996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

21 hours ago, Clarkie said:

But I can tell you this. Park any stock 996 in any trim (excluding GT2) in row and then drop this blue beauty in and see what gets more attention. Might be why I have a curvy redhead missus. Lol. 

I'm holidaying on the main island of Orkney. Today I found this for you ? btw there are quite a few redheads in Scotland , diluted by Norse blood in the Orkney region.
HnTphj0.jpg

4 hours ago, tazzieman said:

I'm holidaying on the main island of Orkney. Today I found this for you ? btw there are quite a few redheads in Scotland , diluted by Norse blood in the Orkney region.
HnTphj0.jpg

Gold. Love it. 

Yeah my missus is the true ginger. As red as you get. With the temper and soul eating characters we love. Lol 

On 3/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, MARTY said:

Anybody tracking prices of all 996's ?? I've been observing them for a bit it seems some private sales on carsales are trying to ask more $$$ than dealers are asking,me thinks some people are just being a bit greedy on price.

Can't help with tracking prices and my data is a tad old however in 2016 I bought a 2004 Manual 996 Cabriolet in Midnight blue with 39,000 kms.  I paid $54,000.  I jumped on the car within two days of it being advertised.   In speaking with the seller after settlement, he was receiving many calls offering mid $30s to mid $40s.  There were only a handful of serious buyers I understand but many time wasters.

The problem one has in tracking prices is that you can only view the asking price.  My car was originally advertised for $56,800 on Car Sales.  I thought the price I paid was very fair.  I was specifically after a low mileage cabriolet and it was easily the best car I saw after looking on and off for 3-4 years.

At the time in early 2016 there were approximately 80 996s advertised with many manual transmission cars in coupe, targa and cabriolet versions.  A quick look just now suggests most of the decent, no stories cars are now with long term owners (Like myself).

Pricing is a tricky thing, if you're looking for a car and you find what you want in the colour, specification and condition, just buy it.  At the time I bought mine, another friend was looking for a similar specification 996 and he told me I paid $10,000 over market.  He could have been right.  But my friend is still looking for that bargain 996 2 years later, maybe one day he'll find it.  Car forums abound with pricing threads and prospective purchases trying to dictate what they should pay.  Life is short, enjoy.

5 hours ago, carl888 said:

Can't help with tracking prices and my data is a tad old however in 2016 I bought a 2004 Manual 996 Cabriolet in Midnight blue with 39,000 kms.  I paid $54,000.  I jumped on the car within two days of it being advertised.   In speaking with the seller after settlement, he was receiving many calls offering mid $30s to mid $40s.  There were only a handful of serious buyers I understand but many time wasters.

The problem one has in tracking prices is that you can only view the asking price.  My car was originally advertised for $56,800 on Car Sales.  I thought the price I paid was very fair.  I was specifically after a low mileage cabriolet and it was easily the best car I saw after looking on and off for 3-4 years.

At the time in early 2016 there were approximately 80 996s advertised with many manual transmission cars in coupe, targa and cabriolet versions.  A quick look just now suggests most of the decent, no stories cars are now with long term owners (Like myself).

Pricing is a tricky thing, if you're looking for a car and you find what you want in the colour, specification and condition, just buy it.  At the time I bought mine, another friend was looking for a similar specification 996 and he told me I paid $10,000 over market.  He could have been right.  But my friend is still looking for that bargain 996 2 years later, maybe one day he'll find it.  Car forums abound with pricing threads and prospective purchases trying to dictate what they should pay.  Life is short, enjoy.

Great post and a lot of learning's there. People will always either procrastinate or hold back thinking a better offering will come along. Or a better deal.  It rarely happens, buyers should just seize the day and take the opportunity. Buy the best car you can afford. Whats expensive today will normally be cheap tomorrow.

I have also noted that the number of 996's being offered up for sale is steadily decreasing. Good quality, low km cars are few and far between.

Cheers,

Dave.

Just like the property market when I bought some 10 years ago (back when you did property inspections prior to making an offer) the builder who inspected said this place ain’t worth a third of the asking price (reflecting on early 90’s pricing). I don’t believe anything you buy should be a “bargain” rather you should pay on value. Yep- buy it drive it an get on with it! 

10 minutes ago, Clarkie said:

Took the Boxster in today for a chat. Soooooo. Next week if all goes to plans, I’ll be Boxsterless and 996 poor. Lol 

A wise man once quoted recently on this very forum topic 'Life is short, enjoy' ?

10 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

I'm a big advocate for paying what you've decided a good car is worth to you and then jumping on it no delay! There's 4 or 5 of you guys over the past few pages happy to pay full retail and more ... hope you're all around, open wallets, when I decide to move my X51 onto the next collector :Beer:

Is it Miami Blue? ?

congrats on the potential purchase clarkie,

totally agree, jump on it if you can, and who cares about where prices move, if it moves up bonus, if it moves down, still bonus, u still own your dream car and u aint selling it anyway!

0.1 coupe manual (60K+)

0.2 coupe manual (65-70K+)

Wow.. really? wasn't too long ago the prices were more in the line of 996.1 man coup - 40K, 996.2 man coup 50k.

(edit: that said i missed out on a few choice low k 996.2 man coups at 57-58k, so i guess even back then my pricing was wrong)

So how much would a 140k kms 996.2 with a Aerokit Carrera, no sunroof manual from UK be worth these days.  ;)

22 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Don't think I've seen this particular one mentioned before

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-5432289/?Cr=2

$23k a big bill for a new engine from Porsche?????

I remember looking at an early 997 @ Porsche South Sydney. When I asked about IMS fixes, they quoted some idiotic figure - $11-12k from memory.

Take whatever the stealership charges for service work with a massive grain of salt.

44 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I remember looking at an early 997 @ Porsche South Sydney. When I asked about IMS fixes, they quoted some idiotic figure - $11-12k from memory.

Take whatever the stealership charges for service work with a massive grain of salt.

Later M96s (replacements) and M97s have a 'non-serviceable' IMS basically meaning the entire engine needs to be torn down to replace the bearing.

That's where the cost is.

23 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Don't think I've seen this particular one mentioned before

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-5432289/?Cr=2

$23k a big bill for a new engine from Porsche?????

I think I saw that for sale on Gumtree in a different area a few months ago, its interesting it has a GT3 front bar, side skirts and then a Carrera wing. I really don't like those wheels!

If anyone buys it i've got standard rims and a GT3 aerokit wing to finish it off properly! :-p

9 hours ago, Trimar666 said:

Appears to be an import but if like me you like Targas it could be a good buy. Sub $50k.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-5438699

If it is an import price might be slightly high but you don't see many about and has good km's,like @dan_189 says that interior would put me off and you would hope nothing would go wrong with the roof.