Realestate - buyers, sellers, purveyors and dreamers

Tips

looks like a cheap simple build....not.  I run a building business and we design and built a lot of sloping site projects.  But that....well that's just in another league.  Cracked my spot. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Would it be out whack to not think piling = $$$$ (a few nice P cars foregone just for the geotech and foundation contractors) and notwithstanding looks to be decent solid rock at some depth, I'm guessing driving piles with a 30 year old piling rig and crew starting at 6.30am isn't in the design brief, / bodes well for relationships with new neighbours. 

I have visions of progress photo's with bored / drilled piles, steel framing (galvanised???)  with precast panels and solid concrete floors and then a fair bit of stainless of the 316 marine grade variety further down the track.  Cheap simple build indeed....not

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found an 2.5 acres in Newcastle's western suburbs i guess we'll call it for under a mill, 5 beds, 3 baths and 7 car garaging, could not get her to budge from where we are.

In a lakeside suburb with a set of old shops with everything we need closer than i can throw a stone with 2 cafes and a bowling club an 8 min walk away, the water 300mts away, i guess she did have  a compelling argument not to move.

At the moment i am getting my dad's house ready for sale as he is in a nursing home now, I picked the local real estate to sell as they really know this area, trouble is my old man has never done to much maintenence on the place and i just got a quote for over $6k to paint the inside:o

unfortunately that's about right. 

I have a friend who is a shopfitter, basically these guys are jack of all trades, carpentry, tiling, plastering, plumbing and a few others thrown in and he can't sit still so he is keen to help, on Friday we patched every room ready for paint now and he is telling me to get a new kitchen measured up and he will install it:o

One day you will see the light and go the other way ;) 

Move OUT of the city and then you can have enough space to have as many cars as you like :D 

or find one of the last big Melburg bayside blocks with a classic 1920's house and a backyard large enough to build a proper above ground garage :D

At the moment i am getting my dad's house ready for sale as he is in a nursing home now, I picked the local real estate to sell as they really know this area, trouble is my old man has never done to much maintenence on the place and i just got a quote for over $6k to paint the inside:o

A mate got the same $6k quote. Gang of 4 guys would do it within 3 days. Got another quote, 1 or 2 blokes $3500 done within 5 days

Don't pay for painter gangs

A mate got the same $6k quote. Gang of 4 guys would do it within 3 days. Got another quote, 1 or 2 blokes $3500 done within 5 days

If you are just repainting walls, that is easy and quick. It is when you have to go around and paint all the trim and the doors, that is where the time and dollars add up. I HATE oil based paint, but the water based enamels are just not as good.

I doubt I am the only one with this habit! 

So you're trawling the real estate sites looking for properties in an area of interest, on the summary sheet they specify garage space/s, you enter the add and click through all photos to try and find photos of the garage first before you'll even bother spending the time to look at any other shots, only to find they have not bothered to include any! But they do have that artistic close up shot of a candle with a man in a black turtleneck walking by... 

In my extremist point of view, these agents should have their license revoked as they are communists who hate cars. 

I hate painting at the best of times, yet did my laundry a few weeks ago, and did the little room yesterday in white (was cream with a brown 'feature' wall. Bloody horrible). Should've done the architraves and window frames with enamel, but I just couldn't be arsed with the prep etc. 

Also spray painted the tiles around the laundry sink as an experiment (and because I'm too lazy to re tile). Seems to be holding up ok

I hate painting at the best of times, yet did my laundry a few weeks ago, and did the little room yesterday in white (was cream with a brown 'feature' wall. Bloody horrible). Should've done the architraves and window frames with enamel, but I just couldn't be arsed with the prep etc. 

Also spray painted the tiles around the laundry sink as an experiment (and because I'm too lazy to re tile). Seems to be holding up ok

I still generally use the water based enamel, because I am also too lazy ;) 

So you're trawling the real estate sites looking for properties in an area of interest, on the summary sheet they specify garage space/s, you enter the add and click through all photos to try and find photos of the garage first before you'll even bother spending the time to look at any other shots, only to find they have not bothered to include any! But they do have that artistic close up shot of a candle with a man in a black turtleneck walking by... 

In my extremist point of view, these agents should have their license revoked as they are communists who hate cars. 

When I was looking Inner West and Eastern Suburbs many moons ago I'd dismiss any property immediately unless it had off street parking for at least 3 cars. You're not alone.

That was over 10 years ago now and I still remember the addresses off the top of my head of my favourite houses which were all due to the above average parking in their given area.

I still generally use the water based enamel, because I am also too lazy ;) 

Huh? You're ex army, now a firey restoring a 911 and a house at the same time, with a 240 Z and an Alfa in the shed waiting for a resto, not to mention a videographer/Youtube megastar, and you call yourself lazy? 

Drop into my joint mate, then you'll see what lazy is ;) 

This guy works on his own, he told me how fussy he was, blah, blah, blah.

Just a reminder guys - don't let this one go!

Fantastic location, plenty of land and not too much that you have to pay for excess land.

Knock it down, build your very own @hugh (Aych) designed,  @DJM constructed masterpiece or live in it as is - the house was built in 1965 by the previous owner and was lovingly maintained by her until I bought it 4 years ago. It has some appeal as is and is in perfect repair. I haven't had any problems with it at all during my ownership. I had every intention of building my own masterpiece but I have a new opportunity, so I'm giving you all the chance to get into a very sought after street and suburb in the best city in the world.

Dont let this opportunity pass you by!

One week to get your finances in order - don't worry, I'm cheaper than @turboT!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-camberwell-124638998

I've also been a long time garage searcher - which doesn't sit well with being a rusted on inner city tragic.  But I got there in the end - aiming for around 10 cars plus workshop in the current renovation. #warehouselife

I've also been a long time garage searcher - which doesn't sit well with being a rusted on inner city tragic.  But I got there in the end - aiming for around 10 cars plus workshop in the current renovation. #warehouselife

The garage is the first thing i look at.

Definitely you did, thats a property of a lifetime that you guys have! Those opportunities are diminishing by the minute in Sydney. 

Sydney has to have some sort of pull back, or at least stop going up you would think. Once you price your own citizens out of the market you're not far off a housing crash.

Back to the thread.... nice little apartment - only room for 8 cars :P:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-darlinghurst-124658526

Gee only 8 spots ?

Was told by a mate who has a friend that is a valuer and did the valuation on an apartment at woolloomooloo about 8 years ago that was supposed to have 20 parking spots that were at the time valued as much as the apartment. Not sure how true but  the source was reliable....

Archived