996 GT3 Purchase

He sounds confident in the product he's selling, nothing wrong with that! It's a good thing! If he thinks he's PCWA status and the cars supply/demand situation  means he doesn't need to satisfy potential buyers... He's very wrong.

If it's what you want and it was all it's cracked up to be, make a deal and offer to lay down a serious deposit subject to PPI... Hopefully you will both be comfortable with that! 

Being under Porsche warranty doesn't gaurantee you a clean bill of accident history but certainly gives you some confidence in its mechanical history as pretty much it would have had to be in the Porsche service program from day one to now!

the axle lift in not sure on the cost of retrofit for OE.. KW has one too! Few grand is about the number.... You best research it though, get on rennlist. 

Good luck with it and let us know if there's anything else we can help with! It's a nice one and I hope you can work a deal out. ?

He sounds confident in the product he's selling, nothing wrong with that! It's a good thing! If he thinks he's PCWA status and the cars supply/demand situation  means he doesn't need to satisfy potential buyers... He's very wrong.

If it's what you want and it was all it's cracked up to be, make a deal and offer to lay down a serious deposit subject to PPI... Hopefully you will both be comfortable with that! 

Being under Porsche warranty doesn't gaurantee you a clean bill of accident history but certainly gives you some confidence in its mechanical history as pretty much it would have had to be in the Porsche service program from day one to now!

the axle lift in not sure on the cost of retrofit for OE.. KW has one too! Few grand is about the number.... You best research it though, get on rennlist. 

Good luck with it and let us know if there's anything else we can help with! It's a nice one and I hope you can work a deal out. ?

Thanks , as a matter of interest how much higher does the kit make the car ??

Worth contacting Porsche Centre to verify the mechanical history + I'd like to think you should be able to qualify the owner given his club involvement. 

Any WA porsche club members on here that can vouch for the car? 

Might be worth contacting RJP or KTEC to see if they can assist, it's a small community so I'm sure they'll know the car (especially if it's been in an accident). 

Thanks , as a matter of interest how much higher does the kit make the car ??

not sure of the measurement as there is various systems available, but I've seen the OE 991 lift in action and its "plenty", it allows the car to approach where my one couldn't go without crab walking! 

Its much cheaper to crab walk everywhere and buy new splitters! Just make sure you smile at the bystanders as you proceed to scrape the front end on the ground  ?  

Serious note:

i would call the Porsche centre as suggested and hopefully you can get a PPI done as well.... If the Porsche centre can share the service history with you that's a bonus! 

Im chasing the dealers Chellingworths and asking them if under a PPI and warranty they want to guarantee it has had no accidents… they all also seem shy to talk about Overrev readouts..

I have told them I would pay for  PPI but they need to be serious and warrant their words..t some level 

Closer but no cigar YET!

Of course the owner tells me there are collectors chasing for it… 

IF IT WERE THAT SIMPLE I would just buy the thing , I just cant bring myself to press the red button on go without info..or an inspection ..

I never thought 150+K would just be considered pocket change

Im chasing the dealers Chellingworths and asking them if under a PPI and warranty they want to guarantee it has had no accidents… they all also seem shy to talk about Overrev readouts..

I have told them I would pay for  PPI but they need to be serious and warrant their words..t some level 

Closer but no cigar YET!

Of course the owner tells me there are collectors chasing for it… 

IF IT WERE THAT SIMPLE I would just buy the thing , I just cant bring myself to press the red button on go without info..or an inspection ..

I never thought 150+K would just be considered pocket change

What he said ^^ :lol: I realise you're away... but I'm sure someone might volunteer for you! 

Think of it this way, its all too easy to press the red button and own it... but IF for some reason there is a "story" to go with it.... it will not be as easy to get rid of in the future. 

There's nothing wrong with doing due diligence prior to buying one of these things! Actually you're a fool if you don't... if you miss out there will be another... but my gut tells me its a good one. 

What's worth more Touring Spec or Club sport? Id say that they haven't had the interest they expected so, price drop, just wondering if the Club Sport is what people want in a GT3???? I initially wanted a GT3 in touring spec rather than CS to make it a more street friendly car but the few I've seen stick on the market have been the touring version that said they do still sell.  

GT3's seem to be a bit stickie at these new price points? Not quite flying out the door (bugger - with the housing bubble slowing I needed something else to watch going up daily.........)

Could say the same for some of the AC cars on the market too.

I would prefer that red GT3 with some black wheels.  MMmmmm.

2290415761_f6f52761e0_z.jpg?zz=1

What's worth more Touring Spec or Club sport? Id say that they haven't had the interest they expected so, price drop, just wondering if the Club Sport is what people want in a GT3???? I initially wanted a GT3 in touring spec rather than CS to make it a more street friendly car but the few I've seen stick on the market have been the touring version that said they do still sell.  

A club sport easily demands 10%+ more than a touring spec car.

A club sport easily demands 10%+ more than a touring spec car.

It’s odd how people now quote GT3 & GT3 Club sport as though they are two different models?, when released there was only a GT3 or GT3 with no cost Club sport (trim) option. (source MK1 996 GT3 sales broches & driver manual), noting same motor, same gearbox, same suspension only mechanical change @ Mk 1 is single Vs dual mass clutch which is a consumable item easy changed if required.

My understanding, Touring/Comfort were models in the 993 GT range not 996.

That said, Recaro seats & Tequipment cage,  Schroth belts make the GT experience.

Edited by Windsor289

It’s odd how people now quote GT3 & GT3 Club sport as though they are two different models?, when released there was only a GT3 or GT3 with no cost Club sport (trim) option. (source MK1 996 GT3 sales broches & driver manual), noting same motor, same gearbox, same suspension only mechanical change @ Mk 1 is single Vs dual mass clutch which is a consumable item easy changed if required.

My understanding, Touring/Comfort were models in the 993 GT range not 996.

I want your car. bad. :D

I am starting to think syndicated Cup Car ownership would be a good way to enjoy tracking a GT3.. I realise running a Cup on R compounds in club events isn't using it to its full potential but they are expensive to be competitive in! AND I'm not looking to compete, just have fun... :) It will still be slightly faster than a GT3 Street car! Not to mention at a third of the price. 

FoessellNo1_615.jpg

http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/pc_main.nsf/web/305B0D27EB3E1DCDC1257DF7007D4B15#pagetop 

Maintenance will be the killer surely.

Ok, 

Everyone says this ^^, but if you are not keeping a competitive car (i.e. not doing periodic motor rebuilds, transmission etc) what maintenance items are different to club racing a GT3 street car? 

Same transmission (with steel syncros) and still H pattern, same motor ( a few internal parts can differ throughout the years), same body as street car

Major differences that I am aware of: 

• Different suspension
  • Tilton multi-disc clutch 
  • Air jacks
  • Centre Lock 
  • Full weld in cage

They say most guys racing do motor rebuilds at about 80 hours, not uncommon to see them go beyond 100+ hours and still run strong. 

So if we are doing club racing hours in a GT3 street its going to be subject to a similar maintenance programs surely? 

I can definitely see how running a competition car on slicks would get hideously expensive... :ph34r:

Edited by edgy

I remember reading on RL about some guys getting over 200 hours on them but don't quote me on that. Even at 100 hours though, that is 100 porsche club super sprints for me which is 16 ears between rebuilds if you did 6 track days per year. Best case scenario for sure but puts it all into perspective.

Edited by spiller