Would a PPI be able to discover any bore scoring due to cold oil?

I think even the Porsche Experience cars dont get flogged until the cold temp light goes off around 60-65 degrees for the oil.

1 minute ago, HWY said:

Would a PPI be able to discover any bore scoring due to cold oil?

I think even the Porsche Experience cars dont get flogged until the cold temp light goes off around 60-65 degrees for the oil.

No.  Without they stuck a bore scope down a plug hole which wouldn't be part of a standard check.  It would be hard to tell in general though.

• 2 weeks later...

Side question for the 991 followers - what are base Carrera 991.2 changing hands for at present?

The carsales ask is low/mid 190’s, so is 175/180 about right?

Asking for a friend…

• 3 weeks later...

So…..after inspecting the car, the dealer advised  it’s an ex Perth car, two owners. Thinking of taking a run at it. Any guidance on what 992.1 with this spec trades for these days? I am happy to pay market, just not sure what this is.

Many thanks.

Any advice welcomed.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-porsche-911-gt3-991-ii-manual-my18/OAG-AD-23293527 

I can't really comment on price because of bias, but believe it or not reversing camera was an option that not all cars have. If you're anything like me with a lot of cars reversing camera is of benefit when you're trying to cram cars into garages.

Club sport manual with cage and buckets, pretty much the spec most people (not all), want. Buckets were a $13k option on the 991.2. Not mentioned in the ad it looks like it has the leather interior package (5k), and PLDS (LED headlights, 5k), carbon interior package too (I don't remember the price, but probably 4k-5k). Looks like a car pushing $50k in options.

They were 353k drive away in NSW, not sure what they were in WA.

Hope that helps.

20 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Any guidance on what 992.1 with this spec trades for these days? I am happy to pay market, just not sure what this is.

@DJM has transacted one in recent times, I think he could give you a fair account. 

No expertise here other than too much time on Carsales … but while we wait for DJM with some actual info 😂 … I notice the cheapest manual was listed in January for $385k and has been $350k since start of June…

I didn’t compare spec and k’s are 4x more on this car but it’s interesting.

Few of the others have sat for a while too (black one since March ‘23!) so don’t think the asking prices are “the market” but still seems dependent on how keen the seller is to move something on, many seem happy to wait.

Good luck @Joe Bloggs, let us know how your run at it goes 👍

3 hours ago, edgy said:

@DJM has transacted one in recent times, I think he could give you a fair account. 

@DJM is enjoying some hiking in Switzerland so likely offline for the moment. 

If I was to add my 2 cents @Joe Bloggs, you should be able to pick up a well spec’ed 991.2 for low 3’s - they aren’t moving at high or even mid 3’s and only more coming in the market weekly. 

Pre covid I know of a few that moved sub 3’s. We aren’t there yet but my feeling is we will be soon enough. 

Has a manual ever sold under $330k? I don’t remember seeing one, could be wrong though. Plenty of autos have though, a couple around $295k.

Definitely the most on the market there has ever been though. Could be some deals floating around.

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

Has a manual ever sold under $330k? I don’t remember seeing one, could be wrong though. Plenty of autos have though, a couple around $295k.

Definitely the most on the market there has ever been though. Could be some deals floating around.

I bought a PDK 991.2 GT3 clubsport for $291k, like new with 4000km, Feb 2021

i very nearly bought a manual at that time for similar money (over rev check killed the deal) - it was advertised at $325k but the owner was open to a lower number.  He ended up keeping it a while to meet Porsche’s requirements to cover a bunch more kms, get bores inspected and oil analysed and then get the Porsche warranty reinstated which I believe he was able to do and then on sold or swapped it.  

i seemed to have fluked the low point in the 991.2 market and they were quickly back into low to mid 3s so probably very few changed hands sub 320k.  I am not across recent sales activity so not sure what the right buy price is now.

17 hours ago, sleazius said:

I can't really comment on price because of bias, but believe it or not reversing camera was an option that not all cars have. If you're anything like me with a lot of cars reversing camera is of benefit when you're trying to cram cars into garages.

Club sport manual with cage and buckets, pretty much the spec most people (not all), want. Buckets were a $13k option on the 991.2. Not mentioned in the ad it looks like it has the leather interior package (5k), and PLDS (LED headlights, 5k), carbon interior package too (I don't remember the price, but probably 4k-5k). Looks like a car pushing $50k in options.

They were 353k drive away in NSW, not sure what they were in WA.

Hope that helps.

Mine had buckets, cage, reversing camera, PDLS, chrono, leather dash so was well spec’d.  Porsche Perth listed at $324,990 but the owner clawed it back from he dealer and sold to me for $290k plus $1k to cover his costs which is what he would have received had Porsche sold it for him.  I got a lucky tip off from his mate on PFA

I on sold it to PCM/PCSS after maybe 6 months for, from memory, 310k via Porsche Sell Direct (which covered my on road costs).  I reckon they on sold it for maybe 330-335 quite quickly.  That gives an indication of market movement back then.

IMG_0583.png

3 hours ago, hugh said:

@DJM is enjoying some hiking in Switzerland so likely offline for the moment. 

Always trawling PFA, Carsales and YouTube wherever I am 😂

My gut says if you wait 992s will momentarily drop below 991.2s. Not because it is a better car, just because the 992 was the peak of the speculative models, there are more of them than any other generation, and far more of them are likely under finance with their owners getting squeezed.

During the GFC the best deals were on cars that were sub 3 years old for the same reasons. Past performance is not indicative of future values of course, but there were haircuts on 18mth old Ferraris and Lambos back then of 50-60%. 997.1 GT3 RS nudged $200k at the time.

Mid term I reckon they’ll both end up cheaper than the 997.2 just because of the sheer number of them. That will probably reverse once the cars end up absorbed by the enthusiast market and become more illiquid.

The ball is definitely in the court of the car buyer at the moment, and I reckon things could get spicy if we get another interest rate rise or two.

Agreed on the 992’s. They made a heap of them. And I assume they will crank out 992 GT3RS cars. From memory wasn’t there an anomaly of more RS 991.1’s than 991.1 GT3’s?

Also the finance one is interesting. I always finance cars as it’s better for me with tax etc. and they are fixed loan rates. But you are right. Anyone who is using home equity to finance and taking money out of an offset will be experiencing a crunch.  

Production numbers as you know are a guesstimate based on vins and total 911 sales (as Porsche only release total 911 sales these days).

Conventional wisdom says that the global ratio was about 2:1, GT3 to GT3 RS. However the speculation on both 991.1 and 991.2 is that Australia specifically traded GT3 allocations in order to get more GT3 RS allocations which are much higher profit margin.

The most recent example was the GT4 and the GT4 RS. I think we’ll continue to see that in the future. It makes sense as Australia is one of the top profit per unit countries for Porsche AG, they should maximise that where they can.

The significant RRP price increases rises we’ve seen over the last ~4 years is also offsetting some of the downward pressure on these cars. You’re now looking at $320k drive away for a base Carrera in VIC. Similar money got you a 991.2 GT3 in 2018.

51 minutes ago, tomk86 said:

The significant RRP price increases rises we’ve seen over the last ~4 years is also offsetting some of the downward pressure on these cars. You’re now looking at $320k drive away for a base Carrera in VIC. Similar money got you a 991.2 GT3 in 2018.

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the next GT3 is $550k no options + 75k to get the usual goodies.

Purely speculation on 992.1 GT3 numbers these cars were very difficult to get with Covid and the issues in Ukraine stifling build numbers.
The volume for sale  atm is very normal 12-24 months after cars hit buyers hands.

I wouldn’t be reading anything into the market from a build perspective for the 992.1 current prices will seem relatively cheap in the near term based on Porsche current pricing structure and what’s ahead with the new GT3.

GT3 numbers

991.1 6000 cars

991.2 9000 cars

992.1 yet to be formalized

will be way less than the 991.1 delivery numbers probably somewhere between 997.2 and 991.1.

4 hours ago, tomk86 said:

$320K + on roads in 2018 for GT3 base car most were $370 -390k

3 hours ago, SS 3 said:

$320K + on roads in 2018 for GT3 base car most were $370 -390k

$353k was including onroads in NSW with no options.

3 hours ago, SS 3 said:

Purely speculation on 992.1 GT3 numbers these cars were very difficult to get with Covid and the issues in Ukraine stifling build numbers.
The volume for sale  atm is very normal 12-24 months after cars hit buyers hands.

I wouldn’t be reading anything into the market from a build perspective for the 992.1 current prices will seem relatively cheap in the near term based on Porsche current pricing structure and what’s ahead with the new GT3.

GT3 numbers

991.1 6000 cars

991.2 9000 cars

992.1 yet to be formalized

will be way less than the 991.1 delivery numbers probably somewhere between 997.2 and 991.1.

Based on the build numbers in the US there will be more 992.1 than 991.2 cars produced. US production is usually ~40% of global.

Up to 01/04/24 US production only:

Wing: 3365 cars

Touring: 1596 cars

Total: 4961 cars

Suggesting ~12000 global cars produced up until 01/04.

991 Numbers for comparison

991 GT Series - 34,048 units WW / NA (USA +Canada)

2019 Speedster - 1,948 / 717
18/19 GT2RS - 3,751 / 1,315
2019 GT3RS - 4,750 / 1,760 (1,465 +295)
18/19 GT3 - 9,520 / 3,250
2016 911R - 991 / 325
2016 GT3RS - 4,520 / 1,530 (1,318 +212)
2016 GTS RennSport - 25 / 25
2016 GTS Club Coupe - 60 / 60
14-16 GT3 - 6,520 / 2,205
2014 GTS 50th anniversary- 1963 / 750

44 minutes ago, sleazius said:

$353k was including onroads in NSW with no options.

Based on the build numbers in the US there will be more 992.1 than 991.2 cars produced. US production is usually ~40% of global.

Up to 01/04/24 US production only:

Wing: 3365 cars

Touring: 1596 cars

Total: 4961 cars

Suggesting ~12000 global cars produced up until 01/04.

Those “total” numbers are highly speculative and very unlikely .

It goes against all information I have received from PCA.

BTW I’m not here to play tit for tat just keen to try and keep some balance on the information shared on the forum. 

Let’s wait and see what gets made public by PCA. 

54 minutes ago, sleazius said:

991 Numbers for comparison

991 GT Series - 34,048 units WW / NA (USA +Canada)

2019 Speedster - 1,948 / 717
18/19 GT2RS - 3,751 / 1,315
2019 GT3RS - 4,750 / 1,760 (1,465 +295)
18/19 GT3 - 9,520 / 3,250
2016 911R - 991 / 325
2016 GT3RS - 4,520 / 1,530 (1,318 +212)
2016 GTS RennSport - 25 / 25
2016 GTS Club Coupe - 60 / 60
14-16 GT3 - 6,520 / 2,205
2014 GTS 50th anniversary- 1963 / 750

Makes sense. They seem to be able to crank out about 7k GT cars a year.