Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

And a Lotus Exige is not so fast. A good 240z or 911 RS will whip them every time. Defies logic but it's true, they just don't go as quickly as they should. There are quite a few disappointed former Exige owners around, who've tried them and moved on.

i have a pristine 240z and it would have trouble outrunning a corolla. would hate to think of the money required to get it as fast as an exige (which would do it with less fuss!)

Cal, what motor do the ginetta's run here?

And a Lotus Exige is not so fast. A good 240z or 911 RS will whip them every time. Defies logic but it's true, they just don't go as quickly as they should. There are quite a few disappointed former Exige owners around, who've tried them and moved on.

Agreed - even supercharged exiges are not that fast, surprisingly. My clubbie was faster around sandown. The only fast one I saw was owned by Greg (?) Alcock - turfed the rover lump and installed a supercharged Honda engine in an S1 Exige, one of the fastest club cars but spent a packet on it. And probably not really road driveable despite rego.

As for 240Z, fast ones have turbos. There's a very clean red one around the club events with engine bay stuffed full of RB26 twin turbo GTR goodness.

I'm about to chip my M135i to 380hp for $1,500 and take that on track for a laugh - should be a blast in a straight line but then I have to contend with the rubbish electric steering to go round the bends.

If cheap cup cars are too expensive to run, how's a GT3 for club events (suitability and cost to maintain)? Pick up a ratty 996 for 75-80k and go have some fun?

I still think it would be hard to beat the feel of an exige though. I just love that it's so small and has a 2zz at the heart.

I could be biased though because I once had a celica which I built the engine and did a custom Rotrex SC install. I loved that car, pulling to 9k was a blast every time. I will most likely do a 2zz swap into my MR-S soon.

I am jealous of how easy 135is get a big bump in power with a plug in tune. I had a z4 m Coupe and getting more power out of that was a waste of time and a lot of money. I imagine the same is true for most 911s

Great vids Cal. I didn't know we had Prod Sport guys on the board.

What's the earliest air-cooled that ran in the competition?

Cheers.

Cal's pretty humble. He won the QLD prod sports championship in 2013 and is a well known quality wheel man. I'm a bit handy behind the wheel but Cal is next level. 

Agreed - even supercharged exiges are not that fast, surprisingly. My clubbie was faster around sandown. The only fast one I saw was owned by Greg (?) Alcock - turfed the rover lump and installed a supercharged Honda engine in an S1 Exige, one of the fastest club cars but spent a packet on it. And probably not really road driveable despite rego.

As for 240Z, fast ones have turbos. There's a very clean red one around the club events with engine bay stuffed full of RB26 twin turbo GTR goodness.

I'm about to chip my M135i to 380hp for $1,500 and take that on track for a laugh - should be a blast in a straight line but then I have to contend with the rubbish electric steering to go round the bends.

If cheap cup cars are too expensive to run, how's a GT3 for club events (suitability and cost to maintain)? Pick up a ratty 996 for 75-80k and go have some fun?

in the interest of accuracy, allow me to point out that much of what has been said about the Elises and Exiges is not correct.  In particular, the comments about how fast they might be, how driveable they are with the Honda engine, and what it costs to convert them.

and no one has said what a hoot it is to drive a car that is light, responsive, possessed of unbelievable handling and stopping and as fast or faster than the much more expensive cars with much larger donks

Apparently he has offers above $30k. What's it worth?

I'm not sure what it's really worth but I got this from him in reply to whats the VIN.

Hello, I did respond to your message earlier today but i am not sure if it went through so i have sent this one to make sure.

The VIN number is 911301080. I have been told this is an australian delivered car. I wanted to let you know i have a number of people coming to inspect the car tomorrow morning. I currently have offers of $25K. Out of courtesy i wanted to give you the oportunity to make your highest offer as i will most likely end the auction tomorrow due to the car being sold. Sorry for the short notice but i have a number of very keen buyers that are ready to buy this imeadiately.

You can contact me tonight via phone call, Text or ebay message but i encourage you to repsod asap so you dont miss out.

Regards

Mark

Apparently he has offers above $30k. What's it worth?

It would be pretty hard to buy this car for 30k, take the body and interior back to 73 S spec and come out in front IMO. As Doug said, different proposition if it had the correct engine.

If only you could go back in time!

Cal's pretty humble. He won the QLD prod sports championship in 2013 and is a well known quality wheel man. I'm a bit handy behind the wheel but Cal is next level. 

Thanks for the kind words mate. I won the Qld title in 2007 and again in 2010, but in my MX5. The humbling thing about motor racing is no matter how much you refine your skills, there are people in club level racing in Australia with so much more raw talent, it is breath taking. Ash Lowe as one example. He should have made it to F1 that guy. Pure bliss to watch. 

Great vids Cal. I didn't know we had Prod Sport guys on the board.

What's the earliest air-cooled that ran in the competition?

Most of the early cars are in Group S these days. That wonderful 993 RSCS of Chris Stannard's in the Eastern Creek video would be the oldest in Prod Sports.