Why the 911 3.2 Carrera Coupe Drought?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not thinking much about values except to say that I'm glad I bought a few years ago because I couldn't justify spending 50k on an equivalent car today.

here's an interesting thing:  it would seem that the value of a 3.2 is now more than what I paid for mine, 30 years ago.  So I'm not unhappy.

This thread questions the value/drought relating to 3.2 Carreras.  Bear in mind that these were the last of the breed before emission control; as a result the Aussie delivered cars make more horsepower than subsequent cars.  Nice.  Desirable.  Well sorted.

I went to replace my car a number of times, chequebook in hand.  Came away from the dealerships still with my car and with my untouched cheque book.  I formed the opinion that subsequent cars to 84/85 model years were too comfortable, rather lard arsed and made for those who want to look at their cars not drive them in the right manner.

Until the 993 . . . . . . . .

Stop talking about all this rarity and desirability, almost enough to make me consider trying the market for mine, lucky the missus doesn't read this - she'd have it advertised already :lol:

86 Carrera 3.2 coupe in red completely original (still has OEM sticker under the bonnet listing options and codes)120k's and full books right back to Hamiltons delivery

Stop talking about all this rarity and desirability, almost enough to make me consider trying the market for mine, lucky the missus doesn't read this - she'd have it advertised already :lol:

86 Carrera 3.2 coupe in red completely original (still has OEM sticker under the bonnet listing options and codes)120k's and full books right back to Hamiltons delivery

what's all this dirty talk?!

My missus is the same! I just picked mine up from it's yearly service/pink slip today and remembered how much I love it. I am ashamed to say I only did 300kms in the past year... I promise to get back on the horse and use it every weekend. Even considering selling my daily driver! God it was fun.

(1) will the bubble burst. Frankly if I was that smart I would be surfing the ASX website and day trading shares.

(2) In the late seventies you could buy Ferrari Dino's and Austin Healey 3000s for nix, no one wanted them. Let me know how that bubble bursting has gone....

(3) alway nice to do the research, stalk a purchase and feel you got a really good buy. That boat has sailed for Paris I am afraid for 3.2 Carreras. You will need to go counter cyclic to achieve this and buy something that no one else wants (as much). Potential perhaps in 74-77 2.7's or SCs, or as simon k has boldly done a 996 which are unloved pricing wise.

(4) weather you are buying a runabout for travelling to uni, a flame shooting rotary or a Bentley continental, one piece of car buying advice that never goes out of fashion (frustratingly if you are cash strapped) is 'buy the best car you can find even if it costs a few grand more'. For most of my life this has been hard advice to follow as those cars are always that couple of grand more than you have available.

But ....... Ask the forum members considering the $17k re sprays, the $20k engine rebuilds or chasing rust out what the most economical strategy is.

Bottom line is they are not making any more, supply is fixed and shrinkiing. Demand will move but unlikely to collapse. The good cars aren't generally with people that need to sell if the economy stumbles. It is far cheaper to buy something that someone else has ploughed a fortune into than to buy a bargain and try to turn it into the car you should have brought the first time(admittedly not advice I am following that well at present).

Where do you think 3.2 prices will go? Our local prices still seem moderate compared with some UK and Euro prices. I have a UK import purchased 4 years ago and I don't think I could re buy now at original purchase price either here or OS. Having previously owned an "Australian " delivered car I realise that there seems to be lessor prices achieved for imports, although this predisposition wouldn't apply for a 356 or 70s 2.7 Carrera. I think over time , quality will determine the price , especially given the difficulty of acquiring a non molested Australian 3.2 and as a more international market emerges via internet based sales, especially in countries that do not have the level of protection and company exclusivity zones to artificially inflate prices as we do preventing the importation of post 1989 cars. That said , is your advice to hold the UK excellent condition 3.2 coupe (manual 915 rebuilt engine/gearbox , new clutch and myriad other restoration parts ) or consider selling to purchase a locally delivered 964 tiptronic coupe.? In terms of the driving experience and future investment what would you do ?.. Look forward to your advice/comments. David

Where do you think 3.2 prices will go? Our local prices still seem moderate compared with some UK and Euro prices. I have a UK import purchased 4 years ago and I don't think I could re buy now at original purchase price either here or OS. Having previously owned an "Australian " delivered car I realise that there seems to be lessor prices achieved for imports, although this predisposition wouldn't apply for a 356 or 70s 2.7 Carrera. I think over time , quality will determine the price , especially given the difficulty of acquiring a non molested Australian 3.2 and as a more international market emerges via internet based sales, especially in countries that do not have the level of protection and company exclusivity zones to artificially inflate prices as we do preventing the importation of post 1989 cars. That said , is your advice to hold the UK excellent condition 3.2 coupe (manual 915 rebuilt engine/gearbox , new clutch and myriad other restoration parts ) or consider selling to purchase a locally delivered 964 tiptronic coupe.? In terms of the driving experience and future investment what would you do ?.. Look forward to your advice/comments. David

Number 1 : do what is right for you.  Speculating on cars probably broke more people than it made, so you should really do it on what you think is the right car for you.  If you want a 964 tip, then go for it.  964s are moving up just as much as 3.2s - in fact the whole air cooled range seems to be getting pushed up with the 993s and 901s leading the way, and as each of those move up a price bracket, the 'lesser' air cooled models move up a bit as well.  The 964s seem about line-ball with the 3.2s at the moment - but who really knows.  Ultimately a tip is always going to attract less than a manual because people usually want a manual - you can see that with Sporto values - they are either less or the cars take longer to sell.  I don't see that changing.

I am no market expert by any means but I have seen that 3.2s in the UK and the USA took off like a rocket about 12 months ago - whether asking prices are being reached I'm not sure, but they are definitely at a new price level right now.  Australia hasn't gone up as much, probably because of a much less liquid market and probably because they were well overpriced by international standards already.    Realistically, any good 3.2 (or SC or mid-year) from OS should sell in Oz for the international price + shipping + hassle factor.  Within 5 years, every single 3.2 in the world will be able to be imported and registered in every state in Australia, LHD or RHD.  So of all the models these should show the closest parity to international prices.  Really, if you're looking for a $50k+ car, and you've got to have the right one, buying international and paying a few grand to ship it will not become the big deal it used to be.  

That is different for the 964 market simply because they are after the 1 jan 1989 cutoff date.  But with the Oz motor industry a walking corpse, there is every chance that a government somewhere, sometime, might let this go.  That would see more 964 & 993 imports available in Oz - assuming that international prices made it worthwhile to ship. 

Imports have a bad name in Australia simply because of so many dodgy ones brought here to make a buck - but in the age of the internet that is going to largely go away, except in the minds of some grumpy old holdouts.  

Personally those with older air-cooled cars have Porsche to thank for this.  While the 996 appears to be an excellent car, buyers aren't buying the sizeable supply of used vehicles and values are lowering.  That breaks the old 'buy the newest one you can afford rule' and chokes the supply of air-cooled cars as people shun the newer models for something older, less comfortable, less useable but more trusted and known models.

It's a strange old world but there is plenty of precedent for only certain models of cars being desired.  While the Fox body Mustang has a large fan base, they are worth much less than one from the 60s or even early 70s.  Same goes for every Jag built after the e-type, and lots of other cars as well.

Don't know why this turned into a book of a reply.  I must be procrastinating.

Hey David,

I think you will find this market split in two.....

There are those that won't buy an import for any money... they will only buy an Australian delivered car,

then there are those that will buy an import / left hooker  / converted car and wouldn't hesitate for a second....

There isn't a right or wrong either way.... it comes down to personal preference...

In saying that, I believe that here in Australia, an Aussie delivered car will always command a higher premium....

Why? Because we are a right hand side driving country and anything else is considered "left of centre" by the majority of the population, not normal and odd..... people by default won't buy "odd".... (I'm talking about the majority of the country, not the minority on here)

Yes, the real classics worth the big bucks are immune from this way of thinking, but the mainstream 3.2's, SC's etc, are too expensive to buy and export back overseas so they will end up staying here.... the reverse is true in buying from overseas, cheap to buy and even after importing, still cheaper than buying one already here....

As to whether you should keep or buy, there is no right or wrong answer (I know that isn't what you want to hear).... Do you want your car as an investment, or as a driver to enjoy....

I for one, waited for 2.5 years to buy my car, as I would only buy an Aussie delivered one... there are many reasons why and maybe some of them make sense only to me, but it's what I want that matters.....

There are plenty of folks on this forum that would jump at your UK car and /or a lefty..... neither of us is right or wrong.... again, it comes down to personal preference.....

All of the above is my opinion only, and I'm sure the next opinion will be totally opposite to mine.....

I've recently heard of UK delivered 901's getting bought and shipped back to the UK.

- since UK delivered cars are cheaper in Australia

- and apparently cars that were originally delivered to the UK do NOT attract VAT when reimported (a considerable saving considering 901 values in the UK)

I've recently heard of UK delivered 901's getting bought and shipped back to the UK.

- since UK delivered cars are cheaper in Australia

- and apparently cars that were originally delivered to the UK do NOT attract VAT when reimported (a considerable saving considering 901 values in the UK)

When I spoke to Autohaus about that white SC that appeared for a few hours last week, the sales guy told me he had fielded several international calls.   I think people would be watching Australian sites quite a lot.

You've only got to see the rust horror stories on UK forums to see why some buyers might be looking to our fair shores, especially for ex-UK cars that have escaped the rot by being in a dry climate for a decade or so.  

An interesting thought experiment is what happens when even 1000 chinese guys decide it is cool to have a classic air cooled Porsche.  No, mostly they are not into sports cars.....yet.  When a 3.2 was being put together in West Germany, the Chinese had some of the lowest car ownership rates in the world.   I'm pretty sure they will be the largest car market soon enough.  

Thanks Coastr and Dreamr , it is difficult to interpret the market when it is constructed by policy and interest groups. What is known that older Porsche cars are rising in price consistently around the globe including the higher production 3.2s, and I don't think we will see the end of this trend. Like the highly desirable classics when a price point is reached our local cars will also be drawn into this world market, especially if the Aussie dollar recedes to where the RBA would be more comfortable. Lets not forget the real issue, the wail of the flat six at 5000 plus in second or third, taming the 915 box , pointing into the apex, power on all the way through the corner and roaring it down the highway, polishing each weekend, looking at it in the garage and getting it sorted. On weekends we visit the odd winery or country restaurant and have had two great drives this week, with really cold air being sucked in through the tail making the engine silky smooth and maybe even gaining 1or 2 horsepower. love my 3.2, am confident in its reliability and drivability and have found an excellent place to have the car serviced. No more economics, like the look of the 964, but know my car. Easier question , what are your views regarding a short shift kit for the 915 ? , but then again will it detract from originality ....... ? maybe there is never an easy solution with the Porsche debate, only driving and what the individual prefers. David

I think you hit the nail on the head David..... "maybe there is never an easy solution with the Porsche debate, only driving and what the individual prefers"

I personally wouldn't get a short shift kit as I feel that the long throw is part of it's 80's character and part of what makes it so charming..... I am also a sucker for originality (I have been getting stick from other members here for leaving my smog pump on even though I could get a possible 10hp extra.....)

Whatever you decide on this or any other modification, it has to suit you.... all these different ideas and opinions are really what make the world go round....

short shift can be bad for the gearbox anyway.

seine or wevo gateshift though.. a must have

+1      I installed the Seine modification  

Eliminates the worry of that expensive downshift

Davida

If you get the original 915 linkage and bushes set right then they are fine for road use. Theres lots of crap spread around by the dadtardly muttering rotters, based on their testing of knackered old 915's in old 911's. Engine mounts also make a difference so get those right too when setting up the car.

If you're competing then a WEVO will minimise the risk of grabbing the wrong gear on a shift up or down, and thats why we use them, but I cant stress enough how good a standard 915 can be if you get the shifting mechanism back to standard spec.

Lots of money is often spent chasing the problem, without looking at the obvious.

Rgds

Davida

If you get the original 915 linkage and bushes set right then they are fine for road use. Theres lots of crap spread around by the dadtardly muttering rotters, based on their testing of knackered old 915's in old 911's. Engine mounts also make a difference so get those right too when setting up the car.

If you're competing then a WEVO will minimise the risk of grabbing the wrong gear on a shift up or down, and thats why we use them, but I cant stress enough how good a standard 915 can be if you get the shifting mechanism back to standard spec.

Lots of money is often spent chasing the problem, without looking at the obvious.

Rgds

+1

I recently replaced the bushing kit, engine mounts and had the linkage/shifter adjusted and the difference was amazing. Never expected the difference to be that much, one of the smallest mods I have made and was amazed at the result.

+1

I recently replaced the bushing kit, engine mounts and had the linkage/shifter adjusted and the difference was amazing. Never expected the difference to be that much, one of the smallest mods I have made and was amazed at the result.

+2

I did this after six months of owning the car and for $150 worth of parts and a few hours work the improvement in the gear shifting and drivability was fantastic.  

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see the add for the 84 Aussie carrera come up over the weekend, looked like it was being sold out of RSR garage... Apparently it's been sold as showing on my carsales watch list.. Anyone know anything more about this car ..

Archived