Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Guest hepkat63

Nice car, love the colour.

Is it really worth $166K ???? I have no idea about prices for early 911's

from the little I know - I wouldn't say so - but there are a lot of premiums attached to this car - totally original, rare colour, low mileage, perfect service history, one owner - if you were after one - that's the one you'd buy.  If that was your favourite model and colour - price would not really be the concern.

from the little I know - I wouldn't say so - but there are a lot of premiums attached to this car - totally original, rare colour, low mileage, perfect service history, one owner - if you were after one - that's the one you'd buy.  If that was your favourite model and colour - price would not really be the concern.

Lovely car, even if the steering wheel is on the wrong side.  The main problem, as I see it, is if you wish to drive it you will probably be eroding its value.

The most interesting part of the advertisement, to me anyhoo, is this bit "They planned to upgrade their wine-making facilities and decided to sell their prized 911E, along with a 1956 Porsche 356A Speedster which we also purchased."

Yep, I live in the Barossa Valley.

Tough business to be in, conversely going big seems to ruin most.

I feel for the local vignerons, they really are the backbone and they get bent over the most.

That said, there are still a lot of wonderful boutique 3rd generation wineries and they make some cracker stuff.

Well, there's only one thing for it.

Buy more Commodores and drink more Australian wine people, you're letting the country down!!!!!  :D

Right, I'm off to buy a nice Margaret river red, someone go buy a HSV, let's get this ball rolling.

Yep, I live in the Barossa Valley.

Tough business to be in, conversely going big seems to ruin most.

I feel for the local vignerons, they really are the backbone and they get bent over the most.

That said, there are still a lot of wonderful boutique 3rd generation wineries and they make some cracker stuff.

Too true.

I'm one of those local vignerons albeit in Margaret River, and like all primary producers in Australia, we feel we are grossly underpaid for our produce.

Our grapes represent only a dollar or two of the end cost of a bottle of wine. Usually the bottle labels cost more than the grapes! How crazy is that?

In spite of all that's wrong, I'm still not going to buy a Commodore. The last one I had was a VN SS HDT Wagon. The front strut towers started to collapse inwards and upwards. When I approached GMH, they said that it was still within tolerance because they had only (!) collapsed 8 cms, and the tolerance allowed was 10cms as I recall. My response was that they weren't likely to go the other way, were they? Of course, they would keep collapsing as the metal stretched, and they did, past the 10 cm mark. In the end I couldn't get an alignment to hold, the car had ever increasing negative camber, and a different ride height left to right. The last straw was that the dealer wound up the wheel nuts so tight after the last inspection that three studs on the front left snapped off the next day on my way to work, and the ruddy thing tried to kill me. Exit one wagon on a tilt tray. I noted that the next model along had reinforced strut towers! Never again has a GM product sullied my driveway.

Now, pass the Australian wine. Let's support the local industry.

Too true.

I'm one of those local vignerons albeit in Margaret River, and like all primary producers in Australia, we feel we are grossly underpaid for our produce.

Our grapes represent only a dollar or two of the end cost of a bottle of wine. Usually the bottle labels cost more than the grapes! How crazy is that?

i know this feeling.. worked in the dairy industry (what's left of it) for quite a few years

Well, there's only one thing for it.

Buy more Commodores and drink more Australian wine people, you're letting the country down!!!!!  :D

Right, I'm off to buy a nice Margaret river red, someone go buy a HSV, let's get this ball rolling.

I do think that the current VF commodore is most probably at the pointy end of GM products globally, sadly future Holden badged cars will not be this good..........

Too true.

In spite of all that's wrong, I'm still not going to buy a Commodore. The last one I had was a VN SS HDT Wagon. The front strut towers started to collapse inwards and upwards. When I approached GMH, they said that it was still within tolerance because they had only (!) collapsed 8 cms, and the tolerance allowed was 10cms as I recall. My response was that they weren't likely to go the other way, were they? Of course, they would keep collapsing as the metal stretched, and they did, past the 10 cm mark. In the end I couldn't get an alignment to hold, the car had ever increasing negative camber, and a different ride height left to right. The last straw was that the dealer wound up the wheel nuts so tight after the last inspection that three studs on the front left snapped off the next day on my way to work, and the ruddy thing tried to kill me. Exit one wagon on a tilt tray. I noted that the next model along had reinforced strut towers! Never again has a GM product sullied my driveway.

Now, pass the Australian wine. Let's support the local industry.

"They all do that sir...."

The VN Commodore and EA falcon were utter rubbish. Park a brand new EA with one front wheel up on the kerb, then try and get the doors open. They wont open because its twisted that much.

Anyway, at least we still grow and produce world class wine. Until its all sold off and the labels only remain.

Anyway, at least we still grow and produce world class wine. Until its all sold off and the labels only remain.

This is massively OT, but what are the primary challenges for wine producers in Australia? Is it regulations, energy prices, international competiton, transport costs, currency strength, oversupply, people drinking less wine.... My knowledge of the wine industry and the forces acting on it are strictly on the consumption end. Curious to know from those at the coal face.

This is massively OT, but what are the primary challenges for wine producers in Australia? Is it regulations, energy prices, international competiton, transport costs, currency strength, oversupply, people drinking less wine.... My knowledge of the wine industry and the forces acting on it are strictly on the consumption end. Curious to know from those at the coal face.

To avoid Off Topic verbotes, I wont answer this question!!! But Currency strength and corporate ownership of old labels has contributed to a major shift in the industry. Lack of water and irrigation has been a real problem in SA as well(we have no water, nein wasser)

I'm a sucker for sticking up for the local product.

My dad bought a VN ute brand new, it was a bit ordinary but didn't have any major problems.

I bought a VS Clubsport, 2 years old, manual, chipped and exhaust brought it up to about 200kw (A lot of power in 1998). I drove that everyday, took it to Wanneroo for track days with the HDT / HSV club. Brilliant car, got driven pretty hard most of the time and no major dramas at all, none. I'd say it was as reliable as the Japanese cars my wife has owned since. It also did it's share of runs to Margaret River (when family visited) and hauled more than the odd share of WA reds in the boot.

Clearly we've all had different experiences with the local product, but to be totally honest I am yet to find a bad Australian wine ( I do research before I buy though), and I am also yet to own an Australian car with any major problems. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've owned a lot of Holden's.........

On that note I'd better go jump in my Holden ute to buy some Australian wines before my dinner guests arrive :rolleyes:

No Oz

I knew exactly what I meant.

A wine business IS a failing.

Ask anyone who's got or had one....

Wasserkuhls in South Australia. He'll understand.

John Pooley is the recently retired Tas Porsche dealer ; also club pres and Targa Tas legend. His vineyard http://www.pooleywines.com.au/wine_awards.php is bucking the trend! 

& he's one of the fastest 70 year olds in the country! 

John Pooley is the recently retired Tas Porsche dealer ; also club pres and Targa Tas legend. His vineyard http://www.pooleywines.com.au/wine_awards.php is bucking the trend! 

& he's one of the fastest 70 year olds in the country!

I'm going to clarify my remarks again, just to make sure no one gets offended. That's not my intent at all.

When I said that a wine business is a failing, I meant it is a labour of love, not something that is collapsing around your ears.

There are many vineyards and wineries I know of, including my own, where the owners would all agree that if you cant subsidise it from somewhere else you shouldn't try it on for size. It's not an easy business at all, but very few of us would like to leave it, even if it's profitless at times in money terms. In whole of life terms it's a very rewarding, and that's why we are involved.

It would be nice to get this out of the marketplace thread and start something in another forum, as Amanda and others suggest. Any idea as to which forum you'd like to put it in? There might be some good drinking coming out of this.

What the....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-/321287917297?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Red crocodile skin interior?

Ferrari steering wheel?

Skull and crossbones motif on the convertible hood?

I can't possibly imagine why it didn't sell the first time around!

Who does these things to cars? Who stands back and say "yeah, that's way better"

Very Nice

Difficult, I'd estimate the value of this car to be in the region of 75-90k.

What a belter, MFI, that interior and that colour.

If it was all original then the price would be another 10-15%.

I don't see that the car is any less of a vehicle without its sporto. Finding a better car at the moment would be difficult.

Of course if you want an all original one then you are going to have to pay for it, but this thing blows my hair back.

I'd challenge anyone to find any signs of its conversion without know the VIN details etc....

The problem with RHD conversions is that people have seen some horrors and then tar all other conversions with the same brush.

I really like this car. ALOT.

This car is a pearler- converted yes ( factory sheet metal) no sporto (shame) and the desirable options added more recently ( still desirable)

$85k is the buy price