996 GT3 Purchase

^^^ always love reading that article :D

997 guys could say the same thing about us 996.2 guys however :P

Agree, following is similar response from a reader @ 2012

What a strange argument: generally subsequent versions of a model are better - the manufacturer has time to improve on most aspects of the design with the benefit of time and customer feedback.

The something that Monkey can't put his finger on is the originality; the first of a breed; the raison d'etre of such a car. The Mk1 996 GT3 is such a beast:
- produced to homologate the model for GT racing.
- the last to be hand built by Porsche Motorsport rather than on the main 996 line.
- limited numbers.
- non-Americanised compromises - they are lower & meaner than the later cars.

So objectively - yes, Monkey is correct. But using this argument you'd simply buy a 997 GT3RS4.0 and be done with it, knowing that you had the best of a long model development. wink

However, subjectively and yes, romantically, you are wrong. They are bought, owned and cherished for what they are and what they represent. biggrin

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling so lucky I got in when I did I wanted an RS 996 for years. But after sweating on them nearly down to what I thought was becoming great value they'd turned and headed north that fast I was left in the dust. That being said I think that a Gt3 is not half the car so for me great value and a wicked car to be lucky to own. 

Feeling so lucky I got in when I did I wanted an RS 996 for years. But after sweating on them nearly down to what I thought was becoming great value they'd turned and headed north that fast I was left in the dust. That being said I think that a Gt3 is not half the car so for me great value and a wicked car to be lucky to own. 

Absolutely mate! 

Shame to miss the RS boat... ?

I have seen a few 996 GT3 RS's for sale lately in the UK, they seem to all be 200,000 pounds and up - the Aussie car at $325k seems to be a bargain. Cars like this should probably be judged on world terms from a pricing perspective.....

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C637090

I'm sure you're right there in that its priced to the global market only about 150K~ GBP, it is pretty disappointing in a lot of ways that its so easy for these cars to leave our shores but nearly impossible to bring anything that new into the country due to regulations.

That blue on white RS IS my dream Porsche.... has to be blue! :D 

In kiwi land - you could pic one up for around $120-130K NZD for a few years.

This will have obvioulsy changed now.

The problem with them going up in value is you don't want to use them as the Factory intended..........

Here's a snippet from a track day yesterday - I am car no 4.....

Trying to get as many track days in as I can before they become too valuable and I have to turn into a 'bonnet polisher'

https://video-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...bd&oe=55CFC318

Atlas Grey 996 GT3 just listed! 

cp5220196079997518494.jpg?aspect=centere

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3551840?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA&sdmvc=1&utm_campaign=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_source=transact&utm_content=autoalert&WT.seg_4=SearchAlert;PCAA 

Atlas Grey and high Km's; My money is on this being the ex Sydney car that was listed in the last 12 months IIRC the asking was about $98K back then.