Realestate - buyers, sellers, purveyors and dreamers

Tips

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So seeing as I seem to have started this thread I might aswell show you the next move.  Yes I am mad because I have just put my family through 2 years of hell building the last house, but I do love a 'worst house in the best street' challenge. This fits the bill. A very small block of 230m2 for the area.  What is best described as a fucked up apartment block with a 45 degree slope to the rear. But 200m from Bronte beach and the views....oh the views. The design process is already underway as we anticipate some interesting challenges with council. A complete knock down.  Wont be easy, but that would be boring ;)

147623501312490875-rsd_zpsu7l3ed7y.jpg

IMG_8226_zpsb30zhf2o.jpg

IMG_8302_zpsn6ibrguk.jpg

IMG_8222_zpsizwh1ujk.jpg

IMG_8223_zpscm3otgnx.jpg

IMG_8285_zpswypyobon.jpg

At this stage I'll probably be in the market for a small place with minimal garden in a couple of years. A 3 bedder on 400m2 or something like that. I hate gardening. I'm toying with the idea of moving back to the city as it's close to my work. I like the idea of an inner city apartment, but I don't think my dog would like it so much.  On the other side, all my friends and a lot of my family are in the hills, so that's one thing that may keep me here.

The better option would be to get a 3 bedder on an 800m2 block and don't worry about garden, just build a 400m2 garage :D 

Now that the OTLW riff raff is moving out, who's interested in Paddo? 

This just around the corner from us. Live/Work option. Parking for three cars (and what luxury being all above ground @turboT:D

https://www.domain.com.au/11-13-roylston-street-paddington-nsw-2021-2013408539 

2013408539_1_pi_170221_071404-w1920-h108

2013408539_2_pi_170221_071414-w1600-h120

2013408539_10_pi_170221_071521-w1600-h12

2013408539_12_fi_170221_071551-w2481-h17

Not bad, but so many dodgy architects live in that area......:ph34r:

How do you even knock that down without smashing the neighbours glass balustrade??

you better build some serious garage in the new design, with a hermetically sealed door.  That 76 isn't galvanised and thar be plenty of salty air blowin up that thar hill.

i really should progress my Reno plans beyond the endless paper sketches and dreams of magnificence.

i do approve of the complete lack of gum trees though.  Give the council hell.

>Do you think buyers are a rare breed of gullible people who will easily be talked into paying too much. You are obviously a buyer as well. Have you over paid for a property because of an agents slick sales approach?

returning to this theme, I don't think you can go wrong underestimating the sophistication of the average house buyer.  Very often emotion and short term thinking drives their decision making.

the last place I sold was a big step up from the previously highest price amongst a set of identical townhouses.  The difference was a minor Reno inside, AC fitted (where no others had it) and a couple that had just sold that day and their daughter loved around the corner and had a new baby.

They could have done all those things for less than the markup they paid but it was done, for sale right now and they were not price sensitive.

i have heard lots of BS form people's mouths when they have bought a new place, regurgitating what the agent sold them on.  So yes, people buy on emotions and a good agent knows how to work that emotion, or at least to hide obvious faults of a house like facing due west on a western hill.  Back in the 1990s an agent was trying to sell me a property jammed next to an ugly vacant lot, and pulled out a slick commercial brochure saying how the vacant lot was about to become a trendy cafe precinct yada yada.  I saw the place fifteen years later and still next to an ex-commercial vacant block, graffiti and vandalism 10x worse.  But I'm sure someone bought it.

So yes I think a good agent can make the difference, and so can a smart seller doing it themselves.  The worst of all options is paying a bad agent to do a bad job.

View from the driveway @turboT is very "Manchester council house" and they were demolished 10 years ago, so I'm pleased you're doing the same ;)

I don't envy you the planning process or build cost (mostly the build cost :lol:), but based on the video of your current house I can't wait to see what you come up with there, it'll be stunning. At least the OTLW will be more affordable for us mere mortals once it's been eaten by the salty atmosphere ;)

The better option would be to get a 3 bedder on an 800m2 block and don't worry about garden, just build a 400m2 garage :D 

It would be nice but council will not let anyone go this big, ask me how i know, not on that size block anyway unless it's part of the house.

My next move on the garage is 2 storey and 2 hoists.

So seeing as I seem to have started this thread I might aswell show you the next move.  Yes I am mad because I have just put my family through 2 years of hell building the last house, but I do love a 'worst house in the best street' challenge. This fits the bill. A very small block of 230m2 for the area.  What is best described as a fucked up apartment block with a 45 degree slope to the rear. But 200m from Bronte beach and the views....oh the views. The design process is already underway as we anticipate some interesting challenges with council. A complete knock down.  Wont be easy, but that would be boring ;)

147623501312490875-rsd_zpsu7l3ed7y.jpg

IMG_8226_zpsb30zhf2o.jpg

looks like a cheap simple build....not.  I run a building business and we design and built a lot of sloping site projects.  But that....well that's just in another league.  Cracking spot. Good Luck and keep us posted.

All this talk about knocking down and rebuilding...

Have I got a deal for you! Here is a great sized block in a great street in a great suburb. 743m2 in Glyndon Rd, Camberwell. And it's for sale!

Auction Sat 4 Mar.

Perfect for a new Aych Architecture masterpiece eh @hugh?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-camberwell-124638998

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, you can always talk to me about this one in Surrey Hills...

F809BF31-A596-496F-A5DD-C6649B83FD7B_zps

looks like a cheap simple build....not.  I run a building business and we design and built a lot of sloping site projects.  But that....well that's just in another league.  Cracked my spot. Good Luck and keep us posted.

working through the first set of drawings tonight with an architect mate. Apart from being an amazing architect, his last job was designing cities in China and currently Westfield shopping centres, so this will be a walk in the park.....come to think of it a lot of carparking experience involved with that lot too ;) 

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, you can always talk to me about this one in Surrey Hills...

mistakenly put 'Surrey hills' into the sat Nav when trying to figure out the way back to the office from some far flung western suburbs job. About 45 minutes later I realised I was on my way to Melbourne...

It would be nice but council will not let anyone go this big, ask me how i know, not on that size block anyway unless it's part of the house.

My next move on the garage is 2 storey and 2 hoists.

Haha, council be damned (bloody fun police). Who needs a house anyway, just a big garage with a cot in the corner is all you need :D 

I can see another car lift in your future. Either that or a mid-level garage.

Looked at a place in South Coogee 10 years ago that was 300m ish on a similar slope, 4 stories with the street level being mostly garage. Level above was master bedroom and nursery, bedrooms and living areas were below the garage. Having a lift helped.

Archived