My expensive tent included a free Porsche!

itsujack

Boy, that escalated quickly! I’m now the proud owner of a 2010 987 Spyder. Here’s the story (scroll down if you just want to see the pics).

As some of you know I’d recently been 930 hunting. Started looking at a few, spoke to some sellers, sought advice from this place and lots of kind offers to check out some interstate from those more knowledgable than I. But after a few weeks began to think it might not be the only option. I still think they are amazing and the local otlw almost had me across the line :-). But thought I might try to give him a run with something completely different (add to that trying to decipher what is a fair price for one right now… if someone can please explain to me 930 pricing at the moment I’m all ears).

So what then? The main criteria was finding a great driver’s car, that’s priority number one. Second was something a bit unusual, left of centre and if possible a bit rare, but not crazy money (third was it had to be black, but you all knew that).

So having read a lot and driven a few different options from the shortlist, there were two car’s that kept popping back up, having been on and off my radar for a little while now. If you scroll back through the what’s for sale thread about 18 months or so you’ll see I’ve been secretly harbouring this deep dark desire for either a 987 Spyder or Cayman R…

Every article and review raved about these things being great drivers cars, very rare and still somewhat affordable despite the limited numbers. Most of those articles and reviews I could find were from the launch, but a few are more recent and were even more positive. Chris Harris loves the Spyder. So does James May, that’s good enough for me. Here’s his review on Top Gear a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0VcNPFq0O4

I’ve never owned a cab before either… and considering we are so far into YOTC with little action, Spyder Hunting it was. Porsche made less than 2,000 of these babies for the whole world so not many around but there were two for sale. One was a private sale down in Melbourne (one owner, like new, very tidy, full history) Apogee kindly offered to check it out for me (at time of writing this one is still for sale). The other in Sydney at PCSS and importantly the right colour. Inspected it when PCSS took it along to Club Concourse a couple weeks ago and then drove it… wow, was not expecting that, absolutely loved it. They’d recently done a full service on it including pads, discs, tyres. I did a bit of digging on it’s history and discovered some track history, ok they’re designed to be driven, so that never bothers me, these things should be driven and it has comprehensive service history with PRtech so that’s positive, but an independent PPI was a must and might give room for some negotiation on price. More digging, identified past owners, inspections, then a low ball offer, rejected, countered, recounted, deal, um, ok! 

So collection is tomorrow. A very short list of a few cosmetic things which I can address over time, and being black in desperate need of a good paint correction. But seriously, what’s not to love; less weight (light-weight aluminium doors, boot, frunk, no power roof) plus more power, lower suspension, carbon fibre buckets, PDK, crazy roof and how about them HUMPS! 

So, YOTC is quickly coming to a close people, who’s with me?… anyone?… anyone?

Couple of phone snaps from the test drive and ppi, will post up some more when she arrives home later this week. Here she is in all her tented glory!

SPY_20161010_001_zpsle3rf7az.jpg

SPY_20161010_002_zpsm3nh16jp.jpg

SPY_20161010_003_zpsfoqxe1oa.jpg

SPY_20161010_004_zpsjrn55l8s.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a ripper . Never seen one up close but this looks mighty impressive . Good story also . I always like to hear the theory behind the purchase or desire think sometimes it truly makes the adventure . This is a ripper . Great work !

Change the thread title please, A hairdressers 987 Spyder - Black, Black, Black!! 

You can leave the 964 title, because we know who really owns it! ? 

All shit aside, love it! Look forward to getting out for a blast. ? 

mrs itsujack will love it mate ;) 

mrs itsujack just gave you the bird. regardless, thinking about changing my instagram to paddington_hrdr

I rest my case your honour.:lol:

it took about 2 minutes longer than I expected ;)

What a ripper . Never seen one up close but this looks mighty impressive . Good story also . I always like to hear the theory behind the purchase or desire think sometimes it truly makes the adventure . This is a ripper . Great work !

thanks steve, half the fun is the chase. but really looking forward to getting to know it now!

Congrats, stunning car and looks great in black, only ever seen a white one. Did a track day at Phillip Island and followed it home at the end. Could not take my eyes off those humps!

But I must insert the obligatory hairdresser joke here...

You can pick up these stickers on ebay, could save unnecessary break-ins.  Don't want them taking to the ragtop with their scissors!

s-l1000.jpg

But I must insert the obligatory hairdresser joke here...

You can pick up these stickers on ebay, could save unnecessary break-ins.  Don't want them taking to the ragtop with their scissors!

s-l1000.jpg

The eagle eyed among you will note that one of the previous owners removed the PORSCHE script from both sides, or it wasn't delivered with it. Tossing up whether to put it back, but maybe I just run this text down the side instead :(

Only ever seen white.  Black, I like.  Looks much tougher.  Good choice.

The roof will be a challenge, saw a guy at Sandown battling to get his up as the rain hit.  I once parked my clubbie under an overpass on the freeway during a storm, easier than wrestling the roof up.  And at 90+ the rain went over the top anyway.  Traffic lights presented an issue though.  Enjoy.

The eagle eyed among you will note that one of the previous owners removed the PORSCHE script from both sides, or it wasn't delivered with it. Tossing up whether to put it back, but maybe I just run this text down the side instead :(

Easy done! :P

Hairdresser_zpssxy1uhpn.jpg

Easy done! :P

Hairdresser_zpssxy1uhpn.jpg

genius. Excellent use of photoshop skills Trev

nice one Trev, but you should know us paddington folk are Aesop people.

and should it be paddington_hrdr or paddington_hdsr, I'm not sure the correct abbreviation :(

you wont have the issue of ugly fat US overriders to fit between mate - HRDRSR :D

Congratulations! Good looking car, well done. 

Haters gonna hate but I think it's a great addition to your garage and will offer a whole different experience to your 964. You now have the best of both worlds and truth be told convertibles are a heap of fun too - especially in a car like this that was penned from the outset to be a roadster. 

I quite like the script on these and the caymans, maybe in a matt black for that subtle contrast! Enjoy! 

Archived