996 GT3 Purchase

Not saying it IS this car, but i'm always suss on mk2 gt3s from WA as someone over there was building one by reshelling a damaged gt3's running gear  into a carrera.  Others here probably know more about that story...

If this is NOT that car, then it's cheap-ish/good-value for some other reason.

I know the one you're thinking of and this is not the car.. THAT Car you speak of I think was listed a while ago? The owner is on here

I know the one you're thinking of and this is not the car.. THAT Car you speak of I think was listed a while ago? The owner is on here

Thanks Edgy.  This would be worth checking out for anyone seriously in the GT3 market then.  If the red decals and wheels put you off it's easy enough to revert back.

TBH I think its the kms that also are putting people off. Whilst not that high they are higher than most of the previous cars on the market (seem to be around the 30-60k mark). 

Wheels and decals are easy to revert, but agree it does make people nervous (thoughts towards boy racer owner etc.) 

What's more of interest is that the car was originally offered at 120k from memory, then boosted to 150, then came back online at 130k and now back again at 110k. Finance fallen through again or something else? 

Hmmmmm............(Being in WA doesn't help either)

So maybe the market isn't as crazy as we first thought, still that would have been 80K at the start of the year so it's pretty remarkable still. Odd that it's come on and off twice in a month though. Could just be a trigger happy seller but it not doing him any favours.

Also just learnt that the red CTS car was owned by a friend of my dad's, fairly clean, honest car, had the usual track rash in the wheel arches as well as dark grey wheels when I looked at when it was forsale in Adelaide 18 months ago.

That is hot. What do people think about the roll cages, does this put people off or a selling point?

I would want a caged GT3.  I think that when it's got no back seats anyway it might as damn well have a cage in it.

It still blows my mind that you can get a road car from the factory with a genuine roll cage in it!

Due to industrial strength cup holders I can only imagine

Ah yes! Carrying 2 grande frappacinos with extra cream and caramel will slow you down!

I can just see the incar footage from a lap of phillip island with drinks flying everywhere.

Seems like the auto-generated text is always far from correct on Carsales :lol:

I have read that a regular 964 coupe with a properly designed half cage can bring the overall stiffness of that particular 964 to a 997 chassis stiffness - which is twice the overall stiffness than the car without the cage!

Pretty interesting considering some people don't opt for cages in GT3's! Adds more bling and safety too no? :wub:

I would want a caged GT3.  I think that when it's got no back seats anyway it might as damn well have a cage in it.

It still blows my mind that you can get a road car from the factory with a genuine roll cage in it!

^^^ the full cage in the 996 clubsport is not very intrusive, I really like it actually. I have a 997 clubsport cage that I'm planning on fitting but it's only the rear section. Even though I only do a handful of track days per year, I'd like to have the front section for piece of mind. Thus I have the dilemma of using the 997 half or shelling out for 996 full!! Then there is the issue of perception - some people see a car with a full cage and automatically assume race car. Can be a bit of a put off for some buyers I think. Not that I plan on selling soon but you never say never.

If someone out there has a front half of their clubsport cage sell it to me! Or if there is anyone who wants to buy a half cage let me know :D

Edited by spiller

But full cages are a pain to get in and out of with groceries. Half cages is the better option for the ordinary person.

The 996 GT3 (and all other GT street legal cars) does not come with an entire racing full roll cage (must be typo on carsales). It does not affect entering and getting out the car :)

The 996 GT3 (and all other GT street legal cars) does not come with an entire racing full roll cage (must be typo on carsales). It does not affect entering and getting out the car :)

You're correct doesn't mean people don't run around with them though.