996 GT3 Purchase

The 996 GT3 (and all other GT street legal cars) does not come with an entire racing full roll cage (must be typo on carsales). It does not affect entering and getting out the car :)

the 996 clubsport was fitted with half rear from factory and the front half was given to the owner out of the car. There is a page in the owners manual stating its not designed for use on public roads (nice piece put together by Porsche lawyers) but they did come with a full cage that was to FIA standards at the time the car was released.

I`m pretty sure ( in Vic Anyway) that front cages are now illegal on the road,and if you are not wearing a helmet you would be wise to not run one.

Front cage is illegal in pretty much all states and territories AFAIK. That being said, I went through an RBT in my lotus exige once which had a massive roll cage and the cop didnt say a word. If you tried that in your Nissan Silvia drifter on the other hand, the yellow would be slapped on without hesitation. I think when they police see expensive cars like Porsches etc they dont second guess. Also the cage in the GT3 is very tight with the roof line and not really close to your head space at all, especially if you have the fixed back buckets fitted.

Edited by spiller

Front cage is illegal in pretty much all states and territories AFAIK. That being said, I went through an RBT in my lotus exige once which had a massive roll cage and the cop didnt say a word. If you tried that in your Nissan Silvia drifter on the other hand, the yellow would be slapped on without hesitation. I think when they police see expensive cars like Porsches etc they dont second guess. Also the cage in the GT3 is very tight with the roof line and not really close to your head space at all, especially if you have the fixed back buckets fitted.

The only two I have driven  with a front cage were a 73 911 and GT40 rep, and you wouldn`t want to be in either if someone ran into you, or visa versa without a helmet in those two. ADR crash tests would be done sans cage so probably a bit hard for the governing bodies to not blanket ban them all as anybody with a welder could potentially put a cage in anything.

The only two I have driven  with a front cage were a 73 911 and GT40 rep, and you wouldn`t want to be in either if someone ran into you, or visa versa without a helmet in those two. ADR crash tests would be done sans cage so probably a bit hard for the governing bodies to not blanket ban them all as anybody with a welder could potentially put a cage in anything.

yep it makes perfect sense as to why they have banned them all together. The fact that Porsche used to give the customer the front cage whereas no days you have to order it specially probably says something about the way the world is going with regards to safety, but also litigation.

TBH I think its the kms that also are putting people off. Whilst not that high they are higher than most of the previous cars on the market (seem to be around the 30-60k mark). 

Wheels and decals are easy to revert, but agree it does make people nervous (thoughts towards boy racer owner etc.) 

What's more of interest is that the car was originally offered at 120k from memory, then boosted to 150, then came back online at 130k and now back again at 110k. Finance fallen through again or something else? 

Hmmmmm............(Being in WA doesn't help either)

Sold again? $109K

Upgraded to....?

A couple other GT cars... :ph34r:

Complete off topic here - but yes I did;  Still miss it, but now looking for a P-Car replacement

No kidding, such a small world! I ended up getting one myself after decided to give yours a miss - an 08 in Black! Still have it along with a couple others cars!

P-cars are plenty good! What are you looking for to replace her with?

• 2 weeks later...