996 GT3 Purchase

I assume we are talking 996... Colour/Spec/Condition/Km's ? 

I really think double digit reduction is optimistic....  warranty etc is all out the window. HK cars are usually very well cared for. 

Yes, 996, MK1 CS, white low km's (30ish) + in tip top nick. I don't know if its available yet but thought I'd ask the question...............

If a minter was in the 110-120k range I'd expect it to be sub 100k or is that unreasonable? 

Edited by hugh

Yes, 996, MK1 CS, white low km's (30ish) + in tip top nick. I don't know if its available yet but thought I'd ask the question...............

If a minter was in the 110-120k range I'd expect it to be sub 100k or is that unreasonable? 

I don't think there is any premium or reduction for 6.1 or 6.2 in the current market... and knowing what good cars have changed hands for lately, I think sub 100 is optimistic.

IMO early 100's for it, as high as the $110k~ range.... If you can buy in the 90's you've done well... really well. 

Don't forget that 6.1 in RHD is the rarest of them all... Aussie delivery whilst important, is not going to have much weight on value long term.

There is only 308 RHD 6.1's in ALL variation.  

What has happened to all the GT3's on Carsales? There are none (that are road legal). Has the 996/997 GT3 stock disappeared, or am I not searching correctly?

You are correct - 996 & 997 GT3's are apparently sold out! 

Wow I can't believe how these cars have gone in such a short period of time. It wasn't that long back checking out the Gt3's for sale was so good, to watch all the cars around and hoping to finally secure a car of my own one day. To now not seeing A car for sale, it's not often I'm lucky, but on this occasion  I feel like I just scraped in. After a few short months of ownership I can't believe I waited so long but that being said I'd also never driven one to know any better. 

Current issue of EVO landed today.  Editor Nick Trott has been looking far and wide for a 996 GT3 (including O/S market) and drew a blank.  He has now purchased a silver 996 GT2 instead.  I must email him my support for his decision!

happy to see he paid A$190k for it too.

Edited by DJM

I done some reading in the last week on this subject.... the grapevine says lots of GT3's headed over to the UK from our shores, that is supporting of the info ^^ 

It is rather annoying to hear, but bound to happen when that UK market has been so hot for so long and they've been undervalued here. 

Start buying well priced Turbos maybe?

Its not a bad thing for those that have one, will only increase the demand on the available local stock. No so good obviously for those that don't..............

Yes & No Hugh... It's going to get to the point that replacing one will become a near impossible task... which will urge owners to take it easy. Those last three words are usually not associated with GT3 ownership... :ph34r: 

I'm both impressed and disgusted with the 911 market at the moment, not sure which way I'm leaning most? probably the later..... 

Friend of mine back in the UK put his GT3 into storage earlier this year, doesn't plan on taking it out for a couple of years because of the rate they're increasing in value. He's gone from driving it to storing it. Turned his 993 into an RS rep over the winter and took it on a massive blat round Europe a few weeks ago to make sure it worked properly, the lucky bugger.

Couple that with another chap I used to do track days with who announced he'd ordered a Singer 911 at Goodwood (to add to his CGT and daily drive Turbo, while waiting for his GT3RS to be delivered) my envy levels have risen a bit of late. Can't even find the damn things over here !!

Yes & No Hugh... It's going to get to the point that replacing one will become a near impossible task... which will urge owners to take it easy.

this thought entered my head for the first time recently,  seeing a few GT2s internationally exceeding A$200k and yesterday discovered Nick Trott from EVO added one to the fleet at A$190k makes me think blasting through reefton spur and track days is probably not the wisest use of what is becoming a very rare and increasingly expensive car.  Ditto adding lots of kms.  But I'm the last person to want a garage queen, it just so happens that's how the market is moving.  For now, it was bought to drive and that's what I'll keep doing.  

Upside is, if the trend continues and I need to park it up, I can convince the wife I no longer have a car to enjoy and need to buy another......now, where is that thread about what you'd have if you couldn't have a Porsche.

Upside is, if the trend continues and I need to park it up, I can convince the wife I no longer have a car to enjoy and need to buy another......now, where is that thread about what you'd have if you couldn't have a Porsche.

You read my mind......:ph34r:

I believe there is a happy medium between owning a valuable car but still being able to enjoy it and use as intended. Lets face it, nobody wants to crash or damage their car regardless of value or desirability. 

Understandably the paranoia can set in but you need to keep it in perspective - they are worth nothing if they cant be enjoyed IMO. 

Enjoy them while you can, the last thing we want to do become is a typical (insert Italian car brand that rhymes with wahwari) owner where they become more of an ornament than an regularly entertained experience.

Find an excuse, any excuse will do. 

Most importantly GT3 owners have to follow their 10 commandments.......

1. You shall have no other gods before Porsche.
  2. You shall not park it up to idolise.
  3. You shall not take the name of Andreas Preuninger your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Le Mans 24 hr day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor thy original owner, for your GT3 may not exist without him
  6. You shall not worry about its value.
  7. You shall not commit concourse.
  8. You shall not neglect it.
  9. You shall exercise the tachometer regularly.
  10. You shall continue to scrape the front splitter everywhere you go.
Edited by edgy

Reading this thread and others online has not helped me enjoy driving my car more! As it is I try to keep the boring commuter type kms to a bare minimum, hence have considered a car trailer for any future track days etc. Since these threads came about I find myself not driving the car much at all, once every few weeks at best. My odo reads 45,973 kms, The devil on my shoulder keeps telling me "must keep it below 50K". 

When i bought this car 6 months ago I figured GT3 owners would have to consider this predicament for at least 5 or 10 years! I couldnt agree more that they should be treated the way Porsche intended when they designed them though.

Edited by spiller

Reading this thread and others online has not helped me enjoy driving my car more! As it is I try to keep the boring commuter type kms to a bare minimum, hence have considered a car trailer for any future track days etc. Since these threads came about I find myself not driving the car much at all, once every few weeks at best. My odo reads 45,973 kms, The devil on my shoulder keeps telling me "must keep it below 50K". 

When i bought this car 6 months ago I figured GT3 owners would have to consider this predicament for at least 5 or 10 years! I couldnt agree more that they should be treated the way Porsche intended when they designed them though.

You need to make a decision in life. Have you purchased the car for you or the next guy?

If it's you, be happy to put the KM's on and enjoy the experence as much as you can. You only live once and I'm not too sure whether you will meet Peter at the Pearly Gates and say "damn - I wish to put fewer K's on that car and drove it less, I wish I never redlined it, and kept it under 5K"

If you are more concerned about the next owner and getting another $20K for your car - well good for you and I can understand :-)

P.s - I can only hope you didn't take this approach too with ex-girl friends............

I hope you take this in good humor?

Just drive it and count yourself lucky to own and experience one........

11539189_10153411608483024_5665388758561473506_o.jpg

Edited by kiwi911

Drive it as much as as you can. 

Its a car, made for driving. 

My house might be going up in value. But I don't think I'd get much out of it by moving out and camping across the street and watching it go up in value.

Drive it

Lots

You need to make a decision in life. Have you purchased the car for you or the next guy?

If it's you, be happy to put the KM's on and enjoy the experence as much as you can. You only live once and I'm not too sure whether you will meet Peter at the Pearly Gates and say "damn - I wish to put fewer K's on that car and drove it less, I wish I never redlined it, and kept it under 5K"

If you are more concerned about the next owner and getting another $20K for your car - well good for you and I can understand :-)

P.s - I can only hope you didn't take this approach too with ex-girl friends............

I hope you take this in good humor?

Just drive it and count yourself lucky to own and experience one........

11539189_10153411608483024_5665388758561473506_o.jpg

haha no offence taken, when I drive it it gets driven properly but I admit I do not enjoy long drives in it at the speed limit and view that as a bit of a waste. When I get in it's usually through the hills or on the way to the track. Three track days and a hill climb in 6 months is more than I thought I'd do! Funnily enough I don't plan on selling the car at any stage in the foreseeable future as there is nothing that would come close to the experience for the coin, but it's in my nature to keep one eye on the market, which is probably a fault when it comes to enjoying your car in its entirety. I am moving up to the Adelaide Hills next month so hopefully there are more opportunities to exercise the tach needle in the future :)

slide_1G5Q2276_zpsnshbmkac.jpg

Edited by spiller