996 GT3 Purchase

Can't beat that 8000rpm sound........

epic Rob, what did it run? (Edit saw the end ofthe video). Did you purchase your car from WA a few years back? Can't be too many black on black with PCB calipers. I almost hopped on a plane to purchase it back in 2012 but it sold. Good to see you're having fun with it.

Edited by spiller

epic Rob, what did it run? (Edit saw the end ofthe video). Did you purchase your car from WA a few years back? Can't be too many black on black with PCB calipers. I almost hopped on a plane to purchase it back in 2012 but it sold. Good to see you're having fun with it.

Hi Spiller, I ran 12.1@117mph, yes this car was sold in 2012 from WA, not many around with PCCB, I believe the original purchaser missed out on a RS so started to option up a GT3

I think a sensible track day is next on the cards....by sensible I mean surrounded by sensible people....which can be hard to find on some track days....

So with a few of you real owners out there .. let me ask the question.. real world owning and without starting a holy war 

If 996's are 110-140k and 997 are 150-190k  is the 997 well priced?

If you lived on shitty B roads as your route too and from your house would you have a GT3 as your drive?

Or am likely to need a weekly chiro maintenace program for my back or would that be out weighed by the jaw adjustments from smiling 

Also how low are these cars really …. or would I dare i say it if not tracking it that much raise the ride height a little?

Also what considered high milage in ownership and resale terms..

Opinions.. and I for one would love to see a GT3 thread and get some local ownership comments to read 

Di

So with a few of you real owners out there .. let me ask the question.. real world owning and without starting a holy war 

If you lived on shitty B roads as your route too and from your house would you have a GT3 as your drive?

Or am likely to need a weekly chiro maintenace program for my back or would that be out weighed by the jaw adjustments from smiling 

Also how low are these cars really …. or would I dare i say it if not tracking it that much raise the ride height a little?

Opinions.. and I for one would love to see a GT3 thread and get some local ownership comments to read 

Different Pcars do different things. I am the first to acknowledge that a 6.2 GT3 in semi track trim will likely kill you on a country B road driven at speed (say 150 kph) - you will hit a pot hole, or bottom out or tram-line on a bit of off camber road and be in a ditch before you know it. They are OK around town and on the motorway, but should generally only be driven to the track and back via your mechanic for a track day check over and mod's.........

I personally own a 993 C2 manual with RS ride height and PSS10's for wife and B road duty - a fantastic car for this, but is no answer to the sound of a GT3 at 8200 RPM. Also kids can't fit in past the scaffold in the back.

GT3's do 2 things well - the track and rev to 8200 RPM where air cooled stops at 6800 RPM.

They also have Mezger engine - which is sublime.............

And red seat belts (which I really, really like for some reason) - it's the little stuff..........

Edited by kiwi911

Once you've been on the track with your 996 GT3 you'll find driving it on the street frustrating. A weekend run is semi enjoyable but daily driving one is pointless IMHO. Not worth putting up with the impossible gearbox when cold, the rattles in the cabin and the discomfort over bumps etc without being able to enjoy driving it fast. I think 5 days to work and back would break most of the hardcores out there. Doable but pointless.

Mine with track rideheight/alignment and cup splitter on the front is stupid low. I can't turn right out of my street because there is a slight spoon drain that belts the front lip if I attempt. Having said all of this, I still love hopping in mine on the weekend, even if not going to the track. 

997 on the other hand...haven't driven one so can't comment but all of the "literature" suggests it does both things fairly well.

Edited by spiller

We need to Start a GT3 discussion forum..........(we can tell each other how fab our cars are and share dirty pic's)...........

I already have mate! :)  www.FlatSix.GT

Hi Spiller, I ran 12.1@117mph, yes this car was sold in 2012 from WA, not many around with PCCB, I believe the original purchaser missed out on a RS so started to option up a GT3

I think a sensible track day is next on the cards....by sensible I mean surrounded by sensible people....which can be hard to find on some track days....

I'm all in for a sensible track day mate! 

you best look for a 997 GT3 if your going to drive it daily, get one with PASM and front axle lift... Can't beat that! 

as for how low? Well... I poured my new concrete driveway to suit the car...... ?

GT3 is a momentum car, it's frustrating to drive in traffic mainly! I drive mine maybe twice a month? Every time is an occasion though, plenty of theatre driving these cars! 

Once you've been on the track with your 996 GT3 you'll find driving it on the street frustrating. A weekend run is semi enjoyable but daily driving one is pointless IMHO. Not worth putting up with the impossible gearbox when cold, the rattles in the cabin and the discomfort over bumps etc without being able to enjoy driving it fast. I think 5 days to work and back would break most of the hardcores out there. Doable but pointless.

Mine with track rideheight/alignment and cup splitter on the front is stupid low. I can't turn right out of my street because there is a slight spoon drain that belts the front lip if I attempt. Having said all of this, I still love hopping in mine on the weekend, even if not going to the track. 

997 on the other hand...haven't driven one so can't comment but all of the "literature" suggests it does both things fairly well.

you become immune to the sound of scraping splitters on the ground don't you? ? ... A few times I've had to pull over and go pick it back up off the road! And I agree it's a waste to drive daily.... Save it for drives that will be enjoyed! Refer above comments. :) 

bloody splitters!  I busted a chunk out of mine on first SMT.  PCB gave me a discount when I suggested I should buy 2.  One to fit immediately and one for the inevitable future damage.  Bloody thing scrapes up and down my driveway every time.  It is somewhat flexible but can snap if hit hard.

So you dont need to worry about tyres , brakes and services , just running costs in splitters by the sounds of things :)

Lovin the real ownership guide guys , now thats the review I was looking for 

in all seriousness re: servicing, my mechanic suggests that I do an oil change every 5000 kms or 12 months, which ever comes first. Probably do 3-4 track days per year which involve no more than 1 hour of actual track time max. I would say brake fluid flush annually too, gearbox oil probably the same?

not sure what others on here are doing?

Edited by spiller

Haha yep I dragged mine along the road taking it home from the previous owners house first time I drove it. I now keep spare plastic fasteners in the centre console in case it falls off on a drive...have dirtied my clothes lying on my stomach refastening it a few times now.

haha that's how you know you're a seasoned gt3 owner, you keep the plastic rivet fasteners in the glovebox

I reattached mine with well nuts though, much better. 

fetch?id=190&d=1427687984&type=full

fetch?id=186&d=1427687623&type=full

fetch?id=187&d=1427687747&type=full

fetch?id=193&d=1427688137&type=full

more here -> http://flatsix.gt/forum/general-discussion/readers-rides/175-my-arctic-silver-2004-996-mk2-gt3-touring 

I'd wait out and get the well nuts that have a rubber coating on the outside though! I couldn't seem to find them when doing mine.. you might have to order in from the USA? 

bloody splitters!  I busted a chunk out of mine on first SMT.  PCB gave me a discount when I suggested I should buy 2.  One to fit immediately and one for the inevitable future damage.  Bloody thing scrapes up and down my driveway every time.  It is somewhat flexible but can snap if hit hard.

I buy the cup car ones, they charge me $120 ea from PCSS... also Sarah in the parts dept will generally discount a further 10% on your whole order if you buying motorsport part numbers. ;) 

So you dont need to worry about tyres , brakes and services , just running costs in splitters by the sounds of things :)

Lovin the real ownership guide guys , now thats the review I was looking for 

Tyres and brakes are costly, brakes more so! About $3-4k in parts if going OEM. The front pads ARE very costly, they are a pagid made for the GT3... they cost about $900 alone.

But other than that..... they're are very hassle free, you've got to be unlucky to get the big 3 in one hit! Tyres/Brakes & Major service. 

That is beautiful! Perfect colour & Spec :)  Porsche approved too... so you'd assume its cherry?  I love the 7.1's maybe cos they are the last narrow body? (I love them all) 

in all seriousness re: servicing, my mechanic suggests that I do an oil change every 5000 kms or 12 months, which ever comes first. Probably do 3-4 track days per year which involve no more than 1 hour of actual track time max. I would say brake fluid flush annually too, gearbox oil probably the same?

not sure what others on here are doing?

I am just following the Porsche plan mate, which pretty much lines up with what you are doing anyway. I haven't been tracking so the brake fluid change at 24 month intervals is okay, I'd certainly move it to annual if tracking though! 

I average 5K a year too 

ScreenShot2015-01-09at24646PM_zpsb4a2b90

Edited by edgy

^^^^^ that table simplifies things perfectly doesn't it. Have saved in my phone. I like the idea of the well nuts too, is there any risk of cracking the bumper if you knock the splitter on something? Could be a good option if it's fully reversible.

The risk of the well nuts is if you really impact something hard to tear the splitter off they might pull through the holes and then your left with oversize holes, cracking is an issue poteinally of course. But I've had to actually reset mine since doing this initially. all ok at the moment.. ideally you'd capture the fitting from the back with a washer so it doesn't want to tear through the hole.. it will want to pull on the washer instead! I'm trying to think up a better solution for next time (if it comes) 

Someone was after track rims for their 996 gt3... was it you Spiller? 

http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/pc_main.nsf/web/CB69F38C74F54B22C1257E470023F12A#pagetop 

Yeah mate I actually thought about buying those a while back- they are off the sole forrest green 996 club sport that lived in QLD. Just not keen on 3 piece and have never heard of autoart for wheels so passed on them.

Aaaaand depot taken on the Atlas Grey car

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2004/SSE-AD-3551840/?Cr=1

I just rang Shannons and asked them up the policy value based on this sale. No questions asked. 

Edited by spiller

In some of the pics the doors and the front wings look a different shade of white.  Both sides.

Could be just the angle of the photos though.

Like that white though , are they common in that colour?

Seems like with all your comments a shared ownership might be the best thing .. I got garage space but would have to buy 2 new porsches at this rate to get the best of fun a new daily driver and one of these toys 

Anyone know the asking price??

Yup, just got an email back!  

Good Afternoon Kurt,

Thank you for your enquiry on the Porsche GT3 that we have listed.

We are asking $149,995 for this vehicle.

The car is Australian delivered with only two owners and full service history, with the major service just completed with Porsche. 

Please send me a contact number if you are seriously interested. 

Gotta say it its a great looking example, if it was a little cheaper I'd of considered buying it to put away :lol: 

Yeah mate I actually thought about buying those a while back- they are off the sole forrest green 996 club sport that lived in QLD. Just not keen on 3 piece and have never heard of autoart for wheels so passed on them.

Aaaaand depot taken on the Atlas Grey car

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2004/SSE-AD-3551840/?Cr=1

I just rang Shannons and asked them up the policy value based on this sale. No questions asked. 

Oh yeah, I know the forrest green car...  colour Code G4G4 Teal Green 

The previous owner is on here come to think of it, he has a 997 GT3 now.. it was for sale the same time as my one was. 

So Shannons increased the value that easy hey? Can you share with us what that is? Pm if you like