Why the 911 3.2 Carrera Coupe Drought?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've stopped trying to work out the market and accept that there are forces at work which defy rational explanation.

Soon enough we'll see guys doing a straight swap between a Phase-3 GT and a 3.2!!!

I've stopped trying to work out the market and accept that there are forces at work which defy rational explanation.

Soon enough we'll see guys doing a straight swap between a Phase-3 GT and a 3.2!!!

Or a split window Combi

x2

anyone want to buy a white 1978 SC at these current market prices? it's like the one that just sold, only no sunroof and has a 3.6

just kidding.. i'll never sell it

Nice didn't know you had a 3.6L under there.

I have a mate with an XYGT (not a PH3) who removes the distributor when its in the shed, as he feels it's a desirable theft target. 

I hope we dont get to that with our 3.2's, I have never been concerned about it being stolen from home, maybe I should.

Humans are not always rational...therefore markets are not always rational.

Whoever bought their P-Car on a purely rational basis...not me :(

to me the price really is irrelevant, i dont plan on ever selling.. but i do get a warm fuzzy feeling inside to know my old 911 is becoming more and more desireable.. i wonder what it will be worth in 30 years when i'm due to retire

to me the price really is irrelevant, i dont plan on ever selling.. but i do get a warm fuzzy feeling inside to know my old 911 is becoming more and more desireable.. i wonder what it will be worth in 30 years when i'm due to retire

Probably bugger all.

Who wants a 30's car these days unless it is a rare Delahaye or Bugatti,.

Word.

Yeah I know an old guy who spent the last five or ten years restoring an old Packard. He recreated the coach work, reupholstered, repainted, refurbished. The thing is beautiful and represents 10s of thousands of hours work.

Who is going to want it after he pops his clogs? While a driver now, it's probably destined for a museum where it will sit in a dusty corner, being neither particularly special or particularly drivable. If it was my dads, I'd auction it and put the proceeds towards a car I would want to drive.

The danger classic car enthusiasts really face is the general public getting it in their heads to ban use of classic cars on public roads. If you think that couldn't happen you haven't been paying attention to lots of things.

My $0.02 worth.....

These classic 911's will ALWAYS be sought after and increase in value.... they are one of the hottest looking cars still on the road today and even after 40 years, peoples mouths still drop open when they see one...

Pure supply and demand principles apply here..... not many made, not many good ones left, in 30 years even less wil exist due to unforseen circumstances... this will apply to any classic 911, not just the 3.2's...

All of that = no cars availiable but many people wanting one = I want heaps of money to give mine up = price increase for old 911's

Judging by the recent sales lately, I'm glad I got in before I had to sell my house to be able to afford one.....

To be honest, and I don't want to sound like Im complaining, however I am really getting tired of obsession we have in Australia with the values of these cars. It seems like it's the only important and relevant topic at the moment. I am noticing it here and on TYP 901. 

Obviously, the price rises etc has an effect on everyone that is selling or buying, it just seems as if its the only thing that's going on atm (along with Magnus Walker and Sydney property prices).

Yes, these cars have and will increase and yes good cars will always bring top money and become harder to find. This has always been the case though.

Rant over, enjoy these cars without thinking of the $$

Hey mph911,

I, like probably most of the users on here, couldn't  give 2 hoots about the dollar value of our cars.....

The actual value of them is secondary to the excitement and honour of owning one... If this wasn't  the case, the reverse would be true.... There would be an oversupply as everyone would be selling...

I think the dollar discussion always comes up in threads like this as a discussion point in relation to the supply / under supply of early air cooled 911's

As long as people keep asking the question, the answer is always going to bring the same responses..... supply, demand and values...

This.

But it is a problem. I wanted a classic car that I could spanner on, enjoy and make my own (read: possibly modify).  But the more valuable it becomes, the more restricted I feel for fear of 'hurting that value'.

There's a lot to be said for a modest car for which parts are cheap and there's little chance of anoraks and speculators huffing-and-puffing about value and originality.

The missus wants a classic mini - looking forward to getting one of those to mess about on.  That's all I'll be able to do, because I won't be able to fit in the thing! haha

To be honest, and I don't want to sound like Im complaining, however I am really getting tired of obsession we have in Australia with the values of these cars. It seems like it's the only important and relevant topic at the moment. I am noticing it here and on TYP 901. 

Obviously, the price rises etc has an effect on everyone that is selling or buying, it just seems as if its the only thing that's going on atm (along with Magnus Walker and Sydney property prices).

Yes, these cars have and will increase and yes good cars will always bring top money and become harder to find. This has always been the case though.

Rant over, enjoy these cars without thinking of the $$

and if you don`t use them because they are too precious, aren`t you going too feel a right pratt if the value drops back down.

As a general rule , people like that don't have any insight into their general prattishness.

I've been following this thread with interest and as noted above surprised to see how quickly the conversation turned around.

I don't think it should come as a surprise that a forum (or hobby for that matter) made up of passionate owners and enthusiasts find discussing values interesting? This is only one of many threads on PFA that more or less revolve around the subject of values, the market place topics being the most commented and viewed subjects - I don't believe it's just here in Aus either.

Call me what you want, I'll admit I like talking Porsches almost just as much as I like driving them - IMO that's what makes the Porsche community so rich and desirable (and for me so enjoyable).

Archived