm still trying to convince myself that it was a money pit dogs breakfast!

As everyone knows, the price is what someone is prepared to pay when it comes to any cars.

I would've coughed up $20k as a gamble. Whats the worst that could happen, it IS knackered and I sell it off for what I paid. It's still cheap in my opinion for a classic Porsche

I agree with Michel with regards to it's 'possible' current value, yet being as none of us have seen it up close, we'll never know.

Until it comes back up for sale, then I reckon someone should go have a squiz.

The 1990 S4 at $26.5k is a peach. Seen it. Drove it.like it a lot. BWA did a ppi that was pretty good. I think if anyone here is keen on a 928 it would be prudent to consider this one.

I have no affiliation with car nor seller. Just passing on what I've seen.

Cheers

Hughesy

Tatty '77 UK import 911 for $35,000.

Nice. Rather partial to silver with bright door frames.

The first 6 photos of it at the 'Ring are a cool inclusion in the advert too.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1977/SSE-AD-3300781/?Cr=5

Like how it says... Australian sun had taken its toll ... Wot bout English salt ey Eddie ...

Still the owner done a good deed by getting a ppi

Ack! 

Apparently nothing major, some minor scratches and rust spots to deal with when being resprayed but no major rust concerns

Rust never sleeps!

​Seems like good buying at the cheaper end of the market though. Looks nice with the brightwork.

Ack! 

Rust never sleeps!

​Seems like good buying at the cheaper end of the market though. Looks nice with the brightwork.

Factory RHD and if no major rust is found it would be a very good buy, but have to take into consideration the fact that this car spent most of its life in winter salt and Porsche only started galvanising in 1976 but the process was not great until improvements in the late '70s or early '80s. 

at $35K with a paint needing a fix, it would put this in the mid $40k range  ...  and this does not include any work on the motor or gbox and the "There is a list of mechanical items that need fixing ...." list, so it could go high $40k to low $50k for a clean, original and well sorted, factory RHD 2.7l 911 .... I would rather put $50k into a local SC or a 3.2l

and there is always the stigma of it being a UK import and a 2.7l motor

.... but it does look great with the colour and the chrome trim combination