Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

too funny mate! Did your S4 arrive from WA yet? 

Yes, it has, very happy with it so far, it's a very clean example, will get it regoed in the next few days......though a quick drive reveals the supercharger is not boosting...might have to chuck it and return to stock...but the power addict in me says otherwise...how about E85, double the boost and see what happens? LOL

WP_20151110_15_32_52_Pro (640x360).jpg

Yes, it has, very happy with it so far, it's a very clean example, will get it regoed in the next few days......though a quick drive reveals the supercharger is not boosting...might have to chuck it and return to stock...but the power addict in me says otherwise...how about E85, double the boost and see what happens? LOL

WP_20151110_15_32_52_Pro (640x360).jpg

I am coming around after work today for a drive..... ? 

PS whilst that blower is off, it only makes sense to put a bigger one back on. ?

turboT, turnaround and head to Bankstown!

Only $4050 at the moment...

It used to look like this... but was starting to look a bit out of date...

$_57.JPG

But they made some sweet "improvements" along the way... aaaand - voila!  

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLASSIC-1966-PORSCHE-912-911-SOFT-WINDOW-GEMBALLA-WIDEBODY-1-OF-A-KIND-BADBOY-/272039964392?hash=item3f56d86ee8:g:HXgAAOSwu-BWPzoM

Just noticed another fun part of this sexy beast, is that the whole body kit is moulded onto the car to make it one piece. Just to make it that much more difficult to ever return it to something resembling a Porsche. Although why mess with perfection...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1996/SSE-AD-2830465/?Cr=3

This targa 993 has been up for nearly 1 year! He just raised his price from 100k -> 110k???

Can't beat em, join em.

From the ad: This car wont last long at this price $100,000. This car comes with a complete roadworthy certificate. Vehicle registration expires May 2015. It is certified roadworthy. Only travelled 99898 km. This 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 993 is exceptional value at $110,000.

He forgot to fix the text lol

Are the ceramic brakes a good thing or a liability in terms of running costs?

Hi Peter, I can't say I have a ton of experience, besides owning a set I guess....from what I have read the Gen 1 (996.1) ceramic brakes had issues, and you see them advertised occasionally with some very odd wear patterns, nothing like the metallic semi shine they are known to have...

From the 996.2 they apparently got sorted out and for anything other that hard core racing are meant to be superior, they do weigh a lot less, almost zero dust / no squeal etc

Where I think they get a bad name is people's expecations

1/ The brake pads are meant to wear quite quickly (this is by design) so this catches people out who drive past the wear limit and wonder why their $30K rotors are now stuffed

2/ If you come off the road (or track) and into gravel / kitty litter / dirt, the rotors are easy to damage....this again catches people out...big cost...hint ...stay on the black stuff

3/ The rotors are easily chipped, get a muppet to remove your wheels, and let that inner lip of the wheel rim hit the top of the rotor and...guess what...chipped rotor

So my layman's summary... they are fine and a serious supercar feature that is quite rare as they were a $36K option at time of purchase

There is also a mob now in Europe that will refurbish your stuffed rotors for a fraction of the cost of a new set

My GT3 was optioned with PCCB, I have no idea how many non RS GT3's ever got this option, would like to find out

Cheers

Robert

Are the ceramic brakes a good thing or a liability in terms of running costs?

Wondering exactly the same thing.  Appreciate if the guru's out there can confirm if the turbo S came with front and rear PCCB ceramic discs.  Advertisement  say's ceramics in the rear and confirmed with the one photo of a disc (rear) I assumed.  The ad is silent on the front disc and my eye being a newbie  (learning about 996 turbo's) is not good enough to tell from the ad photo's whether it has pccb discs on the front.  Anyone shed any light.?   If stock had pccb on all fours, assuming this car does not have pccb's on the front, with 22k on the clock, are these pccb's disc's only good, for 20k spirited daily driving ?.   How much wear would you see on them when used on the track and is braking on the track geeerally front or rear biased

Given the price of replacements  (Can you get a replacement set - cheaper than US$18900???) .  I'm thinking, if just street driving, why wouldn't you put those pccbs in bubble wrap in a box and downgrade to a factory ceramic removal kit (appears you could buy 10 kits to the price of one pccb kit and put the pccb brakes back on if you were to sell it

How many 996 turbo s coupes were Australian delivered

Hi Peter, I can't say I have a ton of experience, besides owning a set I guess....from what I have read the Gen 1 (996.1) ceramic brakes had issues, and you see them advertised occasionally with some very odd wear patterns, nothing like the metallic semi shine they are known to have...

From the 996.2 they apparently got sorted out and for anything other that hard core racing are meant to be superior, they do weigh a lot less, almost zero dust / no squeal etc

Where I think they get a bad name is people's expecations

1/ The brake pads are meant to wear quite quickly (this is by design) so this catches people out who drive past the wear limit and wonder why their $30K rotors are now stuffed

2/ If you come off the road (or track) and into gravel / kitty litter / dirt, the rotors are easy to damage....this again catches people out...big cost...hint ...stay on the black stuff

3/ The rotors are easily chipped, get a muppet to remove your wheels, and let that inner lip of the wheel rim hit the top of the rotor and...guess what...chipped rotor

So my layman's summary... they are fine and a serious supercar feature that is quite rare as they were a $36K option at time of purchase

There is also a mob now in Europe that will refurbish your stuffed rotors for a fraction of the cost of a new set

My GT3 was optioned with PCCB, I have no idea how many non RS GT3's ever got this option, would like to find out

Cheers

Robert

Hi Robert, informative post, I must have been penning my post (just posted) as I did not see yours  Can you shed any light on how much refurbished discs are and do they supply the pads as well or can you now get those separetely.

Wondering exactly the same thing.  Appreciate if the guru's out there can confirm if the turbo S came with front and rear PCCB ceramic discs.  Advertisement  say's ceramics in the rear and confirmed with the one photo of a disc (rear) I assumed.  The ad is silent on the front disc and my eye being a newbie  (learning about 996 turbo's) is not good enough to tell from the ad photo's whether it has pccb discs on the front.  Anyone shed any light.?   If stock had pccb on all fours, assuming this car does not have pccb's on the front, with 22k on the clock, are these pccb's disc's only good, for 20k spirited daily driving ?.   How much wear would you see on them when used on the track and is braking on the track geeerally front or rear biased

Given the price of replacements  (Can you get a replacement set - cheaper than US$18900???) .  I'm thinking, if just street driving, why wouldn't you put those pccbs in bubble wrap in a box and downgrade to a factory ceramic removal kit (appears you could buy 10 kits to the price of one pccb kit and put the pccb brakes back on if you were to sell it

The ad is silent on the front disc and my eye being a newbie

I can't imagine anyone would mix PCCB with steel, it doesn't make sense, but I've seen stranger things I guess

Advertisement  say's ceramics in the rear and confirmed with the one photo of a disc (rear) I assumed.

I thought the photo was of the front disc, no rear disc photo, again I doubt Porsche would mix

with 22k on the clock, are these pccb's disc's only good, for 20k spirited daily driving ?.

As far as longevity, I've heard of 100K of usage for the rotors, provided there are no mishaps (I mentioned some of these a few posts back)

How much wear would you see on them when used on the track and is braking on the track geeerally front or rear biased

Define "track" usage??....5 lap superspints should be no problems, 25 straight hard laps on slicks, going off into the traps, low pad material....then it may be an issue....not even Porsche have answered this question...and for obvious reasons

Given the price of replacements  (Can you get a replacement set - cheaper than US$18900???)

As mentioned a few posts up, there is a company that refurbish worn rotors a lot cheaper than replacement (re-bond new material and bake)

I'm thinking, if just street driving, why wouldn't you put those pccbs in bubble wrap in a box and downgrade to a factory ceramic removal kit (appears you could buy 10 kits to the price of one pccb kit

Many people do this, some people in the know claim to get cheaper running costs with PCCB, except the hard core racers, they seem to prefer the pad / rotor choices in steel

I don't know, but would be interested if someone else has this answer....would be great to consolidate all Australian delivered numbers into a single area....

I don't know, but would be interested if someone else has this answer....would be great to consolidate all Australian delivered numbers into a single area....

Thankyou Robert 930, appreciate your quick responses. 

If that is a closeoup picture of the front wheel, they look non steel discs to me and if so, surprised the ad just doesn't say pccb setup front and rear.

+1 on an equivalent of a sticky post prominently on this  site with a searchable pdf attachment sorted by years and model variants containing Australia delivered quantities would be a great forum resource

Edited by smit2100

Hi Robert, informative post, I must have been penning my post (just posted) as I did not see yours  Can you shed any light on how much refurbished discs are and do they supply the pads as well or can you now get those separetely.

SICOM do the refurb, about $1500-$1800 per rotor, I would only get genuine Porsche pads....they need to wear, not so much the rotor, any pad that may be a bit more aggressive risks wearing the rotor prematurely

I believe 996 GT2 came with PCCB standard.  I bought my car with 40,000kms.  I'm owner #4.  Owner 1 or 2  fitted steel Brembo Motorsport discs so I take that to mean the PCCBs were stuffed well before 40,000.  I've had my car at full noise at sandown and Phillip island and the thing stands on its nose lap after lap, with decent pads and fluid.  Certainly no need for more brakes for my ability.  Can't see how PCCB benefits would warrant the cost particularly in street driving.  The yellow calipers have a certain pose value though.  They'd match my yellow belts nicely.