Why the 911 3.2 Carrera Coupe Drought?

Simon the link to the white one you posted makes the dark blue widebody listed at $52k a few months back an absolute bargain...if i recall it was immaculate and had a recent top end rebuild, and Aussie delivered.

Yep! I thought the blue one was sensibly priced at the time and the buyer paid what it was worth. I think it was a guy on here who bought it and was very happy with it. Seems like a great price now.

There was another '87 white one a month or two ago advertised at $57k. It's gone. 2 years ago, if you were patient, you could have picked one up for under $40k. I can think of at least 3 cars advertised for $39k in the lead up to me becoming a buyer. When I was looking at buying my old 3.2 back, the guy wanted $43k. I told him he wanted too much for it and I didn't go ahead with the purchase. There was a grey G50 with 130,000kms in Perth for sale for $50k 18 months ago. It sat there for a few months. It was back on the market earlier this year for $69k. I'm not assuming he got what he wanted for it but it's gone. Crazy times...Glad I'm not hunting for one at the moment.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many people are rushing in because the market is hot...will these cars come back on when sales slow and they get bored with it?

Simon..I've been jealous of your car since you posted the 'i just bought it' pics.

THe difference in last year and this year is...well, night and day.  I just can't believe how quickly the market has turned.  The first time I looked for 3.2 carreras there was at least 10 for sale, and many sat around for months and months.

Its only a bubble if it bursts!  :ph34r:

Classic Porsches are hotter than our hot real-estate market... unreal.

I agree with you, and my feeling is that it is madness to chase a market which appears overheated.  Even if prices never come back, you're still better off waiting until the heat goes out of the market, so you can be at least a little bit careful.  Nobody really should be buying old cars virtually sight unseen because there is not enough time to do even the tiniest bit of due diligence. 

As with housing, a hot market tends to flush out the dogs as the good stuff stays waiting for higher prices.

But if money keeps getting printed at the rate it is...who knows?  Why keep it in the bank when there is no advantage?

Nobody really should be buying old cars virtually sight unseen because there is not enough time to do even the tiniest bit of due diligence. 

I remember speaking to someone at a NSW dealer last year about a silver 3.2 they had received as a trade in from a guy in Melbourne. The 3.2 was sold while it was on the truck on its way to the dealer. I don't think the dealer or the buyer had seen the car. All based on photos of the car.

I remember speaking to someone at a NSW dealer last year about a silver 3.2 they had received as a trade in from a guy in Melbourne. The 3.2 was sold while it was on the truck on its way to the dealer. I don't think the dealer or the buyer had seen the car. All based on photos of the car.

Ahem.............I think that may have been a 3.2 that was traded for a 993.

May even be a prominent member of this site.......

Ahem.............I think that may have been a 3.2 that was traded for a 993.

May even be a prominent member of this site.......

Yes it was on a 993. I'd never put 2 and 2 together!!! :)

I agree that it's a drought of 911 manual coupes in general, and not limited to the 3.2.

As a long term carsales.com.au tragic, I know that the total number of Porsche listings for sale has increased by 50-100 per year over the past few years to the current ~ 1100 listings.

Going through the 911 listings just now, with the criteria of - air-cooled, coupe, manual, non-turbo, 2-wheel drive, Aust delivery, unmodified - the total number of cars to choose from is...

Four!

2 x 3.2s and 2 x SCs.

It was 2012.

The guy in Melbourne was trusted.

Actually they got the down low on the car from the mechanic.  Small community.

It was 2012.

The guy in Melbourne was trusted.

Actually they got the down low on the car from the mechanic.  Small community.

All that is fine and expected.  I know of several cars I would buy sight unseen just from knowing the owner.

I'm talking about contacting a private seller in another state and having to make an offer over the phone - no PPI, no organising to fly out and look at it.  

I could conceivably buy from a well respected dealer if the car presented OK and I knew the dealer felt their reputation was more important than a quick buck on a bad car.

Yet again, really interesting reading all the posts.

In some sense, I feel dishartened having entered the market on a high with very slim pickings. And on the other, feeling pleased that the cars are appreciating. Although I'm not after a 911 for any financial gain, I simply love the car. Which I suppose is not an uncommon theme among the readers. 

Fascinating reading Simonoz's comment about 'jumping in head first' regardless of price and have the confidence that it will turn out on the positive side of things. Not quite in line with my personality. Seems that coupled with the earlier advice about having the cash on-hand and anticipate a 48 hour transaction, all points towards an overheated market. I usually take my time and spend a fair bit of it negotiating, but that won't wash here.

Seems many of us are 'carsales tragics' and the sad part as quite succinctly put by f3nr15 as he quotes the very low number of air cooled coupes advertised, only confirms the drought.

Thank you to everyone for participating in this thread and your frankness.

Spada

All that is fine and expected.  I know of several cars I would buy sight unseen just from knowing the owner.

I'm talking about contacting a private seller in another state and having to make an offer over the phone - no PPI, no organising to fly out and look at it.  

I just spoke to someone tonight that did exactly that on the WA 964 C2. Although he did speak to some WA'ers that did know the car/owner. I'll let him declare his hand in good time.

WA had a very active dealer in the 80's, Autohaus. They sold a lot of Porsches in the 80's, and most stayed here. Then theres the guys like me who bring cars in from the east, generally Melbourne because that is (or was) the home of Porsche in Australia. Most of those cars stay here.

WA also has a lot of car tragics, and is renowned for the variety of makes and models stashed away. You can add the constant flow of migrants bringing cars with them into the mix.

I recall the local Porsche dealer telling me last year just what percentage of Porsche sales in Australia are WA delivered these days. I cant recall the exact numbers, but it was remarkable given our population. Nice business.

Yet again, really interesting reading all the posts.

Fascinating reading Simonoz's comment about 'jumping in head first' regardless of price and have the confidence that it will turn out on the positive side of things.

Spada

Thats not quite what I said, or at least meant, so just to clarify matters. What I meant was that if you have done your homework on the model you are keen on, know a good repairer, and take the wise counsel of others, when the right car pops up you will know it. Then worry about the price, not before, because you can very quickly throw money into a 911, and if you bought the wrong example you're in over your head before you know it. The purchase price is not the be all and end all with a 911. Its just the start of the journey.

I do share the concerns that many of you have over the current market, but even if you pay too much up front on the right car you'll be alright over time. Its when you're stuck with a dog costing you lots to put it right, that you're in trouble.

The critical concerns are whether the car is straight and clean. A bent, rusty 911 is not a great starting point. We are all different in our skill set, so what might daunt me might excite someone else, but a clean straight car gives you something to start with. I love the process of getting a car "right", so I'm always looking for a car thats nearly there, that I can cope with using the resources I can source and have on hand. If you get it right, what fun it is. Look at what Autohaus are doing for one of our members, with the Skunkworks project. To me that is a really well planned project, that has every chance of success because the base car was sound. The base car in that case is the underrated C4, which I think is genius.

Good call! Which one of you tyre kickers will bite the bullet? Looks like a good one. Fresh motor and reputable seller, don't see that combo very often.

Hey, I took a kick at it, but someone bought the tyre before my foot connected.

Archived