My new 3.2 (and my first Porsche)

Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself (brand new PFA member).

My [brief] story:

I'm a car guy (aren't we all? silly comment really). Never have I owned the same car for more than a year though... WHY? Because I have what some might call "Car Affairs". I dream of owning a classic 70's celica - I buy one, strip it, paint it (three times over). I dream of driving a BMW e30 with a big 7 series 3.5 litre engine - I build one. I see an older Mx5 skip past around a corner at 100kms about an inch from the ground with a roll cage and wide rims, I chase it and buy it on the spot (each of these are real scenarios from my car history). The dream to own an air-cooled Porsche though has been long lived and so I'm not sure this affair is a passing desire. Time will tell......

My [brief] 911 story:

I've been on the hunt for a 911 for a couple of years, but really only got serious early this year after driving a friends 911 SC. I got lots of advice, spoke to lots of owners and mechanics, and decided an Aussie delivered SC or 3.2 with impeccable history was the go. It's harder than it sounds to find a 30-year old car in really good nic that belongs to an owner who doesn't want it any more. I inspected about 10 cars personally and had pre-purchase inspections on 3 before I finally bought mine. 

She was listed on car sales in Sydney, and after chatting to the owner I was on a plane the next day. As the cab pulled up to the house of the previous owner she was sitting in the driveway and I already knew it was the car for me. 30 minutes later I had secured her for a pretty penny.

The car itself:

...Is a white 1985 3.2. She is 100% original except for some monster Simmons wheels (not sure where the fuchs left her but the Simmons are beautiful in their own right). Not a single scratch, dent or sign of rust anywhere. And the best bit - not a single sign of any [oil] leaks/weeps anywhere. The guy I purchased the car from was a classic car collector of sorts, with a 351 XY GTHO, a 66 white fastback mustang and a Torana XU1 all parked in the garage. He had a couple of family cars also and no room in the garage. For him, it was the 'foreigner' that he chose to let go from the collection. And what a foreigner she is.

This puppy has 270,000 km's on the clock - which to non-porche people might sound scary. However I've now had two pre-purchase inspections completed (one in Sydney by Porsche and one locally in Melbourne with a well-known air-cooled Porsche mechanic) and both have told me this car is one of the most incredible 3.2's they've come across for some time. 

Where to from here:

At the moment, I'm just taking it all in. Really enjoying driving her every day. I have dreams of new seats, steering wheel, maybe 17" fuchs copies, but she's pretty damn enjoyable just as she is so I'm in no rush. 

I fall in and out of love with cars pretty quickly... So we'll see how long she lasts in my hands. But right here, right now, I just can't see myself getting tired of my new 3.2.

Photo's below (you may recognise her if you keep an eye on carsales):

yq2j.jpg

And many more...

So yeah - thanks for posting the content you do guys. It helped me decide i wanted one, it helped me find people to help find a good one, it helped me decide exactly which one to buy and now I'm sure it'll be a great community to get to know. 

Well done and welcome aboard. That car was on car sales for quite a long time. I find the 3.2/sc market strange. If a dealer had that on the lot for $10k more, it would have been snapped up within weeks but because its private sale, it would seem people didn't even bother looking at it. Your gain so good on you. Hope to see it on an SMT one day, (assume you're in Melbourne)

Congrats on securing such a gorgeous car

I have driven all sorts of cars but owning and driving a Porsche is like nothing else I have experienced. Personally I think it actually mutated my DNA as I can't even begin to explain to anyone what it is like but I know it is something that I never want to give up. There is no substitute ;)

Thanks all. Very kind words. At this stage it looks like I'll be in Melbourne on he 29th - and if so, I look forward to meeting the PFA crew for a maiden PFA drive.

Today the car is in for a very premature general service. It's funny... No matter how good the history of the car is, and where it's been looked after, there is something really satisfying about taking it to 'the shop you pick'... And something even more satisfying about doing it long before it's supposed to.

Can't wait to see how she feels with new spark and fluids!

Archived