The Benz Appreciation Thread

my benz mechanic used to be able to change them with the engine in place....

I've got some new lower side chrome strips for a W116 SEL if anyone is looking for them too (from once upon a time when I owned one)

The timing chains rarely give issues or need replacing, however the guides are not so fortunate! Common for the V8s to wear/ fail and destroy the engine..... first thing to check/ replace when buying an older V8 Merc is the timing chain guides.....

A nice 500SEL from a blue chip suburb was on Tassy gumtree on the weekend for $2250 ono...

Ridiculously cheap.

That one looks to be gone, but how about the one that replaced it, the w140, a low km one for $3.5k!! https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bunbury/cars-vans-utes/mercedes-s-500/1154348409

A technological tour de force, highly complex and may be reflected in the price. Ad states "in great condition"... for such a low $ I doubt it!

The timing chains rarely give issues or need replacing, however the guides are not so fortunate! Common for the V8s to wear/ fail and destroy the engine..... first thing to check/ replace when buying an older V8 Merc is the timing chain guides.....

When I did the head gasket in that White W108 the top guide was worn but the available replacements are of much lower quality and will need interim checks. It's a well know issue , not sure why Benz don't make higher quality ones now.

And Russ , holding the timing isn't that hard - but feeding in a new chain connected to the old one takes patience and care! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just spent the past 8 or so days driving around NSW in a new GLE 250 d. A nice car and interesting to compare it to my W164 ML 350.

Overall it is an improvement but not enough to tempt me into one yet..... It had it's down sides, mainly the engine and only reinforces my dislike of diesels! It was fine around town with a good amount of low end torque to get it moving quickly, however out on the road it's overall lack of power was evident! Highway speeds overtaking/ accelerating is lacking, then again it is only a small diesel. The engine noise at all engine speeds/ throttle openings is just dreadful!! :Evil:

I could never have such an engine in any car I have.

The interior was no real improvement on my car with the seats less supportive and maybe a little less padding too. The styling I can live with although again not an improvement. The sports suspension setting and handling overall is an improvement (I would like this on mine!) and the full manual mode was a welcome addition.

Overall not a huge step (especially being a diesel) but may "upgrade" to a petrol one in the future :) It was even the same colour!

740.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

bad.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

Edited by ANF

Agree ANF, the 250 as an all rounder in a big SUV like the GLE is gutless. I had the 350 petrol W166 and it was a dream on both a long or short hall. AMG option of the seat package with bolster adjustment makes a big difference on the longer hall comfort.

SWLTDF is looking to replace her Q3 and we took the GLC250 for a spin last weekend. Whilst 2.0 4 Cyl turbo petrol, it was a little slower than she liked for a mid size SUV, so we had a spin in the GLC43, now that’s performance ?. Order goes in next week, so pretty happy to have a star back in the garage, and a mighty quick one at that.

SWLTDF is looking to replace her Q3 and we took the GLC250 for a spin last weekend. Whilst 2.0 4 Cyl turbo petrol, it was a little slower than she liked for a mid size SUV, so we had a spin in the GLC43, now that’s performance ?. Order goes in next week, so pretty happy to have a star back in the garage, and a mighty quick one at that.

Your lady must be a revhead! Mine is perfectly content with our 250 GLC and personally I don't find it lacking for power, esp in sports mode . Mind you , we don't have B doubles to overtake down here. Thought about the 43 but couldn't justify the extra $ given who would be driving most of the time!

Agree ANF, the 250 as an all rounder in a big SUV like the GLE is gutless. I had the 350 petrol W166 and it was a dream on both a long or short hall. AMG option of the seat package with bolster adjustment makes a big difference on the longer hall comfort.

If you look on carsales there are a lot of GLE 250 Ds for sale.... the big SUV needs a bigish engine.... W166 350 could be the replacement or a Cayenne, if I stay with a SUV.....

GLC 43 now that would be fun! I think i prefer the GLC over the Macan.....

pure rev head :wub:

If you look on carsales there are a lot of GLE 250 Ds for sale.... the big SUV needs a bigish engine.... W166 350 could be the replacement or a Cayenne, if I stay with a SUV.....

GLC 43 now that would be fun! I think i prefer the GLC over the Macan.....

She wanted the macan but after driving the MB she enjoyed the slightly more refined drive, as the Macan is a little more sporty and raw in its driving style. The 43 is well appointed for the price vs a optioning a similar spec macan, options pricing was getting ridiculous ?. Upside is we will now have both for different drives, downside I was hoping she would take the macan and I could get a 911 ?.

The GLC has a very stylish and ergonomically precise cockpit , the Macan is a bit dated and most of the buttons are on the console.

The ride in the base GLC is a little harsh compared to other soft roaders , but a soft pillow compared to the cars I drive.

Merc have hit a winning run with this model.

The GLC has a very stylish and ergonomically precise cockpit , the Macan is a bit dated and most of the buttons are on the console.

We looked at the Macan for my wife and I had a loaner from PCM. The crazy number of buttons in the centre console is the primary reason she doesn't want one. I have to admit its crazy busy and looks a little stupid but the quality is fantastic as is the performance. She has had 4 x VWs and loves the interface/continuity between cars.

Might look at the GLC, certainly the interior seems to be a little more streamlined

Looks like every other ute , not surprising as it really is an expensive Nissan. A late-to-the-party dress failure,  but will sell in upper Boganville!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/tested-the-mercedesbenz-of-utes-the-new-xclass/news-story/8c00e9f9c0d1b05b5452b59f8d7c9685

Looks like every other ute , not surprising as it really is an expensive Nissan. A late-to-the-party dress failure,  but will sell in upper Boganville!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/tested-the-mercedesbenz-of-utes-the-new-xclass/news-story/8c00e9f9c0d1b05b5452b59f8d7c9685

It may be heavily modified by Mercedes but it aint one and never will be!!

Surely they could have taken a GLE or GLS and modded it a bit.... they clearly have the brains to do it! Sounds a bit crap that they used the Nissan to get to the market sooner, what has happened to Mercedes!!??

It may be heavily modified by Mercedes but it aint one and never will be!!

Surely they could have taken a GLE or GLS and modded it a bit.... they clearly have the brains to do it! Sounds a bit crap that they used the Nissan to get to the market sooner, what has happened to Mercedes!!??

Prostitute your badge for market share? I'm sure that's never been done before!