Funny how the shape of a car affects so much whether a particular colour works on it. The 944 shape looks great in a lot of colours, imho at least, but e.g. the Cayman shape, not so much. In the Cayman I only really like the white, black, some grey and some some (darker) blue cars. Guards/Indian Red on a Cayman I don't like much at all for some reason, whereas a great colour on a 944.

Here's a Zyclam Red Pearl 944 with linen interior - even RHD! (Maybe it's even the same one...)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/6219897-post4.html

I think anyone else would definitely describe that as a burgundy rather than a red. But an interesting and unusual colour nonetheless... I'm still not decided about it on the 944 shape though. I don't *dislike* it... just not sure how much I like it yet.

Each to their own taste, but I absolutely hate that colour combination, that looks like something off Pimp my Porsche. Now real red (like Tingy's turbo) with black interior is a perfect combination for a 944. Silver and grey are pretty good too because it brings out the DB9 like guards on the car and makes it look Aston Martonish. 

My first 944 was almost a Zyclam red car that had been re-sprayed with metallic thrown in, it looked great but it had a burgundy interior, it was just too much for my taste so i passed on it, a western Sydney car.

I'm the same Plugger, i couldn't do a red Cayman but a red 911 somehow looks different to me, i must be weird:wacko: 

Sorry man, I don't make the rules, but the order of desirability goes: Red with black, Grey with black, then black with black. Its just how it is, the gods have decread it...

Sadly you are all mistaken.  It is my understanding that the true King of colours on the 944 desirability scale is Platinum Silver over Marine Blue.  Coincidentally it just so happens that I got incredibly lucky to have sourced that very same desirable colour scheme in my own car - amazing good luck on my behalf.  

Sorry man, I don't make the rules, but the order of desirability goes: Red with black, Grey with black, then black with black. Its just how it is, the gods have decread it...

LOL. The only appeal to the divine in this argument is that God must must have loved the red 944 -- for, like poor people, he made *so many* of them.

But everyone knows in their heart of hearts, that if it isn't black, it isn't *really* a Porsche.

But everyone knows in their heart of hearts, that if it isn't black, it isn't *really* a Porsche.

I doubt Ferry took a page out of Henry Ford's book. 

However I do recall "reading" somewhere that Cobalt blue with Gray interior is the end all and be all in desirability and combine that with a blue rag top and you've blown the desirability meter.

Did you sell the cabriolet?

It's still available. Had quite a bit of interest though. 

Edited by HH1
Wrong spelling

It seems the biggest anchor with the 944 price is the autos.

What is the cost to convert to manual and what kind of formula does this create?

Does an auto sit 10k below a manual of the same condition? 

There just seems to be a heap of autos sitting there..... How many did they make??

It seems the biggest anchor with the 944 price is the autos.

What is the cost to convert to manual and what kind of formula does this create?

Does an auto sit 10k below a manual of the same condition? 

There just seems to be a heap of autos sitting there..... How many did they make??

Too many?

I don't think you can put a price on the difference between auto and manual so many cars in different conditions of wear and tear, If it was 10k you would be giving some of them away.

Is there another manual box that fits these cars?

Too many?

I don't think you can put a price on the difference between auto and manual so many cars in different conditions of wear and tear, If it was 10k you would be giving some of them away.

Is there another manual box that fits these cars?

As I said earlier in this thread, I think expecting more than a $5K discount for an auto in the same condition is probably unreasonable, as you could do the conversion and still have change from $5K, depending on how you went about it. The parts from wrecker manual 944s are readily available enough.

Personally though, I wouldn't even think about bothering unless the car was otherwise something special. In any case, there was (and still is) a market for people who want to drive a 944 auto, despite the performance hit. But the basic arbitrage calculation must kick in at some point.

All a matter of taste, I guess. Some people swear by a tip 968 or 911. Never seen the point, myself (and tiptronic is far superior to the 3-speed VW auto trans on the 2.5L 944). Even PDK (although the first Porsche auto transmission that I would actually consider for a car I owned) leaves me a little ambivalent. I like driving my car. If I wanted to be driven I'd get an Uber!

Edited by Plugger2

I'd agree with Tingy ...too many.

Now if they built a sporto version then different proposition... though an auto ain't a sporto nor a tip... (driven 964 tips in country conditions... fish cooked in milk) and whilst taste and inclination may vary amongst us, I think most autos need to be exceptional to command money anywhere close to a decent manual. 

what's an unreasonable offer?  Particularly as many autos sit in carsales purgatory. Curious to know what the stats on enquiries are