Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I recall this car was on gumtree a month ago and the seller mentioned it was drivable two weeks prior to him listing it. He pulled the engine and box out according to what he said back then

Tim Pritchard bought it as it is, but has too much going on, genuine sale Tim is a good guy.

Good for you Simon, good luck with it...

I'm trying to be sensible and get it checked out before I fly down and drive it … if I drive it I think I'll just buy it and could potentially get myself into a world of hurt. But I really want to just get on a plane ...

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

And that signal orange in NZ hoolie doolie!

I think a pic needs to be put in here for histories sake..

318242874.jpg

Thanks Vince - in order to comply with your request re checks etc prior to the completion of the auction can you please confirm the this is the fire damaged car that was advertised in February? 4peaks (9 star.gif) 9:32 am, Sun 1 Jun
Hi, yes this is the vehicle. All serious buyers who have enquired and viewed the vehicle are aware of this. The minor fire damage was attended to accordingly and is in factory like condition as all parts that have been purchased are either genuine porsche or oem manufacturers. 9:52 am, Sun 1 Jun

This could be worth making an offer on once armed with a thorough PPI.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-2698373/?Cr=10&sdmvc=1

A bit vague in their description of "potential" issue and am I right in saying its an imported car? The first service stamp says London?

This is a very weird one... Spoke to the seller.... Selling on behalf of a widow... You cannot speak to her, only the seller. The car has many issues. One of the potential buyers was apparently a porsche mechanic who walked away. All the warning lights are on apparently... Abs, airbags and engine light. All shocks are weeping... The oil leak is enough that it drips overnight.... I think you would have to assume the worst. That is a full engine rebuild. Pretty sure these early 964s has no head gaskets or something like that and are print to leaking and the usual head stud probs.

when I called the service centres listed in the books, they had no records of the car having ever been in there and even suggested that their dealer stamp may have been used although they didn't do the work. Yes, I found it hard to believe too.

I asked about getting it checked out and the seller wasn't keen on getting to a porsche centre because they are about an hour away from anything...

Apart from all that, I do like it. But surely it would need to be closer to 30 something to make it worth the risk?

A bit vague in their description of "potential" issue and am I right in saying its an imported car? The first service stamp says London?

Tourist delivery? First service looks like its a London mechanic but the service distance says kilometres (km next to number) plus the compliance plate looks std

Dave

Tourist delivery works or I should say worked as they no longer do it like this. 

Buy a car from say Porsche centre Sydney. Tick tourist delivery.

They will give you a build date and pick up date.

Fly to factory pick up car go for a drive around europe in said car.

Drive back to factory hand them the keys say see you in Sydney to car. 

Fly home wait for car to catch up.

Pick up car from Porsche centre Sydney.

Done. 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bendigo-3550/cars-vans-utes/1974-porsche-911-coupe/1045180736

Anyone have any info on this car?

Front bumper looks a little off to me and the whale tail looks a bit faded. Steering wheel is obviously not original and if i had to guess I'd say they arent 74 wheels? Dare I say that they almost look like cup wheels?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bendigo-3550/cars-vans-utes/1974-porsche-911-coupe/1045180736

Front bumper looks a little off to me and the whale tail looks a bit faded. Steering wheel is obviously not original and if i had to guess I'd say they arent 74 wheels? Dare I say that they almost look like cup wheels?

Wheels may be off a 964? Quite a few gaps in the description. Whale tail in poor shape.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely a few gaps! Hence the price.

Cosmetic problems don't worry me nearly as much as any structural and mechanical issues so priority would be getting that RWC, which the seller clearly states will not be supplied with.

Stating "Sold as is" may be a good clue for the fate of any potential buyers who arent well versed in what they're looking at.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely a few gaps! Hence the price.

Cosmetic problems don't worry me nearly as much as any structural and mechanical issues so priority would be getting that RWC, which the seller clearly states will not be supplied with.

Stating "Sold as is" may be a good clue for the fate of any potential buyers who arent well versed in what they're looking at.

Mate even before you think about a roadworthy go and get a PPI from a good Porsche mechanic. Trust me, it will be the best $500 you ever spend and will tell you exactly what you're in for.

no centre vents and speaker grille says '74, which means no galvanising. Also I'm not sure if body coloured headlight rings were standard, and I thought they had more chrome around the windows etc so probably had a fair few mods (wing and Carrera script for starters)