996 GT3 Purchase

There was previously an atlas Grey one in Sydney being sold by a dealer, am I correct in saying that you both think its the same car? If so I believe that car had previously been involved in accident - can anyone confirm? 

Only 4 Atlas grey 996.2 GT3's, I have seen all 4 change hands in the last 12 months. There has only been one with such high Km's and that livery! 

I am confident it is the ex Sydney car indeed. Not sure about the accident sorry... let us know if you know any more though.

Edited by edgy
Don't know why it quoted the wrong user?

It sounds like there was a fair bit of interest at 129k. So the price has jumped to 149k. We've seen the same thing happen with other cars.

If it's not sold yet (a few hours is now a long time in Porsche world) then I would say the market has spoken for a high km GT3 at 140-odd grand. It will be interesting to hear how close he gets to his new price.

well sh**t, that just made my monday morning. obviously his phone has been ringing off the hook. if that car sells, that is getting close to "sell my GT3 to think about GT4" territory.

Only one problem with that.

The GT4s are even rarer and will be a premium on their purchase price if anyone lists for sale. 

Say $220K for a GT4 new...............I reckon the first second-hand one will change hands for $260K.

The GT4s are even rarer and will be a premium on their purchase price if anyone lists for sale. 

Say $220K for a GT4 new...............I reckon the first second-hand one will change hands for $260K.

Whilst I realise the demand situation with the GT4... why would one pay over MSRP? Are we simply out of foreseeable Aussie build allocations? 

yes, there is that. I can't comment on this with any knowledge as I haven't spoken to Porsche regarding allocations but I would like to think you could get one, just might have to wait a while. I'm not sure Australia is at that level yet (paying large sums over MRSP), correct me if im wrong. 

Out of of curiosity how many GT4s are allocated to Aus? Originally approx 79 non RS 996.2 GT3s which some have since gone to UK, been crashed, turned into pseudo cup cars etc etc.

Edited by spiller

Whilst I realise the demand situation with the GT4... why would one pay over MSRP? Are we simply out of foreseeable Aussie build allocations? 

That's all folks! 

All over red rover! 

Hasta last vista baby! 

Only 30 allocated to Australia and all gone. No further allocation.

And did I mention how much of an unbelievable and understated car it was.  

So now that 6.1 and .2 GT3's are $150K cars - who's a seller??

Just out of interest, what is the more preferred version 6.1 or 6.2 in Aussie and which sells for the most?

Most of the cars on the open market in the last 12/24 months locally have been 6.2's, anywhere from 90-130k. This one @ 150 is up there in pricing especially considering the kms. Can't say what's preferred re MK1 or MK2 other than one that hasn't been bent. 

Not a seller at $150k, not at $200k... Can't think of a number that would temp me? To think a few months back I was having such a bad day I would have parted with it.... ? you hurt the ones you love the most they say! This ones a keeper.

Neither 6.1 or 6.2 has sold for a premium over each other that I've seen.... Now they're on the up, it will be interesting! I think the low RHD numbers (308 globally iirc) and the "built in weissach" might stimulate some higher premiums.... I haven't seen it yet though! 

Not a seller at $150k, not at $200k... Can't think of a number that would temp me? To think a few months back I was having such a bad day I would have parted with it.... ? you hurt the ones you love the most they say! This ones a keeper.

Neither 6.1 or 6.2 has sold for a premium over each other that I've seen.... Now they're on the up, it will be interesting! I think the low RHD numbers (308 globally iirc) and the "built in weissach" might stimulate some higher premiums.... I haven't seen it yet though! 

I tend to agree, I don't think any amount of $$ would tempt me into selling as at 150 or even 200K what are you going to get that will give you the same or similar experience? In that regard (and I hate to sound like I'm wearing rose coloured glasses) I doubt the GT4 could match that experience, even though it's surely a better car than the 996 in many, many ways.

the mk1 vs mk2 debate seems like a personal choice. Most (but not all) prefer the updated look, then there are the benefits of the mechanical updates (brakes, gearbox, engine). I guess we have to look to the euro market with this and from memory the 6.1s were fetching a slight premium?? Clubsport over comfort is also another debate but this doesn't seem to come into the equation in Aus going by recent sales. Both are about as rare as each other as far as 6.2s are concerned. There were far more clubsports than touring in the 6.1.

Edited by spiller

I agree, a GT3 is just not like any other 911, to me they are Pcar heroin...........

The problem is if you sell - what do you replace it with??

Possibly an RS replica hot rod of some description??

Absolutely agree guys...

I think that 6.1 debate will have more weight much later in the cars life, I've always maintained that! So I guess I am saying 6.1 might just be the better long term investment proposition for Aussie delivered owners! But GT3 and investment in the same sentence doesn't feel right... 8000rpm does! 

Re: GT4, lord knows I'd love one... But it is NOT a 911 GT car.... It IS the first non 911 GT, interesting for sure! 

The market has spoken................

honestly I'll stand by my comment that $129k is optimistic.... I just don't think we're there yet! AND I'm well aware of what cars have been changing hands for lately! 

He might have the market cornered but I think $110 is a high number for it.. not unrealistic though