996 GT3 Purchase

@spiller is my priest and all he speaks is gospel of the 996 cup. As Tina T said- it’s simply the best. Flappy paddlers and auto blippers are missing out. 

49 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Great cars those

i know them both

A guide to the Porsche 911 GT3 _  (Just the good stuff e.g. 996 GT3 Mk1) _ thanks to 911UK.Com 

Since it was first launched in 1999, the 911 GT3 has become a highly visible – and audible – symbol of how Porsche motorsport technology feeds into the company’s legendary sportscar.

GT3.jpg

Few cars have gained the iconic status and enduring popularity as the Porsche 911. Since 1963, it’s been synonymous with outstanding engineering, timeless yet evolutionary design and pure driving pleasure. A true game changer.

But within this classification there are game changing variants themselves – and none more so than the 911 GT3. Ever since its debut in 1999, the 911 GT3 has harnessed the expertise gleaned from Porsche’s significant motorsport heritage to help push the boundaries of what can be done with a road-going sportscar. It’s set benchmark after benchmark – with each update a showcase for cutting edge sportscar technology. Others have tried to replicate its unique blend of revolutionary sportscar design and race bred power. But there is only one 911 GT3 – and this is its story.

1711828913303.png
The first GT3 was based on the type 996 Porsche 911 and was launched in 1999

What was the first ever Porsche 911 GT3?

For many years, the Porsche sportscars that best represented the synergy between the brand’s production and racing cars were its RS models – cars like the inimitable 911 Carrera RS 2.7, for example. But in 1999, the line between the two categories became further blurred with the launch of the 911 GT3, based on the type 996 generation of the legendary road-going sportscar. This was a brand-new idea for Porsche and its customers – a track-focused, road-legal 911 that was directly based on the 911 GT3 Cup racing car, using the expertise of Porsche Motorsport. Just a year previously, the GT3 Cup car that it was based on was driven in the Porsche Supercup season that had supported Formula 1 events. Now, the essence of that hugely successful race car was available to buy and drive on the road.

The 911 GT3 (type 996) kept the racecar’s celebrated ‘Mezger’ 3.6-litre, naturally aspirated engine. With its roots in the 1998 Le Mans-winning 911 GT1 car, this engine was the throbbing heart of the 911 GT3. Innovative, racecar-bred technology helped keep the weight of the GT3 down and also helped cool it – vital for cars with such huge reserves of power on tap. Further game changing sportscar tech, like the installation of a racing clutch, provided virtually instant response for GT3 drivers. Other features included lowered suspension that was set up in a way that full race tyres could be fitted if desired. There was also an adjustable rear wing that allowed enthusiastic owners to adjust the amount of downforce over the rear axle. The design of the rear wing for each generation of GT3 has been a source of fascination for fans and customers ever since.

The term “race car for the road” has become something of a cliché, but it was never more appropriate than in this first-ever 911 GT3. Driving enthusiasts had access to a sportscar that was inexorably linked to the car that competed in motorsport and the 911 GT3 became an instant hit. So much so that the initial run of 1,350 units had to be extended to 1,868 to cope with the demand.

Appreciate the mention of the Super Cup being the genesis… this is true, and they’re an interesting thing! 

in spite of shit headlights, and shit interiors… I took my best pal out for a Sunday afternoon blast, I didn’t want to come home, so we didn’t… we kept driving until the sunset, ideal 👌🏼 

IMG_1860.thumb.jpeg.72cfafd7cdace7e1389b8ec05e1ae1be.jpeg

His favourite thing! 

IMG_1862.thumb.jpeg.aa60738d576970cb821b93f89fd1098b.jpeg

put em away nice & filthy 😃

IMG_1864.thumb.jpeg.e8b6abd2d49033980bbd9ef2deaadbd4.jpeg

22 minutes ago, edgy said:

Appreciate the mention of the Super Cup being the genesis… this is true, and they’re an interesting thing! 

in spite of shit headlights, and shit interiors… I took my best pal out for a Sunday afternoon blast, I didn’t want to come home, so we didn’t… we kept driving until the sunset, ideal 👌🏼 

His favourite thing! 

Dream car right there. 

I actually bought one today, unfortunately I can't fit inside. 

One day.. 

20240414_183844.jpg

On 14/04/2024 at 21:26, edgy said:

His favourite thing! 

Even if you're not a fan of 996 GT3's, everyone's a fan of an RS. 

2 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Does anyone have a spare exhaust/headers/cats / anything similar for a 996.2 gt3 laying about?  I am looking at the fabspeed but US shipping may be a killer.

Combine that wirh the dollar. I've been holding put for US parts, but it's not getting any better. 

3 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Does anyone have a spare exhaust/headers/cats / anything similar for a 996.2 gt3 laying about?  I am looking at the fabspeed but US shipping may be a killer.

I've got a set of M&M same as Fab Speed headers 

5 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Geez look at this guy go! Call yourself a tuner in no time!

Next it’ll be wheels and tyres, steering wheel, tinted tail lights front and rear, pioneer head unit the list goes on.
Who would have thought going from a Cayman to a 996 would be so much fun!

Good work Magnus!