Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I wonder if we'll see the 997 fall to such low prices as time goes by?  I wonder if the fried egg headlights are pushing the 996 down in price due to their non-iconic front end shape.  Sorry to those that own the 996, I'm not putting your cars down (as I'd happily pick one up in Cabriolet form)  I'm just verbalising a thought I've had for some time. 

The 911 is all about being an iconic form, that changed very little till the 996 was born, then they picked up the iconic 911 shape in the 997 again by going back to the round headlights (as we all know). I for one prefer the 997 look too.. it just looks 911!

Its hard to say Amanda, I have always loved the 997 and would like to buy one (in carrera 'S' form). Just at half the price its hard not to be tempted by the 996. If you were to pick it up for 40k..................need to stop thinking!!!!  :unsure:

Its hard to say Amanda, I have always loved the 997 and would like to buy one (in carrera 'S' form). Just at half the price its hard not to be tempted by the 996. If you were to pick it up for 40k..................need to stop thinking!!!!  :unsure:

I agree. I nearly bought a 996 speed yellow Cab. with just 76k on the clock. The dealer had $49k on it..  I offered $45k and they turned me down.  Then I found the 987 I bought... they phoned me and said ok $45k and then a week later it was advertised at that 45k price.. silly silly.

Was a gorgeous car.. just gorgeous!  

I wonder if we'll see the 997 fall to such low prices as time goes by?  I wonder if the fried egg headlights are pushing the 996 down in price due to their non-iconic front end shape.  Sorry to those that own the 996, I'm not putting your cars down (as I'd happily pick one up in Cabriolet form)  I'm just verbalising a thought I've had for some time. 

The 911 is all about being an iconic form, that changed very little till the 996 was born, then they picked up the iconic 911 shape in the 997 again by going back to the round headlights (as we all know). I for one prefer the 997 look too.. it just looks 911!

The fried egg lights on the 996 and the all too easy to spot threads on IMS failure and subsequent nightmare repair costs rightly or wrongly are contributing to the price of the 996.

All it takes is a few 'IMS let go and the rebuild cost me $20k' threads on the net and google starts working its magic, suddenly a problem in a small percentage of cars is now a problem affecting all engines equally. That gets built into the price.

The other way to think about which model of 911 may hold value is to compare 2 and say to yourself 'if these two were the same price, which one would I take?' - 90% of people would say they would take the 997 over the 996 on the basis of headlights alone. There has to be a limit to how far they can fall ($30k maybe) but I wouldn't bank on any 996 (including the GT3) to hold its value any time soon largely because of the headlights.

Only my opinion of course.

On further reading, it seems that you could order a 993 of any variation with a 3.8RS engine, but not in Australia.

That car in question has a 3.8 litre RS motor. Those motors are just lovely things. Balanced, blueprinted, sweet things.

It really would be a nice rare car to have.

I wonder if the gearbox is to RS spec?

If so, it would just get better and better.

I think it may be an Australian delivered car for the following reason.

Engine sticker refers to ADR 37

The part number for the engine sticker 99300610703 show that this is for the AUS market

The plastic covers covering the rear anchor points for the baby seats is only for AUS/CAN. If it was an import it would have the anchor points installed.

Speedo in KPH

Very tempting car if it's original. We just need a photo of the options sticker under the hood.

Yes, I've been watching that one too but it seems too good to be true.

The fact that it's fog lights and the front valance panel aren't period correct sort of sounds the "proceed with caution" bells.... 

Can anyone shed some light what year the front valance with the fog lights (recessed) was changed on the 930's. 

Sorry new to the 930's scene and trying gather as much info as I can.

Greg.

I think it may be an Australian delivered car for the following reason.

Engine sticker refers to ADR 37

The part number for the engine sticker 99300610703 show that this is for the AUS market

The plastic covers covering the rear anchor points for the baby seats is only for AUS/CAN. If it was an import it would have the anchor points installed.

Speedo in KPH

Very tempting car if it's original. We just need a photo of the options sticker under the hood.

Let's say they bought a new sticker and changed the speedo dial....but the anchor points really make things interesting.

Option sticker and VIN to run through PCA.

Let's say they bought a new sticker and changed the speedo dial....but the anchor points really make things interesting.

Option sticker and VIN to run through PCA.

Apparently this is an Australian Delivered vehicle but was reported as a repairable write off a couple of years back..don't know the history around how the RS engine got there...

Apparently this is an Australian Delivered vehicle but was reported as a repairable write off a couple of years back..don't know the history around how the RS engine got there...

Loving it, please keep coming - very interesting. 

G5032 how do you know it was a repairable write off? Did you run a RTA report? I am on an ipad and the RTA report is not ipad compatible for the full report.

I lost half a nights sleep day dreaming about this car. Have phoned owner several times today but no luck contacting him.

The repairable write off and difficulty of getting a Wollongong PPI are dimming my enthusiasm a fair bit, but not enough to push me back into the $100k plus C4s market..

G5032 how do you know it was a repairable write off? Did you run a RTA report? I am on an ipad and the RTA report is not ipad compatible for the full report.

I lost half a nights sleep day dreaming about this car. Have phoned owner several times today but no luck contacting him.

The repairable write off and difficulty of getting a Wollongong PPI are dimming my enthusiasm a fair bit, but not enough to push me back into the $100k plus C4s market..

As the saying goes "if its too good to be true"... it usually is.

Going by the pictures it looks beautiful, but a real possibility its cheap for a reason?  Wish you luck never the less!

I'd never thought of the 996 as a step away from the iconic 911 look, more of a leap in the evolution of the shape. I wonder if the pricing is more a reflection of simple supply vs demand. The 996 was sold during "the good times" when there was a lot of money being splashed around and it was easy to borrow up to your eyeballs to pretend "you'd made it". Every man and his dog had one. Even today, not a day goes by when I don't see a 996 on the road. Over exposure takes away a bit of the wow factor and makes them more just another car on the road. A quick carsales search sees 71 1998-2002 for sale in a time when people are tightening their belts. If people want to sell, prices are forced to come down. I'd be surprised if 997 prices didn't eventually follow the 996 down. The 997 has only just been superseded so it's too soon to tell but down the track I can't see people paying a big premium for round headlights, even with the IMS issue.

sleazius and simon make excellent points on the 996.  I still love the back end of them. That one above looks great lowered.  Jim's Turbo is an insane looking car and so is the C4S and the GT3 996....  

See oodles of 996s and 997s on the road for that matter. But I don't like them any less for it.

There's 45 odd 996s for sale under $50,000

Love this color - http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/AGC-AD-13384684/?Cr=24&sdmvc=1

$37k with 104,000km why hasn't it sold?

134095674.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

sleazius and simon make excellent points on the 996.  I still love the back end of them. That one above looks great lowered.  Jim's Turbo is an insane looking car and so is the C4S and the GT3 996....  

See oodles of 996s and 997s on the road for that matter. But I don't like them any less for it.

There's 45 odd 996s for sale under $50,000

Love this color - http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/AGC-AD-13384684/?Cr=24&sdmvc=1

$37k with 104,000km why hasn't it sold?

134095674.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

More importantly - where is my 997 S in that colour? :)

Probably hasn't sold because it is a cab, in auto, and not in one of the resale colours. Doesn't help that it has ticked over 100k kms either.

Can anyone shed some light what year the front valance with the fog lights (recessed) was changed on the 930's. 

Sorry new to the 930's scene and trying gather as much info as I can.

Greg.

1984 according to Mark Haab's Authenticity Series book. 

All it means is that it may have had a minor nudge at the front that required the bolt on valance panel to be replaced.  In this case with a later panel and fog lights.  Or it could mean that it's had something more than a minor nudge!

I think you need to go to have a closer look and ask some questions Greg!